Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Yeti USB Mic on Prime Days

Great explanation, as always, Booli. It's not exactly a Kremona, from the looks of it - it goes in front of the bridge under the strings.

Like I said, it sounded good at the Swap Meet - have not tested it at home yet. I'll let you know when I do - the LdfM that I got a month ago does not have a pickup, so I thought this might be a patchwork solution. And a high pass filter might be just the trick for my Collings <g>.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie44 View Post
    Great explanation, as always, Booli. It's not exactly a Kremona, from the looks of it - it goes in front of the bridge under the strings.

Like I said, it sounded good at the Swap Meet - have not tested it at home yet. I'll let you know when I do - the LdfM that I got a month ago does not have a pickup, so I thought this might be a patchwork solution. And a high pass filter might be just the trick for my Collings <g>.
    Thanks for the reply Rick.

Is it possible you could share the name and model of this pickup and also share a photo? I am intrigued.

The Kremona I am speaking of looks like this:

(NOTE: photos used without permission from http://gotaukulele.com, and BazMaz has a great review of the Kremona pickup here)

There's nothing wrong with using an external pickup, some folks like to use them.

I know you were joking with the <g>, but does the Collings uke have a boomy bass response?

one bad enough that you have to eq the mid-bass and bass to zero?

Because that is what happens due to the impedance mismatch.

A high-pass filter, passes ONLY the higher frequencies and nothing at all below the cutoff point, and a low-pass filter is the opposite, passing ONLY the lower frequencies and nothing above the cutoff point.

Also just for FYI - a BANDPASS filter is like a combo of both high-pass and low-pass in that it blocks on both sides and only passes the frequencies IN BETWEEN the cutoff points, sort of like a mid-pass filter but nobody calls it that, at least that I've seen.

I'll post a picture next week when I get some time. There is no brand name on the unit - the guy at the Market claimed he had them named himself.

And my bad - I was confusing hi-pass and low-pass. My Collings is quite trebley, which is nice for some songs and with re-entrant tuning, and it does play like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie44 View Post
    I'll post a picture next week when I get some time. There is no brand name on the unit - the guy at the Market claimed he had them named himself.

And my bad - I was confusing hi-pass and low-pass. My Collings is quite trebley, which is nice for some songs and with re-entrant tuning, and it does play like a dream.
    No worries. It will be cool to see what else is out there vs. the more common types of pickups in the mainstream.

BTW- Years ago I used to love going to flea markets, as there were always interesting things to find that often you would not see for sale anywhere else, but I've just not had the time or the money these days. Mostly Craigslist and eBay have filled that curiosity for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Also to note the ZOOM recorders are STEREO mics, while the Apogee MiC, the Blue Yeti and the iRig Acoustic stage are ALL mono capture and mono output.

Both Garageband and Audacity have great effects that are called 'Spatializer' found in the IMAGING section that do a great job with both mono and stereo recordings to simulate an ambient acoustic space, so having a stereo recording, or a stereo mic setup is not always necessary.
    It was my impression that the Blue Yeti was one of the very few USB mikes actually capable of stereo recording?
    I might get it wrong.
    I remember being very close to getting one last year, but the fact that it was the size of a forearm put me off. Ended up getting a Shure MV5 mic, which is probably inferior, but takes up less space on the desk.

I also remember trying to record with my wife's old H2 recorder. Apparently connecting them with a USB cable is not all that plug and play. There was no sound coming through, don't know if the drivers for that edition just hadn't been updated. That might be a catch to H2s, driver problems.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information