Season 283 - On A First Name Basis ..... With The Summer Of Love

Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1967!

Peter Paul And Mary! (all single names)

1967. The Monkees were as well known by their first names as their band name. Davy, Micky, Peter and Mike. Not the best band technically, but one of the most infectious. Never even thought of trying this song before, though I've always liked it. Whipped this up in about 40 minutes from scratch.

Last edited:
I thought I should do some more pop songs, so here's one that probably no one has ever heard, or heard of. I think Lovecraft probably does have single-name recognition, but this isn't him.

Just want to wish everyone a happy Friday and remind everyone that we've still got a few more days to this 1967/ singular names party!

I haven't heard the blues this week, so I'm offering this post for those blues lovers among us.

Fantastic folk festivals also lit up those summer days in 1967. Having recovered from Dylan's having gone electric a few years earlier at Newport, they featured great lineups of performers.

Son House performed at the Newport Folk Festival in his own inimitable way. Here's a clip from the Tube that allows you to hear both a song he did at that 1967 Festival , which was 50 years ago this past week, with his thoughts on the blues superimposed on it. This was part of a famous documentary later made.

Only 3 minutes, but so so worth a listen:

https://youtu.be/EmKguxl9AV0

Last edited:
The Bourgeois Blues" is a blues song by American folk and blues musician,
Lead Belly. It was written in June 1937 in response to the discrimination
and segregation that Lead Belly faced during a visit to Washington, DC to
record for Alan Lomax. It rails against racism, the Jim Crow laws, and the
conditions of contemporary African Americans in the southern United States.

I'm hoping the host will allow this little blues paoriginal (formulaic as the blues are) under the theme category NAMEs.
Son House calls them the BLUSE - they are known as the BLUES - but as I am attempting to blow some harp I'm calling this MY BLEWS -
so it's a name thing - a little tint of colour blue as well -

new bari strings means iffy tuning

SOTU 283: First Names & Summer Love - COTTONWOOD SNOWFLAKES - ddanner

I love it when a Season's theme results in an original that I would never have come close to thinking of on my own! :)

I'm confident the lyrics of this one will meet the Season's theme requirements: first names - check; summer - check; love - check!

:shaka: COLLAB INVITATION: :shaka: I want to add some additional tracks onto this video - especially some soft harmonica by Evelyn in the background, and possibly a soft strumming pattern with my 4 string bari, but I wanted to go ahead and get it uploaded for the season. If any of you would like to get some collab, multi-tracking experience, please feel free to do anything you think would add to the piece (on any instrument). I can link you to a audio-only file if you'd prefer to work from that, but I've retained the count in on the video, and the lyrics and chords are displayed (Key of C). Private message me if you are interested.

I hope you enjoy my original: "Cottonwood Snowflakes" on the debut video of my brand new, birthday (self)gifted Kala 8 String Baritone. :)

Last edited:
SOTU #283 - On A First Name Basis (Lightnin’ & Muddy) - Too Many Drivers

WELL. Turtledrum wrote “…I haven't heard the blues this week…” SO… here’s a quickie, down & dirty (warts & all) blues “On A First Name Basis”…. for “Lightnin’ “ Hopkins & “Muddy” Waters (a.k.a. McKinley Morganfield) - I think Lightnin’ DID record this in 1967…❓…. well, at least he performed it in ’67…:cool:

Last edited:
Summer of 1967: Manuela (one name) got a hit in Germany with Monsieur Dupont, a little story about kids visiting an old friend in his railway wagon home, looking as "passengers" at the world out of the most beautiful wagon, and missing him after adolescence.
Same year Sandy Shaw won ESC with Puppet On A String, She had a hit in 1969 with Manuela's song, but with another Monsieur Dupont. Some adaptions made ;-)

Season 283. Submission 3. "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" (Words and music by Richard Leigh, 1976)

For me, there's one "Crystal" and that's Crystal Gayle. In 1977 her recording of this one gained her worldwide acclaim. Well, for sure I can't bring to the mic what she can, but I hope some folks might enjoy hearing this one again.

This has not been a good week for me. I have had a song lined up most of the week but my wife's not been well and I was very tired earlier in the week so one way and another there has been a shortage of round tuits in our house. I'm out all day tomorrow at a medieval music workshop - should be interesting and I'm taking a uke with me. So it looks unlikely I'll get anything done for this week.

Blues -

Odetta was known as a folk singer. She wrote and recorded this song 1970 but it was under appreciated until it was used in a Southern Comfort commercial a few years back. It is a typical 12 bar blues.

I have much respect for those of you who can work with GarageBand and keep good time with a drum beat. Here is my try at it :)

This has not been a good week for me. I have had a song lined up most of the week but my wife's not been well and I was very tired earlier in the week so one way and another there has been a shortage of round tuits in our house. I'm out all day tomorrow at a medieval music workshop - should be interesting and I'm taking a uke with me. So it looks unlikely I'll get anything done for this week.

Most of all, Geoff, get well wishes for your wife. Enjoy that festival tomorrow as best you can and know that our thoughts are with you and the family.
Linda

This song was covered by H.P. Lovecraft on the same album as the previous song I did. They kind of souped it up a little. This isn't exactly how they did it, but I hope I was at least able to preserve the mood of their version.

Top Bottom