Bill Collings Passing

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
Taken from Collings' Guitars Facebook page:

We lost our dear friend and mentor Bill Collings yesterday. He was the amazingly creative force behind Collings Guitars for over 40 years. Through his unique and innate understanding of how things work, and how to make things work better, he set the bar in our industry and touched many lives in the process. His skill and incredible sense of design were not just limited to working with wood, but were also obvious in his passion for building hot rods. To Bill, the design and execution of elegant form and function were what mattered most.
Perhaps even more exceptional than his ability to craft some of the finest instruments in the world, was his ability to teach and inspire. He created a quality-centered culture that will carry on to honor his life's work and legacy. He was loved by many and will be sadly missed. Our hearts are with his family.
William R. Collings
8/9/1948 – 7/14/2017

Wow, Tim. Thanks for posting this. I had an opportunity to meet him six or seven years ago at The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. He gave a wonderful talk on guitar and ukulele building. I was the only "uke" guy there, and he signed the case of my UT-1. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

Last edited:
Very sad to hear this. Bill had a huge impact on the world of luthierie. His instruments are some of the best money can buy.

Last edited:
Two of my friends own Collings ukes and one also owns one of Bill's mandos. They're wonderful. Bill built all the ukes himself. That's a big loss.

Very sad news indeed. I really enjoyed watching the youtube video about his life's work a while back. I now regret selling my Collings UT2, he made wonderful instruments.

I've never had the pleasure to play one of his instruments yet, but always wanted to.

Sad news indeed.

His instruments may become all the more special now that he's gone since no more will be made by his hands and/or supervision. He has left us with a wonderful legacy.

Top Bottom