Alternatives to a strap

A strap button DRILLED into my beautiful mango Pono?!?!?!?

:thud:

:p

OK, I'm hearing that a real strap is probably the way to go.

There is a music store near by that sells guitars and I'm sure they could do it, but I don't like the vibes I get in there. They seem kind of shoddy. I don't think I would trust them.

I watched "got a uke" and saw it done. I have a drill. I think I have a tiny drill bit, too. If not, I can get one. I can find strap buttons. I can even practice on my Lanikai concert.

Heck! I FINALLY got over my fear and put new strings on it. This will be a breeze, right?

:p

I'll keep you posted!

Please do not let my comments be the ones that encourage you to work on your Pono. The Uke I fitted a button to would cost me about £75 to replace ($100?) and despite making a 'spot on' job of it I'm reluctant to do my more expensive Ukes (the dearest of which cost a mere £150) for fear of messing the job up or otherwise devaluing them. That reluctance might not be sensible - Ukes are meant to be played and enjoyed rather than continually kept safe in a display cabinet or case - and I really should just get on with it and carefully do the work.

I'm reasonably skilled with hand tools but if I weren't then I'd take my Uke to someone who I both trusted and was widely known to be capable, and doubly so if I had a Pono! If the local music store and tradesmen aren't giving you confidence then please do wait and look for the right person to do the work for you ...... and select something really tasteful to match your beautiful Pono.

Last edited:
try this ....

Many thanks, I'll do just that. It's nice to have stars amongst us, and I hope that members, etc., respect that privilege. Unfortunately her old posts don't seem to be listed, pity but that's how it goes.

Last edited:
A strap button DRILLED into my beautiful mango Pono?!?!?!?

If power tools make you uncomfortable, there is always a hand drill, aka a 'pin vise' that may be easier to control, they are not really expensive, and most times come with smaller diameter drill bits, which may be of the correct size for the screw used in a strap button. See below on Amazon for examples:

71wCw4zc2FL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Manual-Rotary-Craft-Drill/dp/B000ON00IA

81JsloRVREL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-85116984J-Hand-Drill-85116984/dp/B00004T80S

When I've installed a strap button on my own ukes, I use a dremel tool with a thin drill bit, and place the uke upside down (headstock to the floor), and hold it between my knees, and then try to keep the drill perpendicular to the flat butt-end of the uke while also straight up-and-down. It may not be absolutely perfectly the same every time, but I've never had a problem.

Prior to drilling, I put a strip of painters tape over the area, and then measure excatly 50% of the depth and make a pencil mark, and then also try to 'eyeball' the center (left-to-right), and make another mark.

Usually if larger than a soprano the sides of the uke are 2 different pieces of wood, and you can see the seam, which is the 'center' as per it's construction (unless it was poorly made).

However, if all the above is too intimidating, as Graham has said, finding a trustworthy and experienced person to do it is likely going to be less stressful for you.

An experienced shop should not charge more than $15-20 for both the strap button itself AND the labor to install it. If they wanted $50 for the job, I'd tell them to kiss the sky.

But 'nobody' will tell you there is a law for having, or not having a strap - it is what makes your own life easier that is most important. :)

Many thanks, I'll do just that. It's nice to have stars amongst us, and I hope that members, etc., respect that privilege. Unfortunately her old posts don't seem to be listed, pity but that's how it goes.

If you click the link to her profile (above) you will only see maybe the past 90 days of posts on her profile page, HOWEVER, in the left column of ANY UU profile, you can click the link 'FIND LATEST POSTS' and that will show their entire history in reverse-chronological order (in a very differently formatted display on the screen), the most recent of which for Samantha was in May 2016...

BTW - this works for all UU members. :)

Please do not let my comments be the ones that encourage you to work on your Pono. The Uke I fitted a button to would cost me about £75 to replace ($100?) and despite making a 'spot on' job of it I'm reluctant to do my more expensive Ukes (the dearest of which cost a mere £150) for fear of messing the job up or otherwise devaluing them. That reluctance might not be sensible - Ukes are meant to be played and enjoyed rather than continually kept safe in a display cabinet or case - and I really should just get on with it and carefully do the work.

I'm reasonably skilled with hand tools but if I weren't then I'd take my Uke to someone who I both trusted and was widely known to be capable, and doubly so if I had a Pono! If the local music store and tradesmen aren't giving you confidence then please do wait and look for the right person to do the work for you ...... and select something really tasteful to match your beautiful Pono.

I hear you! And yet, as you say, they are meant to be played. No point in having the pono if I can't play it.

Don't worry! If I do it, I will not hold you responsible! :)

If power tools make you uncomfortable, there is always a hand drill, aka a 'pin vise' that may be easier to control, they are not really expensive, and most times come with smaller diameter drill bits, which may be of the correct size for the screw used in a strap button. See below on Amazon for examples:

71wCw4zc2FL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Manual-Rotary-Craft-Drill/dp/B000ON00IA

81JsloRVREL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-85116984J-Hand-Drill-85116984/dp/B00004T80S

When I've installed a strap button on my own ukes, I use a dremel tool with a thin drill bit, and place the uke upside down (headstock to the floor), and hold it between my knees, and then try to keep the drill perpendicular to the flat butt-end of the uke while also straight up-and-down. It may not be absolutely perfectly the same every time, but I've never had a problem.

