Patience with new ukes

While I have never gone from "don't like" to "it's a keeper" (or vice-versa), I've had some cases where my immediate favorable inclination waned the more time I spent with an instrument. I also have had some cases where it has taken me a while to fully bond with an instrument. It might be finding the right string combination.

Ive never had a uke get better. Either its good, or its not. "Patience" is a ploy to hope you convince yourself not to return it.

Amen to that - I waited on my first solid uke to open up. I never liked the sound and it never sounded good to me.

I've never really liked the term 'opening up', it rather suggests that it will suddenly be a much better, as in louder more resonant, uke.

However, a new uke will 'settle in', just like strings do. :)

My non-expert experience:
I loved every Uke I have ever played, except the ones I did not like. And I recognized those immediately.
(similar to your "few strums and back on the wall")

Acoustic instruments do "open up". One reasons is that the stiffness-to-weight ratio of the wood increases over time:

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...dboard-the-sonic-effect-of-time-and-vibration

My 20 year old Collings dreadnought is one example. The guitar is noticeably fuller, more open sounding, warmer, and even louder than it was when I first received it 1997. Its not just my impression - you can hear it in the stuff I recorded back then. In fact, I have to EQ out more bass when recording than I used to - using same exact microphones and room I used 20 years ago.

That said - a uke has a lot smaller soundboard than an acoustic guitar. There is no way I would buy a tight sounding uke with the hope that it will open up someday.

Opening up and the break in period are different things. I use to buy Martin guitars, even when I sampled them in shops recently they sound tight. This goes away relatively quick after purchase. Any changes after that come slow are are less obvious.

With ukuleles I can't say I've heard any drastic changes. I just acquired a new Pono and I heard they do have a break in period. Time will tell.

How long does it take you to decide whether you like a new uke, and decide to keep it? As a long time guitarist, I can usually tell after a few strums if I like a guitar. If it's not the tone I like, it goes back on the shop wall quickly. I know all about instruments "opening up" after a period of time/play, but I usually just don't have the patience to wait months or years for that. I know strings can make a difference too, but overall, if I don't like the volume or tone right off the bat, or within a week or two at most, it's not a keeper for me. How about you?

I agree with you. After few strums, a little picking I pretty much know if it is a keeper for me.
If you don't love a uke on day 1, you probably never will.

The hard task is figuring out which one of my 'keepers' to sell when I'm slimming down my number of instruments.

Interesting topic on being patient with Ukes. I for one don't always go on 1st impressions with the uke. I have always purchased my ukes brand new (Kamaka HF-3, Pono MHTSH, Kala KA-ZTP-CTG) and have not been impressed right when I get them. How did I pick them? Well I did research on this forum and then was superfisical with what looks nice, good quality, sounds good (from peoples opinion), and asking the HMS crew their opinion when I order them.

If I went off my innitial impressions I would not have ANY ukes at all. For example my Kamaka HF-3 sounded way to mellow and didn't have a lot of volume (IMO) with the stock Kamaka strings, so I switched them out with some worth clears. My Pono MHTSH sounded super tight, had pretty low volume, and did not project well with the Kooalau Golds so I swapped them out with some Worth clears. The changing of strings of both ukes made a world of difference, for my taste, in making the uke sing! with time and a lot of playing I could hear the both ukes become more full and resonate much better. I know that I became more accustom to the sound but I really believe that time and playing really "opened" them up, especially with my MHTSH.

My opinion is that make a choice on the new baby and work it (them).

Funny, I had just posted on a thread getting peoples opinion on if my new solid top Kala would also "open up" with time. First time with a laminate but I was planning on keeping it and nurturing my new baby:) I gave the stock Aquila's a try and didn't like how twangy they could be, so of course I swapped them out with some new strings (Freemont Blacklines).

Last edited:
I just acquired a new Pono and I heard they do have a break in period. Time will tell.

I'm not sure about the new Pono's (Ive heard that they are lighter and built better) but my 2010 Pono MHTSH took some time. I can't really remember how long but it got better and better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom