Season 282 - Men In Black

I loves me some Johnny Cash! Great theme. Thanks for hosting.

I post this hoping the battery on my laptop will last long enough to complete the process. I'm in semi-darkness as we're in the midst of a planned blackout for grid maintenance here in Yangon city. It seems I make a lot of videos when the lights are out. Ain't no TV or other entertainment to distract me.

I have a confession to make. My name isn't really Joko. I changed my name about 10 years ago. Before that, I was Gilbert. I never liked that name although I don't blame my dad for it. That said, I can understand the sentiments of the protagonist in this song.

Last edited:
Well that is funny innit? Not that I would ever condone fighting or consumption of alcohol...
Well, I have a favorite. Here we go, part two of the session.

Another one from The Man in Black (or one of them, anyway)

Don't want to tread on Wim's toes here but the minute I saw this on the Johnny Cash list I had to do it. I sung in a band in high school, run by one of the teachers, and this is the first song we did. Auditioned for a show the school was putting on at the local theatre, the guitarist broke a string but we powered through.

Didn't get the gig so now I'm gonna make you lot sit through it instead.

For some odd reason, my banjolele likes to play waltzes about the perils of whiskey. Here is a song named "Don't Sell Daddy Anymore Whiskey". In YouTube a cover by Johnny Cash can be found. Apparently it is from the "Unchained" outtakes.

"The Fiddle Players National Anthem", rightly should be played with at least two fiddles. Each dueling each other in the A part. The B and C parts of the tune are a more conventional breakdown. "Orange Blossom Special" is a twisted tune. The A part is done in the Key of E and the remainder in the Key of A.
In the original recording in 1939 The Rouse Brothers sang the lyrics, a refinement modern fiddlers would do well to adopt.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Well Roy's version of Blue Bayou is in a lower key than the later ones covered by others. So I recorded one early this morning to try to capture his style. Maybe not quite, but here it is.

Ciao

For this season, I have created a song that I would have offered to Roy Orbison had I been a songwriter in the early 1960s (and had I had the right connections :) ). I am sure his massive range would have made this one a classic.

Thematically, it is a 1960s version of my last entry. Only in that one the narrator is a 21st C. man and realises that blaming his ex-partner for everything is avoiding the issue of his own inadequacies and bad decisions.

Our hero this time is a true 1960s guy and still views the break up as him being a victim of a femme fatale, That was my deliberate intention as the song seeks to capture the early 1960s vibe that "The Big O" himself represented so well in many of his hits (and not so hits).

Anyway, I hope you like it. Backing by "Band in a Box" again. That programme has come a long way from the cheesy keyboard backing tracks its early incarnations produced.

Ok...This song kicked my butt. After several takes of getting close but no cigar, I kept this not perfect take cause I was running out of time, and my throat was rapidly getting sore(Gee wonder why). I did this in Orbison's key, with some liberal use of falsetto on the high notes..What did I get myself into here?? lol

A brief but direct song by Mr. Cash. He could cram a lot of lyrics into unconventional meters. Oh well, if I could pick "Wildwood Flower," I'd do it ...

Another song written by Johnny Cash, from the same album as my previous entry (Look At Them Beans). Dripping Springs is a town in the Texas hill country where Willie Nelson has his ranch and holds his annual Forth of July Picnic and Country Music Extravaganza.

People mentioned in this song are: Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall, Larry Gatlin, Johnny Duncan, Leon Russell, Johnny Bush, David Allen Coe, Rita Coolidge, and I don't know which Linda he's talking about.

T. Texas Tyler is a more obscure (I think) country music singer who had some hits in the 1940s and '50s. His biggest hit was the spoken-word "Deck of Cards," which was later a huge hit for Wink Martindale. Yes, that Wink Martindale. Tyler's real name was David Luke Myrick, and he was actually from Arkansas.

Gary and I got together to do "Man in Black" for the season. We have both done solo versions for earlier seasons, but I wanted to play our Rosewood Baritone and "Bari-Tenor" as a pair.

Another Sunburst Singers Hit! Well sort of twangy "Cold Cold Heart" at least.:D

Again with the Rosewood Baritone and Bari-Tenor.

Top Bottom