New cheap ukulele advice.

cody41020

Reaction score
Hello!
I am in the market for an affordable beginner ukulele. I've been using a Martin Smith soprano that has been doing very well for its 20$ price tag, but, as I am sure would be evident, it has prevalent shortcomings. It occasionally makes "twangy" sounds even when my fingers are not close to the frets and has a pretty cheap finish. Overall, a great instrument for me to learn the ropes on but I am eager to move up to something more quality.

I've read online that most ukuleles under 50$ are all terrible- but I've also been told elsewhere that this is not true and that there are plenty of decent instruments around 30$. I am currently looking at the ones below and need some help picking between them.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Diamond-Head/DU-150-Soprano-Ukulele.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue/H...670.gc?pfm=item_page.rr2|CategorySiloedViewCP

I predict that strings will be a major problem in quality, but I recently purchased Aquila strings to upgrade the Martin Smith I've been using- they can be changed over.

If neither of these are good, please suggest anything decent or better around the price range.

Thanks for your help!
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/images/icons/icon10.png

Last edited:
I usually suggest a Kala or Ohana, it is worth spending a reasonable amount, & get it from a reputable dealer, as they will make sure it's setup properly. :)

(Mims, HMS in the US, Southern Ukulele Store if in the UK or Europe.)

I would stay away from the Diamond Head. I don't know anything about the Rogue.

I personally like the Caramel concerts and tenors as beginner instruments, which can be ordered from Caramel in China and take 20-30 days to arrive. However, it is worth noting that Barry Maz (gotaukulele.com) reviewed one and thought it was complete rubbish--so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I have 50 of these for my students ($37 per instrument versus $60 for a Makala, for example) and I think they are great for what they are--a starter ukulele.

Of other interest is the Donner concert, which sells for $60 plus a tuner, gig bag, and strings from Amazon. Incidentally, Barry reviewed that one much more favorably.

To be honest, neither one of those seems like an upgrade to what you're currently playing. When I was in your position what I did was skim $20 off every paycheck and put it in a ukulele fund. After a few months, I had enough to buy a reliable ukulele. That's what I would suggest you do as well. Otherwise you are going to have two twangy ukuleles that you aren't content with.

To be honest, neither one of those seems like an upgrade to what you're currently playing. When I was in your position what I did was skim $20 off every paycheck and put it in a ukulele fund. After a few months, I had enough to buy a reliable ukulele. That's what I would suggest you do as well. Otherwise you are going to have two twangy ukuleles that you aren't content with.

Now this is good advice. Somehow this kind of money stewardship lacks these days. Thus problems w credit cards.

Thanks for your advice- I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting an essential duplicate quality wise. This really helped, thanks!

Last edited:

Yep. Do this. I just spent $210 on a new uke that I suspect will be awesome. I'll be unboxing it this afternoon, so I'll let you know.

There is a saying, "Buy cheap, buy twice"

In this case with ukuleles, I've observed that the threshold as per common wisdom for 'cheap' is less than $50USD with a HUUUUUUGE caveat - in that the uke at $50 MUST have a setup done by the vendor and NOT be drop-shipped direct from a warehouse (usually in Asia) by a big-box store or online megacorp, such as Guitar Center, Sam Ash, BestBuy, Amazon, Walmart, etc...

Recommended & popular vendors here on UU are MIM's and Uke Republic, who IN FACT do a full setup on each instrument sold, and ALSO sell sopranos at around $50, AND who's sole function of business is for UKULELE and NOT geetar, mandolin nor BAND INSTRUMENTS...

Do yourself a HUGE favor and dont cheap out, otherwise you will still pay, but in frustration and disappointment.

Click > HERE < to see the 453 items MIM has for sale right now (she sells direct over the phone or via eBay)

and

Click > HERE < to see what Mike has over at Uke Republic

Note: these are NOT affiliate links nor do I get compensated for telling you about these vendors. I am only passing on information based upon my own experience, and from the testimonials of other folks here on the forum over the past 4 yrs since I joined.

I would NOT buy a Rogue ukulele, unless you intend to use it as a stage prop and do a Pete Townsend act with it, or in order to soak it with lighter fluid and use it to start a bonfire. :)

Yep. Do this. I just spent $210 on a new uke that I suspect will be awesome. I'll be unboxing it this afternoon, so I'll let you know.

Yes, please do. It will be awesome. When I cashed in my ukulele fund I got a spalted mango Oscar Schmidt. Since then I have acquired much more expensive ukuleles which are superior to it only in their refinements. However the Oscar Schmidt is a good ukulele that can do everything. I could have lived a completely satisfied ukulele life if I had purchased no other ukuleles.

Yes, please do. It will be awesome. When I cashed in my ukulele fund I got a spalted mango Oscar Schmidt. Since then I have acquired much more expensive ukuleles which are superior to it only in their refinements. However the Oscar Schmidt is a good ukulele that can do everything. I could have lived a completely satisfied ukulele life if I had purchased no other ukuleles.

I'm having issues with it. I don't want to give a full report until I've thoroughly investigated the issues. I may end up badmouthing a good manufacturer for no reason or vice versa.

Top Bottom