Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What tuner do you use?

This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I use either the built-in tuner or Planet Waves Mini, simply because these can reside on the headstock and thus are always where I need them.
    Using a removable tuner sooner or later results in the tuner being out of reach, at least for me. Loose things tend to get lost.....
    Soprano Concert Tenor Bass
    Makala MK-S (Baton Rouge SU-BW)
    Kala SSTU-FMCP (ukuMele FC)
    Makala Waterman (ukuMele)
    Firefly Walnut (Aquila)
    Flea M-42 (Aurora green)
    Koa Pili Koko Acacia (Martin)
    Big Island KTO-CT
    Blackbird Clara
    Kala KA-KG-T8 (Living Water) Kala Ubass EM-FS (Aquila Red)

more about all my ukuleles on just.4str.in

Every artist was first an amateur (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Quote Originally Posted by Inksplosive AL View Post
    I bought one of these a few days ago from a local music shop. I normally use a Snark, but wanted something more low profile to tuck into the small pocket on my soprano gig bag. I can't get used to the Korg. It seems to jump back and forth between too flat & too sharp and never lands on the solid green light. Also, the G looks almost the same as the C on the display. I have a couple of the Planet Waves Eclipse tuners on order from Amazon to try out.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 11-06-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Because the distributor we get violin bits and pieces from also sells Snarks I get them cheap. In fact, I carry them around with me and give them away if someone comes up short a tuner. One lives in my shop drawer and has been abused in all sorts of ways. It still works. One battery change I can remember. For the money, Snarks are my favorite, even if you pay full retail.

I also have an NS Micro sound hole tuner and it's really a very nice solution -- aside from putting it on and keeping it on. If I were a gigging musician this would be my first choice, and I'd do a little fiddling to make it a snug fit. Because I walk around with one of the carbon fiber hybrid ukes I'm just about done prototyping the MS Micro is a no-go. When someone asks about the uke I can seldom resist banging it on a tabletop or chair back to make the point about durability. Everyone jumps when I do this, every time. If I've been dumb enough to do this with the NS Micro in place, it jumps too, either onto the floor or into the uke. Oh bother. However, despite this sort of senseless abuse it still works.
    Robert Edney
    Robert@ElixirViolins.com

Much more interested in playing the ukulele than making violins just now...

Big thumbs up on the D'Addario Planet Waves Eclipse tuners. Mine arrive from Amazon today and I like them a lot. Compact, yet easy to read. They clip on and swivel for easy viewing. The tuner is very easy to tell whether you are flat, sharp, or locked in. The smaller size fits much better in my soprano gig bag zipper pocket, and it's less bulky to leave on the headstock while playing.

Reverb tuners for me. They do everything I want them to do, and are really sturdy and inexpensive. Had the blue and black Snark and gave them away to family starting to play the ukulele as they are easier for a newbie. Still have the red Snark, my favorite of that brand, but it seems to go through batteries faster than the Reverb ones.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Thread Information