Alternatives to a strap

Chopped Liver

Reaction score
I don't have a strap button on my ukulele (yes, I know I can put one on). But I am interested in something different. I don't particularly want something around my neck. Also, I want to do finger style playing.

What is this device she is using to hold her uke, and where do I get one?

Yes, I specifically have heard good things about the ones sold here:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_945_386&sortby=4

Also, since you mentioned elsewhere on UU that you are following her tutorials, maybe ask Samantha Muir directly, which one she is using in that video and her opinions about it - can't hurt, no?

She is also a member of UU too, so maybe a PM if not email?

Last edited:
I have taken your advice, Booli, and e-mailed her.

I have taken your advice, Booli, and e-mailed her.

That's great!

If possible, please report back what she says, and if you can include a link to the device she is using that would likely also help other folks like you, here on the forum who are looking for strap alternatives as well. :)

I just heard back from her. So, this is what she said:

I tried using a guitar style Ergoplay Tappert rest. It is too big, however, for the soprano and I stopped using it as it kept falling off. Now I use a strap and find the uke is held securely and my hands are free.. She asked them to make one for the ukulele but they said they had one for it. It is too big for soprano.

So, now I have to decide between the uke leash (ukelease.com) or the mobius strap (mobiusstrap.com). Any suggestions?

After her e-mail, I decided to ask which of her books I should start on as a beginner and got her response to that, so that is good! Thanks for suggesting I e-mail her, Booli!:)

And because someone might ask which books she suggested:
Probably the best book to start with is Carulli. I’ve just done a Carulli Volume 2 but I’d say go for the 1st one. It has right hand fingering maps which are good to practise if you are a beginner finger picker. Don’t get too strung up (pun!) on the rights and wrongs of right hand fingerings. It should be instinctive but takes some detailed practise before you get to this level. The Right Hand Technique book and fingering maps are suggestions - there is no absolutes because everyone is slightly different. The exercises are just that - exercises.

Sor is also good. All of the books have a variety of standards.

...for the soprano and I stopped using it as it kept falling off....

I'd think that unless the uke has a super glossy finish, anything with suctions cups is not likely to stick at all (to a matte or satin finish)

So, now I have to decide between the uke leash (ukelease.com) or the mobius strap (mobiusstrap.com). Any suggestions?

If you are averse to drilling a 3mm hole to install a strap button in the tail end of your uke (and tying the other end of the strap around the headstock), which is what I've done on all my ukes...I am not sure there are other good choices besides those two.

I've seen other straps that wrap around the body in some way, but they all look ugly to me and seem like a major kludge, but that's just IMHO...

...Thanks for suggesting I e-mail her, Booli!:)

No worries! Glad she got back to you so quickly. She seems like she has lots of compassion for other players in the few posts of hers I've seen here on UU. I love her videos too.

And because someone might ask which books she suggested...

I am going to look at those books, since as you know from brimmer's Campanella thread, I am starting to dig in and study more now too...

Thanks for sharing all of your info here. :)

You're welcome! I am a second grade school teacher and so I am off for a few weeks and hopefully can get a good start on this during the next few weeks . . .

If you look carefully at the John King video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oUvrUB1Aw&feature=youtu.be you may notice a strange-looking "shadow" behind the ukulele ... it a sheet/mat of mesh material, presumably rubbery, to cause the instrument to "stick" to his torso with very little pressure from his right arm.

In one of his other videos, which I can't find at the moment, you can see him placing and adjusting the mat before he positions his ukulele. Not something for anyone trying to look "cool", admittedly, but when you can play that well, who cares about appearances!

:music:

I use a Flanger FA80 guitar holder. It is smaller than .the guitar holder in the video.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=flanger%20fa80&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
If you buy from China it is less

It works well - use it with the suction cup toward the uke in the "waist". I actually don't use the suction cup, although I could as I use it with my Outdoor Ukulele tenor. Instead I use a small strip of the rubbery shelf mat/rug underlay stuff mentioned above.

Some uke shapes work better when it is turned around the other way and the suction cup faces out.

Sometimes, I use a belt and suspender approach and use the flanger with a Mobius strap.

If you look carefully at the John King video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oUvrUB1Aw&feature=youtu.be you may notice a strange-looking "shadow" behind the ukulele ... it a sheet/mat of mesh material, presumably rubbery, to cause the instrument to "stick" to his torso with very little pressure from his right arm.

