1960s Harmony Baritone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickie

Reaction score
The baritone is "in" nowadays! But, we don't have time to play this one, there are too many instruments here, so we have to pare down. This one was a gift to me from a friend of a hospice family (I don't know which one).
It has recently been restrung, Di'Addarios I think, and has brand new original style friction tuning pegs, luthier installed.
It comes with a pretty case, shown here. It has the normal amount of little nicks and scratches that a uke this age would have. (It came to me without a gig bag or anything covering it.)
There are no sharp fret ends, no cracks, and the intonation is very close, almost right on.
We're asking $200 for it, plus freight, anywhere CONUS only please. Since we have only case, strings, strap posts, and pegs invested, we're negotiable.
It needs a new home where it will be played!
ukuleleunderground.jpg1960 harmony in case.jpgback of bari.jpgBari headstock.jpg

What a beautiful uke! Looks like a bargain, such great condition.

Good luck with the sale.

Seems like a great price especially with the case included. What's the scale length and action height?

Seems like a great price especially with the case included. What's the scale length and action height?

Jim, I hope I know what you meant, the overall length is 30". From fret #18 to the nut is 12.5". Height at 1st fret is 3.5mm. At fret #10 it is 10mm. According to my luthier, the neck is straight.

Scale length is measured from the nut to the saddle, typically 19" on a baritone...that action seems really high?

Scale length is measured from the nut to the saddle, typically 19" on a baritone...that action seems really high?
Right, I was asking if it was 19" vs 20" - vintage is usually 19".

That action can't be right. 3.5mm would be really high if it were the 12th fret (my preference is closer to 2.5mm). At the first, it would be unplayable I think, and definitely not consistent with "almost right on intonation". By way of comparison, you have a Cocobolo, yes? Their default is 2.5mm at the twelfth fret. The harmony can't be four times as high off the fretboard, can it?

Jim, IDK. I've never tried to measure a uke before, so I probably have no idea what I'm doing. Yes, I have a Cocobolo too. I don't know what default means, in this application. All I know is the we had the bari out last eve, and the action was comfortable for both of us. IDK how to measure, but I'm picky about action.
I won't see my luthier till Thursday of NEXT week, but if I still have it, I'll take it with and ask him to measure it.
Maybe I'll learn something!

Oh Nickie!

Please let me help - Scale length is from the NUT to the SADDLE. The white strip under the strings at the headstock before the tuners and the white strip inside the bridge that the strings sit on before they are tied down.

All you need is a tape measure or yardstick, and line it up parallel to one of the strings, and with one end at either the nut or the saddle, and then take note of where the other white thingy crosses the numbers, and then you have the scale length...

like Jim said about 19" or 20" you should be somewhere in that range, and the length from the nut to the end of the fretboard or 18th fret is not a standard measure that's used, as some ukes dont even have 18 frets...

You do not need a luthier to determine scale length for you, you CAN do this, I believe in you. :)

From what I've read here on the forum, the scale length of older baritones were 19" to 19.5", with modern ones being around 20", (it doesn't sound like much, but it really does make a difference to comfort.)

String height is usually measured at the 12th fret, from the fret top to the string, & is likely to be about 3mm.

(Hope that helps/gives you an idea of what they will be.)

I am so tempted, Nickie. I'm on the verge of re-buying an Ohana BK-20 (solid top baritone) that I sold to a friend for $100 with case, etc. Now I don't know what to do. This is solid mahogany, but twice the price. And I have a set of pegheds in a drawer, just waiting for the right ukulele. ����

Thanks for all the suggestions!
And sorry for all the confusion. Doh!
The scale length is 19.5".
The action height is between 3 and 4 mm at the 12th fret, depending on which string.
Ziret, you won't need the friction tuners, these are new. They seem to hold very well, it was in the case for over 6 months and only one string needed tuning.
I learn so much here! Even a numbskull like me can learn from such kind, knowledgeable folks!

Last edited:
Ziret, you should get the Harmony - so I don't have to. :cheers:
Seriously, I don't need it. I have a very nice baritone that isn't getting enough playing time already, and I'm not a great fan of friction tuners even though these sound like really good ones. Weird how stuff catches your eye when you're not even looking for it, huh?

I am so tempted, Nickie. I'm on the verge of re-buying an Ohana BK-20 (solid top baritone) that I sold to a friend for $100 with case, etc. Now I don't know what to do. This is solid mahogany, but twice the price. And I have a set of pegheds in a drawer, just waiting for the right ukulele. ����

Ziret: I have owned a BK20 and played a few Harmonys. IMHO, the harmony is much better. The feel. The sound. The vibe. There is nothing like vintage mahogany! It's not the right time for me (just bought 2 ukes...) or I would be seriously looking at this!

Good luck with the sale Nickie!

Ziret: I have owned a BK20 and played a few Harmonys. IMHO, the harmony is much better. The feel. The sound. The vibe. There is nothing like vintage mahogany! It's not the right time for me (just bought 2 ukes...) or I would be seriously looking at this!

Good luck with the sale Nickie!
I would if the $100 weren't already stretching the budget. After a big big stretch last month. Of course we all know how much that means. Still thinking.

Nickie, what's the width of the nut? I know, more measuring. And how would you describe the neck? I like that the Ohana neck is fairly thin.

Ziret, the nut measures 1.25". The neck is fairly thin, I'm a thin neck lover, and this one fits my hand just about right. Kinda strange for a bari.....although if I was gonna play it, I'd sand off the finish, I like bare unfinished necks.
I went over budget this month by a helluva lot more than $100. But now I'm outta debt. (Except for this house) Yay!
Anyway, y'all think about it and let me know!

If I did not already have a vintage Harmony baritone (my first uke, given to me by my departed grandfather), I would have sent the PayPal to Nicke already.

This uke wont be here much longer and they are selling for even more money (WITHOUT the nice hard case and WITH add'l shipping costs) on the used sections of Guitar Center, Elderly and on eBay.

IMHO, a deal like this is not one to 'watch-and-wait'. YMMV. :)

If it wasn't for it being on the wrong continent.........I would likely have had my UAS started again! :cool:

(These baritones have always had good reports on here, I'd suggest you get it while you can.)

I want this and I don't even want a baritone! I suddenly feel baritone deprived and if I could afford it I'd buy it for justice! And it really does seem to have a great vintage vibe and great reviews.

I believe I once read that if the headstock label doesn't have a patent number it can be dated to an earlier period then one with a patent number. A specific year in which it changed was mentioned. Looked for a patent number and there isn't one.

Somewhat of a plus if I am right. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom