in praise of Ken Timms Martin style ukes

hotdogfingers

Reaction score
I've played ukulele for several years at this point and there was always something about the instrument that was missing for me. So what would happen is, I would get obsessed with it for a while, buy and trial a few instruments, decide the size or the sound or the feel just wasn't quite right, and sell them off and stop playing for months.

I was initially attracted to instruments with some bling- the abalone inlay, the fancy bindings or exotic woods. Being perpetually dissatisfied, I inevitably set my sights on less ornate models (usually with a bit higher price tag). Enter the kiwaya kts-4 (stay with me, yes, this is about Ken Timms ukes). I'd heard and read much about these kiwayas and found one for a deal, snatched it up, and although I really, really liked it, I sold it shortly after the purchase having convinced myself that the soprano fretboard was just a bit too small.

I then went on a super soprano spree, but felt that the longer neck somehow detracted from the sound and feel of the traditional soprano neck- I just couldn't get over how much more tension I felt on the strings.

The whole time I was hemming and hawing, I kept hearing about the ukuleles made by Mr. Ken Timms of the UK. I was intrigued. A kiwaya kts-7 made its way into the fold in the midst of this search and I felt (and still feel, even though it's currently for sale) that it is a top-notch instrument. It sounded great, played great, and was beautiful. But then I got my hands on a Timms soprano, style O.

Game over; my UAS has been arrested. What's the big deal, you ask? Here it is.
I actually have 2 Timms ukes- a style 0 and a style 1; they are both superb.

Sound: I won't put a number on any of these ratings; sound is such a subjective thing... When I play and listen to an instrument I find myself asking "is there anything missing? Anything I would like to hear more/less of? Is the tone pleasant to my ear? Is it loud enough?"
My 2 Timms ukes were made from different batches of Mahogany. The style O is an absolute cannon!! It's louder than anything I've ever played and not in an obnoxious way. Both are very responsive to heavy strumming and light finger-picking. Both have excellent tone and sustain, and yes, they ring pretty well all the way up to the 12th fret. There are no 'dead notes' on any of the frets or any of the strings. And no offense meant, but I'm not one to believe that the strings can cure a dead note; I've tried several strings on ukes with dead notes in the past, and the note remained dead regardless of the brand/type of string. So, having 2 ukes made by one guy and his wife with no dead notes demonstrates some pretty good consistency.
And talking strings, I have to admit when I saw that the ukes would be arriving strung with Aquilas, my first thought was "Well, I'll have to change those out pretty much immediately". But that wasn't the case with these 2 instruments. They sound great actually with the aquilas- which is great news because most of the local stores only carry those and the martin flurocarbons; otherwise I have to order out. My beef with aquilas is a long one. I read one reviewer who stated that the strings themselves had a distinct sound, and no matter what instrument you put them on, the characteristics of the strings stand out more than the characteristics of the instrument itself. That, and they squeak. So anyhow- a uke that sounds good with aquilas is pretty much a keeper for me. I don't know how either of the ukes will sound with flurocarbons, but I'm willing to be it will be good.

Playability: best neck I've played, hands down. My hands are fairly large and narrow necks with narrow string spacing never worked for me. I haven't actually measured the necks, but they just slightly beefier than my kiwaya. The action is also slightly higher than my kiwaya, but very playable and comfortable all the way up. The intonation is spot-on. The frets are dressed very nicely. I have zero complaints. It's also nicely balanced.

Tuners: comes with high quality friction tuners. I used to not be a fan of friction tuners, but geared tuners just don't look right on a soprano uke. I can get the ukes in tune with no problem, and they stay in tune with very little adjustment. I like these...

Fit/Finish: awesome. I think Mrs. Timmbuck does the French polish; just beautiful! Very smooth surface. Be careful if you sweat a lot like me- you'll want to wipe that off pretty much immediately. Probably not a finish you would want on a uke you'd take camping because it's just a bit more fragile, but a very well-done piece of the whole. The seams are tight, the rosettes are beautiful, everything feels very solid. A look into the soundhole reveals care and meticulous attention to detail (I think I read that Timmbuck is a retired engineer- it shows in his work)

Value: incredible value! This is uke made almost entirely by 1 person (save the finish of course), so he knows each instrument inside and out. I cannot afford a custom instrument, but I feel like I have 2 of them now. I feel like Mr. Timms is doing the uke community a favor by producing these incredible instruments at affordable prices.

Overall: I've had my Timms ukuleles only a couple of months at this point, so I can't speak to longevity, but I have to think that if properly cared for, there's no reason they won't last as long as any other instrument. Superb build and attention to detail, superb playability, incredible volume and sound (IMO). I'm sold!! If you want an heirloom instrument, keep on the lookout on ebay (that's the only place I know of where he sells these). You won't be disappointed!

Thanks for a great write-up.

I too am hoping to acquire one of Mr. Timms fine ukes before he retires. :)

I tried to get one of Ken's ukes on ebay for over a year - I'd bit the maximum that my budget would allow, and kept getting outbid.

Then I found one that the seller said he had purchased, but never got around to playing, as he was mainly a guitar player. It was also in the UK. We negotiated briefly - believe it or not, the Timms uke was listed as "X pounds Or Best Offer", and had been unbid for nearly 2 weeks. I made an offer - slightly less than my budget - with shipping included, and he accepted. I paid him by PayPal.

Then I started to worry.

What if it wasn't a real Timms? What if it was stolen? Damaged? How was the shipping?

Well, it shipped insured, and although there was no case, it was wrapped in 5" thick bubble wrap (in all directions) with extra padding around the neck, and triple boxed.

It is sweet, although I do struggle with friction tuners.

And I haven't bought another instrument since I got it.

I had both a Timms and a Kiwaya, as well, but kept the Kiwaya! Your description of both is just what I experienced; slightly thicker neck and higher action on the Timms. They sound different, but both sound good. Either is a great value, I think. Being able to buy something from the builder is a privilege. Both these ukes are advertisements for what a soprano is all about. Congratulations on your new ukes. I'm sure they will be playing just as beautifully, if not moreso in 50 years.

I have a 'Style O' from the recent batch. I agree with you on the finish they are easily dinged. I had an Uluru concert that was the same. Thankfully with one tiny bop this has been discovered, i keep it in a hard case till play time and am very careful with it.

I work nights and remember the day it arrived. Truly felt like something really special had been delivered. I did take the aquilas off and put on a set of Martin M600's. Sounds and plays like nothing else. There seems to be no headroom to the volume, all strings ring out. Sometimes the C string can make the whole sound too warm and overpower the rest. Not so here.

Its nice to have a ukulele that not everyone can get their hands on. Most can be commissioned for a 6 month wait. Heck i can grab a vintage Martin easier. :) Talking of Martin, there is no modern Martin available that can come close to a Timms. My S1 is going. The Timms hasn't stopped my UAS, i have a couple in the mail this week but the Timms will always be a keeper. I took it round to my parents who have zero interest in the ukulele just to show them. Wife thought i was mad. :)

True modern vintage.

Top Bottom