Tools you didn't know you wanted until you had them

that Z clamp thingy looks good.
I bolted my parrot vise to a piece of wood and I clamp that to my bench when i need it- i don't like having a permanent vise bolted to a nice corner of my bench.

I have borrowed a Zyliss vice..but I don't like the crank handle , co's I can't turn it all the way round when it's clamped to the bench:( I keep having to engage and disengage on the hex nut till I get it to hold the workpiece.. Are they all like that ?

They are, you've got to place it at the end of your bench or cut out a section so you can turn it (my dad did that, I keep mine at the end). It's flippable so you can use either end of the bench.
My benches don't have any ends , they go from wall to wall Sven ...but I've got an idea how to upgrade the Swiss design to make it more user friendly ;)

Last edited:
I've got no use for the Zyliss vice. I've had two and gave them both away. But the Ken Timms string spacing gauge? If I couldn't use that valuable tool I'd probably give up building. Funny how once you use a tool you can't imagine life without it.

Top Bottom