First build - Thanks

baog

Reaction score
I recently finished my first uke. It's a low G tenor out of sapele and curly maple, bolivian "rosewood" fingerboard and bridge. The finish is Waterlox over shellac (messed up a french polish and lost patience).

I want to thank all of the members of this forum, I've been lurking for a long time using the gorgeous pictures as inspiration. I certainly couldn't have done it without all the great information provided by the amazing luthiers that share their knowledge so generously here.

-baog

Attachments

• Uke back.jpg
    Uke back.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Uke front.jpg
    Uke front.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Uke headstock.jpg
    Uke headstock.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Uke left side.jpg
    Uke left side.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Uke right side.jpg
    Uke right side.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 108
You really know how to make an entrance ��
Congrats on a beautiful first build.

It looks good for a first build so you should be congratulating yourself on this achievement. I've used sapele a lot as its a cheap and readily available wood for hobby makers in the UK though not much used by the pros.

You don't say whether you are happy with the way it sounds, that's what making ukes is really all about. I hope it sounds as good or better than you expected.

Excellent work, you can be justifiably proud! Is the headstock motif an inlay, or applied by another method?

Bob

The headstock is an inlay. I have three young daughters and I wanted to have a motif that would relate to them.

As for sound, I'm pretty happy with it but I don't have much to compare it to since I don't have any other ukuleles and I'm not a player (yet?). It's louder than I would have expected and it has good intonation so I'm pleased that it can make music in the right hands.

Very nice build. What is your finish?

That's interesting that you build first; play later. How did you come to the decision to build; did you play another stringed instrument? Regardless, that is a ukulele anybody would be proud of; to have, to hold, to play.

I don't know if I'll build another one. If I do it will be in a few years; too many other projects to work on. I'm proud of the result, it's one of the nicer things I've built.

I built it because my daughter was playing ukulele at school and asked for one. I was going to build a cigar box uke for her but the project took on a life of its own. My daughter will not own this one, but she may play it.

I find myself picking it up frequently to noodle around with, I don't really have the patience to practice proper technique though, I just pick out simple major key melodies.

The finish is an incomplete french polish with Waterlox on top.

Top Bottom