Alternatives to a strap

I thought I would chime in here...I eventually gave in and put strap buttons on all of my ukuleles (only my Bonanza came with them installed, but I have a very inexpensive Enya arriving tomorrow [$30] that has them, too (Radius fretboard and truss rod, too). I use a normal button on the bottom of my ukuleles, and a second button on the "heel" of the ukulele, on the side away from me. The only exception is my Outdoor that has it on the upper shoulder of the upper bout...and I just deal with it that way. Strap buttons are pretty easy to install...tape, smaller hole than needed, care while installing. Installing a button may impact resale on a collector's ukulele-so only install a button on something that you want to play and are not planning on using as an investment.

Originally I didn't want to drill into my ukuleles. I bought straps from Lori (Uke Leash) and Hug Strap, and liked them both. Customer service from both companies was outstanding. The HUG Strap is thicker (which I like)...the Uke Leash has more accessories, and I am still using a Uke Leash on both banjoleles that I own.

I did not try the Möbius (currently there is another thread about that item which I have not used, but would also recommend examination of that product.

My ukulele straps that I am using come from two sources: http://strapsforchords.webs.com, and also straps by Ms. Mai at Bonanza Ukulele. I know that Sarah Maisel also makes straps, and I am also watching the straight forward 1" straps by Levy's on Amazon.

Thanks for the info. I may eventually end up that way, too. We shall see!

I have added these beautiful buttons on several of my nice ukes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KQ4PBA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I wouldn't use anything else. These are so nice looking and small that they are perfect for the uke and blend right in. If your worried about doing it yourself you can take it to a local music store and take those buttons with you to have them install them for you. That being said it is very easy to do it yourself!

I also purchase this leather that I love for a strap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043FFEQI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a hole punch on one end and the use scissors or razor knife to extend the hole with a line cut. Then measure it to my size and add another hole. This strap is thin, light and super comfortable. Ive tried mandolin straps and they don't come close to the comfort of this homemade idea for the uke. You hardly know its there.

Last edited:
Thanks! Those are nice looking buttons! I may go that route.

Well, the HugStrap came and is going back. It is a very nice strap. It just doesn't work for me. Because of the part around the middle of the body instead of at the end, the ukulele seems to end up too far off center for me.

Don't think I'll be doing strap buttons, either. I didn't like the feeling of being tethered to the uke!

Next step is to try a pillow of some kind on my leg to rest the uke on (like those pillow thingies you can buy for guitars). Or a piece of rubbery shelf liner like John King used . . .

Well, the HugStrap came and is going back. It is a very nice strap. It just doesn't work for me. Because of the part around the middle of the body instead of at the end, the ukulele seems to end up too far off center for me.

Don't think I'll be doing strap buttons, either. I didn't like the feeling of being tethered to the uke!

Next step is to try a pillow of some kind on my leg to rest the uke on (like those pillow thingies you can buy for guitars). Or a piece of rubbery shelf liner like John King used . . .

I've been following the thread with interest 'cause, in a way, it's a problem in common though I gave in and fitted strap pins (lower bout only) to my relatively cheap Ukes.

As a beginner I found my Soprano too small to support properly and ended up buying a Concert which I thought would be easier. Within hours of ordering the Concert I'd put a rolled up towel between the Soprano's end and my upper arm, the arrangement worked whilst I found my way forward and I can mentally picture a cushion being helpful too - perhaps a bit bulky for (taking to) playing away from home and unfortunately it doesn't work standing ..... I don't think that there is such a thing as a playing stand for a Uke.

It might look a bit 'different' but I wonder if some kind of cloth cradle or sling (sort of a shallow open bag with a strap over one shoulder) or a more sold shelf type support (both under the lower bout) might be worth experimenting with. Many years back ice cream used to be sold in the interval at the front of Theatres and Cinemas. A lady would stand near the stage with a box (effectively a shelf with shallow sides) open in front of her; the box was held up by a strap running from one outside corner, around the back of the lady's neck and then on to the other outside corner.

I hope that there wasn't an issue returning the HugStrap and that you find your solution (and then share it please).

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Nope, no issue at all in returning the strap. Melissa was very good to work with. I'll keep you posted if I come up with a solution.

This idea may be odd to some but it works for me. As a long time guitar player I am used to the feel of those straps so I did the following.

I had some stick on velcro so I cut a couple pieces of the loop side about 2" long and stuck them on the uke, one under the neck on the side of the body and the other at the end of the body just above the centerline. Then I stopped by a Goodwill store and got a cheap cloth belt longer than what I needed. Then I cut the belt to size but longer than I need and sealed up any seals with glue and staples.

Then I cut some pieces of the hook side of the velcro and stuck these on the ends of the old belt/now strap. The part attaching under the neck only was 2" but on the other end I made the velcro about 6" long. That way there is a way to adjust the strap for other players.

My ukes are all under $100 but I did sell one and the velcro peeled off without leaving a trace. Also, I only own a soprano and a concert so a larger uke might be too heavy for this method.

Oh, I should note that I did angle the velcro on the uke so the pull was lengthwise to the strap when it is on.

This might be a bit "ghetto" but I am really happy with it. Command mini hooks by 3M (with the easy to remove pull off stretchy backing thingy) and a dog leash (sorry Haley. stole my dog's leash) where I sewed a button hole at the cut end. I did not want to attached a permanent button to the ukulele. I also like the fact that I can easily adjust the position of the mini hook if I change my playing style later on.

20170803_114546.jpg20170803_114447.jpg20170803_114357.jpg

My goodness, we have some creative people here! Necessity really is the mother of invention! :)

My goodness, we have some creative people here! Necessity really is the mother of invention! :)

Hi Jan,

I looked at all the various methods to try to solve the no-drill support quandary and finally had to invent and patent my own solution. The Mobius Strap gives completely hands-free support and solves the "neck drop" problem as well. They come with a money-back guarantee of complete satisfaction. You, or others browsing this thread may want to give one a try!

IIRC the Mobius Strap was discussed early on in the thread (around #8-18).

Last edited:
Anyway, I viewed Graham's comment as a callback to additional information ...

That was exactly what was intended and nothing more than that. Mine was a very brief comment and I'm sorry if the content came across in any other way. At some point I'm hoping to hear details of the solution that the OP eventually settled on but otherwise I too believe that the thread has run its course.

I'm sorry. I thought I had updated.

I decided that the HugStrap wouldn't work for me because it made the uke hang off center for me. I believe the Mobius strap would do the same thing. I still have no solution for my Pono.

However, I did get an inexpensive, but nice, tenor uke that has strap buttons on it, so that will be my solution for now. I don't like the strap button on the heel of the uke because the uke tips. I just use the end strap button and then tie the other end at the headstock.

I'm sorry. I thought I had updated.

I decided that the HugStrap wouldn't work for me because it made the uke hang off center for me. I believe the Mobius strap would do the same thing. I still have no solution for my Pono.

However, I did get an inexpensive, but nice, tenor uke that has strap buttons on it, so that will be my solution for now. I don't like the strap button on the heel of the uke because the uke tips. I just use the end strap button and then tie the other end at the headstock.

Thanks for the update and clarification which I appreciate. Your search has been a help to me, and I anticipate others too. Your end result is the same as mine and to an extent validates my own conclusions, thank you. A strap suits me best and I don't use a pin on the neck; I can't bring myself to modify my more expensive Ukes but am happy to have end pins on the cheaper ones - I play them most too and enjoy their utility and lack of need for special care. If it's a help to you to know then I use a leash on the dearer ones, I definitely find it useful but a strap would be maybe doubly so.

Thanks again for sharing your journey and conclusions, and as ever the mileage of others may vary.

I note that a couple of recent posts have been deleted, there's logic in that but IIRC Ubule's comments were rather helpful, maybe the other poster just had an 'off day' - we all do from time to time.

Last edited:

Actually, the Mobius Strap hangs in normal playing position, see the photo in my signature below. And, it ends the neck drop problem as well!

Top Bottom