In one of his other videos, which I can't find at the moment, you can see him placing and adjusting the mat before he positions his ukulele. Not something for anyone trying to look "cool", admittedly, but when you can play that well, who cares about appearances!

:music:

I saw that! In one video I watched, it looked like he had that rubbery shelf liner stuff on his chest! I might give that a try!

I use a Flanger FA80 guitar holder. It is smaller than .the guitar holder in the video.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=flanger%20fa80&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
If you buy from China it is less

It works well - use it with the suction cup toward the uke in the "waist". I actually don't use the suction cup, although I could as I use it with my Outdoor Ukulele tenor. Instead I use a small strip of the rubbery shelf mat/rug underlay stuff mentioned above.

Some uke shapes work better when it is turned around the other way and the suction cup faces out.

Sometimes, I use a belt and suspender approach and use the flanger with a Mobius strap.

I saw some of those in that link from above and wondered if it would work. When I went to the site, they had different heights so that you could position your uke at a certain height. I have no idea which height I would need.

That Mobius strap isn't pretty as someone mentioned, but I am not looking for pretty. I am looking for effective. Maybe the time would come when I didn't need to use it.

Oh lordy! I just had an idea to make a mobius strap. Hm . . .

...Oh lordy! I just had an idea to make a mobius strap. Hm . . .

HINT: a bootlace (or length of ribbon,etc), tied in a loop thru/under the strings and around the back, with a slipknot

A pair of bootlaces are $2 at the local grocery store here in NJ :)

I saw some of those in that link from above and wondered if it would work. When I went to the site, they had different heights so that you could position your uke at a certain height. I have no idea which height I would need.

That Mobius strap isn't pretty as someone mentioned, but I am not looking for pretty. I am looking for effective. Maybe the time would come when I didn't need to use it.

Oh lordy! I just had an idea to make a mobius strap. Hm . . .

I had no idea there were more than one size Flanger. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as you can position them toward the top or sides of your leg, and they are not expensive. I keep one with the Outdoor Uke, and borrow it when I play my vintage ukes that I am afraid to install strap buttons on.

The Mobius is nice if you are standing to play. I normally sit, but when we did our first ukulele choir performance we had to stand and the Mobius strap was perfect. Since I like my neck more at the 11 o'clock position, the rubbery material wrapped around the Mobius strap did well to keep the neck a little higher without it slipping off the waist.

HINT: a bootlace (or length of ribbon,etc), tied in a loop thru/under the strings and around the back, with a slipknot

A pair of bootlaces are $2 at the local grocery store here in NJ :)

I'll bet I have some ribbon around here.

I had no idea there were more than one size Flanger. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as you can position them toward the top or sides of your leg, and they are not expensive. I keep one with the Outdoor Uke, and borrow it when I play my vintage ukes that I am afraid to install strap buttons on.

The Mobius is nice if you are standing to play. I normally sit, but when we did our first ukulele choir performance we had to stand and the Mobius strap was perfect. Since I like my neck more at the 11 o'clock position, the rubbery material wrapped around the Mobius strap did well to keep the neck a little higher without it slipping off the waist.

Thanks! That is helpful!

So, now I have to decide between the uke leash (ukelease.com) or the mobius strap (mobiusstrap.com). Any suggestions?[/I]

I played with Lori Apthorp who created and sells the Uke Leash, and if you're against adding strap buttons, go for hers, but after going through the various no button straps, I realized the best for me is two traditional strap buttons like on a guitar (which I played for almost 50 years). I install them myself and have a separate strap for each of my 7 ukes that stays on the uke permanently.

...... maybe ask Samantha Muir directly .........

She is also a member of UU too, so maybe a PM if not email?

I'd be interested to read her past posts and comments - bound to be something worthwhile there - but haven't managed to find her on the members list. Does anyone know what name she uses here?

I thought it exceedingly good of Samantha to reply to the email that Chopped Liver sent to her, she likely gets swamped with correspondence at times. Some members have the PM facility disabled, I assume that that is so they can control the flow of mail to them.

I used to use a home made leash - cost effective and same day delivery - on all my Ukes but have now fitted a strap and button to my cheapest one. If you can live with vandalising a Uke by fitting a strap button then IMHO a strap is better than a leash. I tried the huck in sound hole support but it seemed to interfere with strumming, risked damage to the Uke soundboard and wasn't that secure a support ..... YMMV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom