Uke action

beebssverige

Reaction score
Such a newbie here. I just bought a used Greg Bennett concert and the 2,3 and 4 string action seems great but the 1 string buzzes and it may be that the action is too low. Is it possible to have only 1 string too low and how would I fix that? Thanks so much.

You might be able to fix it up with a thin sliver under the string at the nut, worth trying. :)

Edit: You can also buy new nuts if the slots are too deep.

Does it only buzz on an open (unfretted) string? If so it's probably the slot in the nut needs a little shimming ... I use slivers of plastic food carton, yoghurt pot etc.

If it buzzes when the string is fretted, it may be that the saddle has been sanded a little too enthusiastically (and maybe asymmetricaly), again, a strip of plastic under the saddle may cure the problem, but this symptom could also be because of a high fret.

YMMV - good luck :)

It would be a good move to show your uke to an experienced player and ask their opinion. If there is a uke group/society/gathering that you can get to, you will find it an invaluable source of advice, help and encouragement.

The 1 string? Is that the G string or the A string? If it's the G, is it a low G? Low G strings tend to buzz a bit. You could try changing to a different brand of strings to see if it helps.

A quick check, a scrap of paper folded and placed under the string at the nut will raise the string. If it is a height problem, a drop of superglue mixed with baking powder in the slot will harden in minutes and can then be filed down to correct height.

This could be a long shot, but it doesn't cost any money and take very much time, just sight down the neck and make sure that it looks straight and there is no twist before you start messing with it.

Where is it buzzing? Only the first few frets? Only as you get further up the neck? Throughout the whole length of the neck?

No replies from the OP in 11 days, and this being their first ever post to the forum, I am not hopeful that this situation will be resolved, or if it is, we may not ever learn about it.

Maybe if the OP is reading this again, he/she can log in to the forum and offer an update? Thanks :)

I thought I would post in this thread rather than start another similar thread. I have a uke which has a lower action than I would like. This one is 2mm, (measured with a good string action ruler) but interestingly, the action is lower than that on the a string?? Is it usual for the a string to be lower? Intonation is good at the nut end, but slightly flat after the 8th fret on the a string, not by much. The saddle is compensated.

Last edited:
Just had another closer look and the a string slot at the nut looks lower than the others??

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom