Season 283 - On A First Name Basis ..... With The Summer Of Love

Here we go then.

Unfortunately I didn't have chance to record anything this morning when I had an empty field and could have given it the appropriate amount of welly but I hope this'll do.

It's from the Doors and was released in 1967.

Looking forward to getting home tomorrow where i can rock a bit harder.

I have been known to wear a blue dress and horns out and about. Iam not adverse to wearing flowers in my hair either. My aunts always tell me I wear them on the wrong side though. What the Devil do you suppose that means?

No. 4 on Billboard Charts, 1967.

Last edited:
Tommy, please forgive me. I don't see the connection to the theme - names or 67. Please indicate. Thanks! Linda

Linda Believe it or not Rocky Top was written in 1967, As is indicated in the first line of the info section. Bill Monroe was not the only person to write Blue Grass songs!

Was 1967 a construct? Click here to find out! :p

I Shall Go Unbounded is an Eric Andersen song, and may be followed by a couple more, if I get the opportunity to record. I didn't hear of Eric till around 69, maybe late '68, since I was out of the country all of 67 and most of 68. Before '68 was over, though, I got to SF, Haight-Ashbury, & the Berkley campus (well after the happenings there).
It seemed "normal" to me to run into someone I had known most of my life helping out at the "free church" in SF, trying to help those having bad trips to come down, to cope. He used peanut butter a lot. (yes, I know, there ought to be a song there somewhere) - Eat it. Taste it. Concentrate on it. - another taste. concentrate.
Anyway, because I had a bit of trouble with the highest part of the song, the word -"only"- as in "...I would only like to see you ", I was going to re-record, but decided the anguish was appropriate to the song. :)

Little Morissey tune for you during our camping trip. We sorta knew the lyrics and the chords...this is a tad rough, and it really up to our or ally professional standard ;)

[
It seemed "normal" to me to run into someone I had known most of my life helping out at the "free church" in SF, trying to help those having bad trips to come down, to cope. He used peanut butter a lot. (yes, I know, there ought to be a song there somewhere) - Eat it. Taste it. Concentrate on it. - another taste. concentrate.

Now that's a song I'd like to hear!

Tuesday afternoon ... (Great song by the Moody Blues, btw)

Terrific artists being represented at this week's happening and I love the mix of those who were part of 1967's music scene and those who came after.

Thought some of you might enjoy a look back at the Summer of Love (with a little help from my friends at Wiki):

June 1
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles is released in Mono and Stereo LPs.
Greece's fascist junta issues "Army decree No 13", which bans playing or listening to the music of Mikis Theodorakis.
June 4 – Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Denny Laine and his Electric String Band, Procol Harum and The Chiffons, perform a two-hour "Sunday Special" at Saville Theatre in London.
June 10–11 – The KFRC Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival at Mount Tamalpais in Marin County, California features Canned Heat, The Byrds, The Seeds, Blues Magoos, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Country Joe and the Fish and others on the bill for a charity concert attended by 15,000; considered the first pop festival in some histories, but eclipsed in attendance and stature by the Monterey Pop Festival the following week.
June 15 – Jacqueline Du Pré marries Daniel Barenboim[1] at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.
June 16 – Barbra Streisand performs live concert "A Happening in Central Park" in New York's Central Park.
June 16–18 – The Monterey Pop Festival, the world's first large scale outdoor rock music festival, is held in Monterey, California. Stars include The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, Eric Burdon & The Animals, The Byrds, The Association, Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother and The Holding Company w/ Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix. Otis and the MG's take the stage at 1:00 am after Jefferson Airplane and bring down the house; 55,000 are in attendance. Ravi Shankar is among the performers at the festival.
June 19 – During his stay in California on a houseboat in Sausalito, while listening to the Beatles' Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band, Otis Redding is inspired to compose "Sitting On the Dock of the Bay".
June 25 – The Beatles perform "All You Need Is Love" for the Our World television special, the first worldwide television broadcast. Backing singers include Eric Clapton, members of The Rolling Stones and The Who.
June 28
The Supremes perform for the first time as Diana Ross & the Supremes at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. Florence Ballard is fired from the group after the first night, and on-hand stand-in Cindy Birdsong permanently takes Ballard's place in the group.
The Monkees fly into London at the start of their concerts at the Empire Pool, Wembley.
June 29 – Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are sentenced to jail for drug possession. They later appeal successfully against the sentences.
June-July – Shortly after the end of the Six-Day War, conductor Leonard Bernstein leads the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra on a tour to the Sinai desert, the site of fighting only days before.

July 1 – William Rees-Mogg, editor of The Times, uses the phrase "Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?" in his editorial criticizing the prison sentences given to Mick Jagger and Keith Richard two days earlier.
July 2 – Jeff Beck and John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers perform a two-hour "Sunday Special" at Saville Theatre in London.
July 3 – The Beatles host a party at the Speakeasy Club for The Monkees on the completion of their concerts in London.
July 5 – First of the Schaefer Music Festivals, held in Central Park. Lineup consists of Len Chandler, The Young Rascals, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
July 18 – The Jimi Hendrix Experience is thrown off a tour of The Monkees after complaints from the conservative Daughters of the American Revolution. (Hendrix's manager Chas Chandler later admitted it was a publicity stunt.)
July 29 – Motown Records releases "Reflections," the first single by the group's new billing, "Diana Ross & The Supremes" and after firing founding member Florence Ballard; Ballard, nevertheless, sings on the record and appears on the vinyl's cover alongside group members Ross and Wilson because the song was recorded before her dismissal.

August 14 – The Marine Broadcasting Offences Act becomes law in the United Kingdom, and most offshore radio stations (including Wonderful Radio London) have already closed down. Only Radio Caroline North & South on 259 would continue. As Radio Caroline International.
August 21 – Mikis Theodorakis is arrested by the Greek military authorities and jailed for five months.
August 23 – Brian Epstein's last visit to a Beatles' recording session, at the Chappell Recording Studios on Maddox Street, London. The last new Beatles song he lived to hear was "Your Mother Should Know". Epstein died of an overdose of Carbitral, a form of barbiturate or sleeping pill, in his locked bedroom, on 27 August 1967[2]
August 27 – The Beatles, in Bangor, Wales, with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, are informed of the death of their manager Brian Epstein, and they return to London at once.
August 31 – Paul McCartney calls a band meeting to discuss his TV movie idea about a psychedelic bus ride.

Interesting to look back, for sure. Thank you for another lovely day of music. Linda

Last edited:
One of the guys who plays at the nursing home does a lot of Merle Haggard songs, including this one. I usually just sing the chorus backing vocals. I think he does it in a lower key, though. He also does "Lonesome Fugitive," but since Recovering Bassist had already done that one, I thought I'd try this one.

And now for something different, Groucho! I worked this one up awhile back. Dusted it off for such an occasion as Season 283.

1967 brought an unparalleled abundance of imaginative, important songs. It also brought a flood of pop songs that remain popular to this day.

My vocals on this one are a bit like a sex change going through the transition in speech therapy but hey 'tis all about the uke for me but hope I've managed to hit a couple of good notes in there somewhere to be bearable on your ears.................

From 1967, The Turtles. They never managed to make it to Australia as the Turtles, but I did see them at a local theatre in Geelong as Flo & Eddie. A memorable concert only in that they decided to heap scorn on the audience right from their first song when they had a false ending, the crowd clapped and cheered, they continued from the false ending, finally finished the song and no one clapped because we weren't sure they had finished. This was around there Frank Zappa period, so I suppose they thought it was cool to be abusive and aloof.

Top Bottom