Kala vs. Córdoba ($200 price range)

Christianjw

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to get either a concert or tenor ukulele, specifically with at least a solid wood top for a first ukulele. The main brands I've been looking at has been Kala and córdoba, so what would you guys say about the two brands? Also, how come the price difference for Kala solid spruce top to solid cedar and acacia are so large while the córdoba 22 23 24 etc which have different solid wood tops are all around the same price? Does this mean that the quality of the wood in the córdoba ukes are worse?

I have the Kala cedar/acacia tenor and also a couple of Córdoba mini-guitars (the tenor-sized Guilele CE and the bari-sized Mini R) with solid spruce tops, which as far as I can tell are similar in build quality to the 22T, apart from its gloss finish. For the price, the Córdobas are quite good value, but you really are talking about a step up in quality to the Kala. Most obviously, it has several features that are more expensive to make: slotted headstock with layered headplate, inlaid wood logo and better tuners. On none of these models is the type of spruce or cedar specified—it is unlikely to be Sitka or Englemann spruce or Port Orford cedar. Although the tone of the Córdobas is surprisingly good, the tone of the Kala is handily better, and could be due partly to higher quality woods—I notice, for instance that the cedar that Córdoba is using doesn't appear as finely grained as on the Kala; also, the acacia on the Kala is dead gorgeous—the spalted maple on the 24T is handsome, but seems a less harmonious match to the cedar top and, particularly to the copycat red padauk binding. I admire Kala's aesthetic sense in general, and think they hit it out of the park with their cedar/acacia line.
That's good to know, thanks. I had a feeling that the quality of wood on the Kalas would be better based on their higher price tag. I'm thinking anywhere from 200 to maybe 300, so that solid cedar and acacia Kala fits my budget. I've also looked a little bit at mainland, but I don't know anything about how it compares with Kala and córdoba at the same price.

Mainlands are also a very good choice (and have lots of fans!). The major difference is that they are solid wood (including back and sides) vs the Kala and Cordoba being solid tops and laminate back & sides. All three brands will give you a good uke in your price range. I recently traded a Kala cedar/acacia baritone for a Cordoba 24B cedar/spalted maple baritone. I feel I definitely got the better end of the deal (the other person feels they did too, lol). IMHO the Cordoba is lighter and more resonant. I liked the look of the Kala and the slotted headstock better, but I find myself playing the Cordoba more than I ever did the Kala. The neck of the Cordoba is also a lot more shallow/thinner and that makes it more comfortable for me to play.

You will find that opinions will differ on which is "best." Will you have a chance to play any of them? If not, I would recommend you get them from a reputable dealer who does set-ups and allows for returns. HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, and Elderly music are very popular on this forum for a reason.

I own and have owned several Kala ukuleles. I liked them all. Dollar for dollar, they deliver good value but you MUST either try the uke yourself or trust a site like HMS. Cordoba? Tried a few, never owned one. Just didn't "do it" for me. In your price range there are some totally viable options. As a first ukulele, I'm not so sure a solid top is essential, albeit nice (I can hear the woodies howling already), But for $129.00 you can get a Kala KA-TG, and it'll sound, feel and play like it cost more than twice that much. They're a bargain! Gloss finish, Laminate body, good tuners, well-built, but AGAIN **Try it first** because factory ukes can have QC issues. I have a Kala Tri-back that is my favorite in my collection. It rivals my much higher priced ukes. If you feel you must have solid wood, I get that. Just play many, in multiple stores if you can, and keep an open mind. One of my best playing and sounding ukuleles cost $80.00! I paid $700.00 for one that I kept a week! And buy from a dealer that will set it up for you. Trust your feelings, Luke!

Yeah I know that since it's a first instrument I don't need something too nice, but personally I would prefer to get something with a solid wood top so that I don't feel the need to get one later. I did the same with buying guitars and saxophones and it turned out well. Also, im definitely going to buy from a reliable dealer which does a setup so I know that it will sound good right out of the box.

FWIW, I REALLY like my Cordoba 24b. I did put a set of living Water Strings on it to get rid of the wound strings and wanted to get strings that were a little less "floppy" than the Aquilas that came with it. Lovely to pick, though hard strumming while trying to be heard over a half dozen guitars doesn't work that well, since the tension is still pretty low.
A big part of the playing enjoyment is in the way it feels in the hand, no hard edges, soft satin finish, very warm tone from the solid cedar top.

I have a Pepe Romano tenor Cordoba. All solid wood. It's somewhat better than "so-so". I have 3 Kalas (concert, tenor, baritone). All 3 are waaay better than "so-so" -- but YMMV. Happy hunting to you!!!

I just bought a ~$320 Ohana TK-50G tenor from Mim a few months ago. Could not be happier with it, unless I suddenly learn to finger pick!
Beautiful and Solid Rosewood and Cedar topped. I've played a few Cordoba's at Guitar Center but found Ohana's and Kala's a slight improvement at most price points. Mim did a great setup when she shipped it.
Call her and ask what she recommends for you.

I just bought a ~$320 Ohana TK-50G tenor from Mim a few months ago. Could not be happier with it, unless I suddenly learn to finger pick!
Beautiful and Solid Rosewood and Cedar topped. I've played a few Cordoba's at Guitar Center but found Ohana's and Kala's a slight improvement at most price points. Mim did a great setup when she shipped it.
Call her and ask what she recommends for you.

What makes you say "unless I suddenly learn to finger pick"? I'm not sure if it would be the same for ukulele but when I play guitar I mainly fingerpick

Cordoba 20TM, with our without cutaway and pickup are regularly available for under $150. They sound a little brash with Aquila strings, but a decent set of fluorocarbons sound amazing, especially with low g. I gave mine to my granddaughter, but had intended to install bone nut and saddle and replace the functional geared tuners with something better. It had no setup issues and had a flawless finish which I polished up to a lovely low gloss. In all, a great solid topped tenor for the money.

Here's a few: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...70.l1313&_nkw=cordoba+20TM+ukulele&_sacat=619

Top Bottom