Weird resonance when playing G

It is very common for ukuleles with a piezo or under-saddle pickup to develop a buzz in an empty jack, or by poor wire routing. Instruments with battery/EQ installed are also capable of buzzing. I've had this problem with my custom uke and with a Kamaka uke after installing Mi-Si pickups.

There is evidence that there is a resonance with the frequency associated with G (happens on 2 strings when G is played). But still could be coincidence. So...
If there is a buzz on that instrument truely associated with that frequency, then we should be able to reproduce it in more places.
You say the 2nd string, 3rd fret (which is G) creates the buzz. So tune that string down a full step to D. Now G will be on that string on the fifth fret. See if the buzz is gone from the 3rd fret, but now has moved to the 5th fret. Now tune that string up two full steps to F#. In this case G has moved to the first fret. See if the buzz has followed, and only occurs now at the first fret.

If the buzz truely moves wherever G occurs, then I think that would confirm a resonance to that particular frequency on that instrument, and is not related to fret buzz, action, relief, etc.

I like your thinking!

I just replaced the strings with a different brand/type to see if that helps. I'll get on to your suggestion that as soon as the new strings settle in.

It is very common for ukuleles with a piezo or under-saddle pickup to develop a buzz in an empty jack, or by poor wire routing. Instruments with battery/EQ installed are also capable of buzzing. I've had this problem with my custom uke and with a Kamaka uke after installing Mi-Si pickups.

Thanks, but that doesn't apply here.

FIXED!!!!! Pueo's advice to try different strings and see what happens did the trick. It seems that this uke and PHD strings just don't get along.

Sounds like you are in good shape now -- but, for future reference, that sound sometimes comes from the nut slot needing adjustment or a minor reshaping where the string goes over the saddle.

i was following this thread yesterday, wanted to post but didn't have anything useful to say, except "it's such a lovely uke, i hope you get it sorted"! so - i am really happy it's fixed! :rock:

i was following this thread yesterday, wanted to post but didn't have anything useful to say, except "it's such a lovely uke, i hope you get it sorted"! so - i am really happy it's fixed! :rock:

I'll write a bit of a review now that I've worked out most of the issues with it. It's a really unique uke, and I want to give the maker a bit of publicity. I held off on writing the review, because I didn't want to say anything negative if I was able to sort out the issues.

Yay! So glad to hear it is resolved.
I have had mine for a little over eight (and seven) years now, love them both very much.

Top Bottom