Season 283 - On A First Name Basis ..... With The Summer Of Love

Music originally written for Mylène Farmer, who used it for a song called "Bleu Noir." I would like to sing that version, but I think that's too much French all in one place for me. Anyway, Moby then used the music for his own lyrics.

Good afternoon! Special thanks to those who've gotten the Season off to a fine start with songs that reflect one or both parts of this Season's theme.

Some Seasonistas have already turned the page and are now on July 17th. Here's a bit of history for that date from 1967:

In 1967 the Monkees gave a concert in Forest Hills, NY, with Jimi Hendrix as their opening act.

Wouldn't have minded seeing that one! :)

Hope everyone has had, or is having, a nice weekend! Linda

Well, that's annoying. We are away for a few days in our campervan, with no ukulele. So before we set off this morning, I recorded a one take wonder. Set it uploading to YouTube, which said it was in a queue for processing. And off we went...
Now it looks as if it never processed...the title is there on my YT account, but no video. So, sometime later this week, I will try again.:(

A campervan is certainly big enough to carry a uke. My flea lives in its bag in my car. Gets treated mercilessly. Hasn't let me down yet.
Happy and safe travels Steve!

Last edited:
Season 283. Submission 1. "Anticipation" (Words and music by Carly Simon, 1971)

For me, there's only one "Carly."

Entry two: an experiment using a Blue Snowball mic on my MacBook. I put the identical take from my iPhone on the island. Verdict: Vocals much clearer and forward with the Snowball. Video image much clearer (and higher-res) from the phone. Rani helped, as you can see. The experiment continues. Science! (BTW, love the theme, Linda!)

1967, a big hit for country singer Connie Smith, but written and recorded first by one of my all time favorites, "Whispering" Bill Anderson. This song is played during the 7th inning stretch at Cincinnati Reds games.

Last edited:
When I first took up the ukulele a couple of years ago Alantic Magazine infamouslly said you couldn't play Blue Grass on Ukulele! What poppycock!

Beck

'we saw the turns light low' - I'm such a gibberer sometimes....I will say the lyrics didn't make a lot of sense to me anyway so as always first take rule applied.

When I first took up the ukulele a couple of years ago Alantic Magazine infamouslly said you couldn't play Blue Grass on Ukulele! What poppycock!

Tommy, please forgive me. I don't see the connection to the theme - names or 67. Please indicate. Thanks! Linda

Tommy, please forgive me. I don't see the connection to the theme - names or 67. Please indicate. Thanks! Linda

According to wiki ...
"Rocky Top" is an American country and bluegrass song written by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant in 1967 and first recorded by the Osborne Brothers later that same year.

According to wiki ...
"Rocky Top" is an American country and bluegrass song written by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant in 1967 and first recorded by the Osborne Brothers later that same year.

Thank you, Brian. Got it! :)

Well, that's annoying. We are away for a few days in our campervan, with no ukulele. So before we set off this morning, I recorded a one take wonder. Set it uploading to YouTube, which said it was in a queue for processing. And off we went...
Now it looks as if it never processed...the title is there on my YT account, but no video. So, sometime later this week, I will try again.:(

What a coincidence! We're camping in Dorset at the moment (only got a tent though).

Managed to sneak my Dolphin into the car but the songs I want to do aren't particularly suited.

Still gonna try to bring something while we're here though Linda, if only to show off the great setting!

What a coincidence! We're camping in Dorset at the moment (only got a tent though).

Managed to sneak my Dolphin into the car but the songs I want to do aren't particularly suited.

Still gonna try to bring something while we're here though Linda, if only to show off the great setting!

Ryan, hope you have a super time camping! And, of course, some uking around the campfire. I'm hoping you'll find a song for us. :)

Hi, Linda! Wanted to bring this before everyone else decided to do it, and far better than me! This has to be THE anthem of 1967 and the "Summer of Love". (Mitigating circumstances .... I AM wearing a flower in my hair and also my bellbottoms; although you'll have to take my word for that!)

This got as high as number 3 in the UK charts in August '67. Written by late greats Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane. Apologies, It's written as Itckykoo when of course it's Itchycoo. By the way, please don't feed ducks with buns. It's just not good for them :stop:

By the way, I recorded Bari uke and a bit of backing vocal on my daughters iPad, then just played that back and played along with the Flea,....and sang, obviously, recording it onto my iPad.

Last edited:
A campervan is certainly big enough to carry a uke. My flea lives in its bag in my car. Gets treated mercilessly. Hasn't let me down yet.
Happy and safe travels Steve!

Yes, in future a uke comes too.

Top Bottom