Season 283 - On A First Name Basis ..... With The Summer Of Love

Back home to sort out the earlier technical hitches. So here is a hit from 1967 for Alan Price, from the wonderful pen of Randy Newman.

Good morning, my friends. The sun is up and today promises to be a comfortable summer day here on Long Island with temps in the mid 80s (F).

Today I'm thinking about the terrific albums that were released in 1967. With some help from Rolling Stone, I thought you might find this list very very impressive. Talk about diversity! Talk about talent! Talk about great music! It's all here.

Wishing everyone a fine day. Linda :)

Here's the link to those Top 40 albums, with a great look at their covers:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...bums-of-1967-20070705/40-albums-1967-40418420

Last edited:
We had Sergeant Pepper in 1967. We also had Magical Mystery Tour, so from that album, here's a Beatles instrumental, written, according to my Ian Macdonald book, Revolution In The Head ( if you're a Beatles nut, it's a great read, a bit pretentious in parts but still fantastic) by all four Beatles and recorded on the 8th and 28th September 1967. This features Bari,concert and soprano uke ( which picks out the melody Lennon played on the mellotron), glockenspiel and humming :D. All other sounds, bass, drums etc, are Garage Band. I don't know if the band envisaged birds when they wrote this, but that's what I did.

I'm sticking with on a first name basis, here's one from Elton, still one of my favourites by Reg and Bernie.

Dylan. This is another I worked up awhile back and have now dusted off for this Season. This one was so dusty I about forgot how to play it. Lol

1967. A parody song of "Lucy in the sky with diamonds". I find this song super catchy, but the lyrics make no sense at all, to a comical degree even. Had fun doing this one though.

Hello!!

This one is my entry for the first name basis: Adele. Thank you for hosting Linda!!

A hug from Barcelona!!

Sara

In 1967 Porter hired Dolly to do his TV show. initially, much of Porter's audience was unhappy that Norma, the performer whom Dolly had replaced, had left the show. The audience heckled Dolly on stage. Porter suggested that he and Dolly should do a duet together:"The Last Thing On My Mind" . This 1967 recording directly led to Dolly'sacceptance by country audiences and her subsequent stardom musically!

Iam glad to have Susan join me on this one. She is learning to play the uke but she just had to sing on this one.

“I Heard It Through The Grapevine” was first recorded in 1967. It was covered by Roger Troutman in 1981. Troutman was well known mononymously as “Roger”. (A lot of stuff was lost in compression for movie & YouTube - HEADPHONES may help.... EARPLUGS will surely fix it all!)

Last edited:
Here's number two for me.

It's a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song on account of my favourite bassist, who goes by the name Flea.

Unfortunately he doesn't have much to do on this particular song but I can hardly play uke like John Frusciante plays guitar much less like Flea plays bass. It's a song I've always wanted to learn though.

(Watch out for the F-bombs and see if you can spot the aborted attempts to transition from the solo back to the main lick :biglaugh: )

Local legend has it that this song was actually written by a local boy by the name of Frank Kosub. He was a guitar player and singer who was known to play with some local bands back during the 1960s. However, he was also known to be...how can I say it...not quite all there and he had difficulty holding down any kind of steady job. Down on his luck and desperate for money, he supposedly sold this song to someone in a bar for a pittance--depending on who is telling the story, $15, or $25, or maybe $50.

Then he was drafted and served a term in Viet Nam, where he was exposed to Agent Orange. He survived the war, but had serious long-term health problems after coming back home and died at a relatively young age.

His mother was a long-time resident of the local nursing home. One of the Saturday afternoon gang would sing this song for her every week, until she passed away a few months ago.

In 1967 Porter hired Dolly to do his TV show. initially, much of Porter's audience was unhappy that Norma, the performer whom Dolly had replaced, had left the show. The audience heckled Dolly on stage. Porter suggested that he and Dolly should do a duet together:"The Last Thing On My Mind" . This 1967 recording directly led to Dolly'sacceptance by country audiences and her subsequent stardom musically!

Iam glad to have Susan join me on this one. She is learning to play the uke but she just had to sing on this one.

3 Thumbs up!
(^ My playing style- all thumbs.)

I knew Tom T. Hall had to have done something in 1967. This was one of the first songs I ever memorized when I was a little kid.

Season 283. Submission 2. "Fixing A Hole" (Words and music by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, 1967)

Here's one from the great Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album:

Back in the 80's there was a middle of the road band that always played this one as part of their set down our local pub so it always reminds me of me and my mates getting pissed (drunk) and fooling around as youngsters. Here's another quickie from '67 ...............

Last edited:
French horn opened with the French national anthem and Ringo ended with
"She loves you yeah yeah" By 1968 thee summer of love was over and student
were rioting on the streets of Paris. Nobody was riding the Marrakesh Express anymore.

I guess if you say "here's a song by Van", everyone knows who you're talking about. That aren't any other "Van"s, excepting Halen, Helsing or Dyke. Anyways, here's a song from 1967.

Top Bottom