Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tuner do you use?

Default What tuner do you use?

I am currently using a Snark tuner but was wondering if there is a better tuner for the ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by strat4me View Post
    I am currently using a Snark tuner but was wondering if there is a better tuner for the ukulele?
    I started with Snark, now I use the Planet Waves/D'Addario tuners. I have one on each of my instruments.

-Kurt
    Last edited by ksiegel; 07-20-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: misspeelde werd
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thank you Kurt, will check them out.

My father has a Snark, he uses for his guitar. It's held together with tape these days, though I don't know why as he doesn't even take it out the house. Other people have said they like theirs, but I'm personally not fond of them. However I have recently noticed they've brought out a newer model with "Extra-Strong Clip", so far as it's advertised.
    I have a 'Cherub WST-640U' , it's a small Clip-on Tuner which simply clips on the Headstock, it's only use is for Ukulele tuning. It's Auto On-Off, so it turns on automatically when you flip it up, and Off when you flip it down again, very simple and convenient. It shows when you have 4G, 3C, 2E, 1A, and that's all it does, although it can also be switched to D tuning as well as C tuning. There's no other functions or frills. I find it great for my Uke tuning on the 4-strings, it's reliable and convenient.
    I also use an 'Aroma' Clip-on Tuner for my 8-String as it has other functions such as Chromatic Tuner, as well as Guitar etc, and personally I also play some Guitar. I have also found this one to be reliable.
    As back-up, in case I'm ever caught out without a tuner, I have a Tuner App on my mobile, and these are very good to use as a good Mobile App. However the downfall is they will also pick up background noises, so not always convenient, but good to have nonetheless, you can get free Tuner Apps, I like PitchLab, but there's also quite a few others to choose from.
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 07-18-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Eno ET-33. It came in a package with my first ukulele, before I ever heard of snark or planet waves. It is still going strong.
    Last edited by Rllink; 07-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Eno ET-33. It came in a package with my first ukulele. It is still going strong.
    Good to know they work well. I looked at them a while ago Online, though didn't purchase one because I knew nothing about them. They are very reasonably priced from what I could see.

I was using the D'Addario Planet Waves NS-Micro tuner, and after getting a half-dozen of them and keeping them on various ukes, I realized that the constant battery changing was costing me a small fortune. After about 30 days use, the batteries (in everything) in my house seem to go flat. Now they are all in a cigar box in my drawer, unused.
    see here: https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-NS-M.../dp/B005FKF1PY

I grabbed one of the Reverb tuners when they went on sale for $1 with free shipping. It works well enough. Next time they went on sale, I bought myself a 5-pack as 'backups', none of which have even been opened yet and are in the drawer for when the first one I bought finally dies. It is still going strong 2 yrs later. Battery lasts a long while too, which is nice. see here: https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner

For an app, I like and used instuner on iOS. It has several different modes, including 2 'strobe tuner' modes, and was free when I bought it. see here: http://eumlab.com/instuner/

One of the things I like about instuner is that it shows the OCTAVE of the note you are in, which is very handy for string changes so you done overtune to an octave too high and pop a string from excessive tension.

Would that I could, I'd like to get the TC Electronic PolyTune clip-on ($49) which has a strobe mode, or the Peterson Clip-on Strobe Tuner ($79) but that's an awful lot for me to spend for precision that I can get from a free app.

Maybe if I win the lottery and after ALL debts are paid, I can 'splurge' on such a fancy tuner - LOL

I use a Snark tuner that I bought “new” for a low price on eBAY a coupla' years ago, and it still works ok; well enough for my purposes. FWIW, however, when first tried, its display was pretty dim, and before too long, the battery died. I'm guessing it may have been NOS (new old stock).
    YMMV, but caveat emptor.

I have a Snark which works very well and is still holding together. (5+ years) When I read about all the problems a lot of people seem to have with them breaking and falling apart it makes me wonder how they are being handled. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you handle it with the proper respect. I also use a Reverb which is another excellent tuner. I couldn't pass up the deal when they were selling for $1 with free shipping.
    Lanikai LU-21C concert - nato laminate (my starter uke!)
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I have probably a dozen Planet Waves/D'Addario mini tuners and the batteries last a very long time. You do have to be sure to turn them off when not tuning, I've noticed in my uke group that a few people leave on all through the hour rehearsal.

• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    • Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Thread Information