Prior to drilling, I put a strip of painters tape over the area, and then measure excatly 50% of the depth and make a pencil mark, and then also try to 'eyeball' the center (left-to-right), and make another mark.

Usually if larger than a soprano the sides of the uke are 2 different pieces of wood, and you can see the seam, which is the 'center' as per it's construction (unless it was poorly made).

However, if all the above is too intimidating, as Graham has said, finding a trustworthy and experienced person to do it is likely going to be less stressful for you.

An experienced shop should not charge more than $15-20 for both the strap button itself AND the labor to install it. If they wanted $50 for the job, I'd tell them to kiss the sky.

But 'nobody' will tell you there is a law for having, or not having a strap - it is what makes your own life easier that is most important. :)

Thanks for the details!

When I'm not using a standard strap, I still use a uke thong, though you wear it around the neck, which you said you don't like. I haven't tried a uke leash, because I mainly want support for the body, but I know a lot of folks like them, and Lori's system is somewhat adaptable. I tried the Mobius strap, and it's a great option for standing, but I found that when I sat (as I mostly do), there wouldn't be enough weight on the strap at all times, to keep it taut, so it would rise up where it passes under the strings and make contact with them. If you position the uke higher than I usually do, you might not have this problem, and of course, I don't have shapely breasts, so I have no idea how that effects the equation.

The other thing about the Mobius strap is that you can't quickly change ukes—with a thong, it's the work of seconds; I don't know what's involved with a leash, but if I recall it's just a matter of unsnapping from one headstock adapter onto another. (That's another downside to the leash: you'd want an adapter for every uke you play regularly, and an extra for occasional use with other ukes. Can get spendy—a reason I just decided to get dedicated straps, with more stability still.)

I mostly play sitting. Good points! Thank you!

I just heard back from her. So, this is what she said:

I tried using a guitar style Ergoplay Tappert rest. It is too big, however, for the soprano and I stopped using it as it kept falling off. Now I use a strap and find the uke is held securely and my hands are free.. She asked them to make one for the ukulele but they said they had one for it. It is too big for soprano.

So, now I have to decide between the uke leash (ukelease.com) or the mobius strap (mobiusstrap.com). Any suggestions?

After her e-mail, I decided to ask which of her books I should start on as a beginner and got her response to that, so that is good! Thanks for suggesting I e-mail her, Booli!:)

And because someone might ask which books she suggested:
Probably the best book to start with is Carulli. I’ve just done a Carulli Volume 2 but I’d say go for the 1st one. It has right hand fingering maps which are good to practise if you are a beginner finger picker. Don’t get too strung up (pun!) on the rights and wrongs of right hand fingerings. It should be instinctive but takes some detailed practise before you get to this level. The Right Hand Technique book and fingering maps are suggestions - there is no absolutes because everyone is slightly different. The exercises are just that - exercises.

Sor is also good. All of the books have a variety of standards.

My vote is for the Uke Leash ukeleash.com, and if you don't like it you can return it.:D I am a bit biased, but I can guarantee good customer service.

Are you in the USA? International shipping can get expensive.
–Lori

Thanks, Lori! I think I need something that supports both ends - at least to start with. I will keep your ukelease in mind, though. I like that they can be worn in so many different ways.

A bit expensive just to use a strap, so I am not recommending it, but I put a pickup in my ukuleles and that has a strap button as an integral part of it. I don't always use a strap, but sometimes I do.

It's a bit late in the day now, you might already have made your purchases, but I came across this (the hug strap) and wondered whether it might suit your needs http://thehugstrap.com .

Hi Graham,

It is not too late. I had seen that one originally but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I just don't think I can drill into my Pono. :eek: I go back and forth, but I think I will try the hug strap (or try to make one on my own) before I make any drastic moves!

Loop around the body tightened, over shoulder, & tie to headstock. :)

Loop around the body & over your head, is another way. ;)

Ukeleash, is yet another way.

(You don't have to drill holes for buttons.)

Soooo . . . as I was thinking about the supplies I needed to buy for my uke strap, I remembered that I have a strap on my Eleuke. So, all I really need is some wide ribbon to wrap around the body and tie to the strap button hole on that strap! :cool:

You know, that ukeleash looks pretty trick to me. It makes sense. It's light and simple. Does not require modifying your instrument. It's inexpensive. AND you'll be supporting another member of the forum! I think I'll get one.

Yes, it might be an option. But for me, I need both ends supported.

I think I may have solved my problem with something I bought today. I will report back when I have fixed it.

Search Ukulele strap on Etsy. There are a lot of custom solutions there, including many variations on the 'hugstrap' above.

I've seen classical guitar/folk guitar sound-hole straps used by Willie Nelson and Jake that have nice clips. Unfortunately, I can't find those kinds, all the ones I've found have those cheap plastic clips which I can't stand the idea of clipping to my good ukuleles.

I have a Hugstrap in the mail. Should arrive Tuesday. Will report back . . .

Top Bottom