Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What tuner do you use?

I have a few Snarks and they are OK, but I don't like it that they don't fold flat and are easy to break the ears of the socket. I have an Intellituner that does fold flat , has a stronger joint and prefer it. It is my oldest tuner and will probably outlast the newer Snarks. more expensive , but will last a lot longer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT50.../dp/B002Q0WSO8
    Last edited by strumsilly; 08-06-2017 at 04:44 AM.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

I use Electric Tuna, made by Fishman..... but seriously, the Crescendo Zen Strobe tuner is super accuate & inexpensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

Still this: https://uke-tuner.com/
    It does its job although it takes some time.
    I want to get a tuner, because I don't always have internet obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I hear ya. When I lead the jam sessions, if I hear an outta tune uke, I'll stop, try to find it, and before the next song, help them tune it. Same in the beginner workshops. If people refuse to tune in, I'm not sure what I'd do, probably confiscate the damn uke, Booli. Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.
    Hi Nickie,

When I read this post I immediately thought of the movie "Whiplash" and it definitely made me laugh. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time tuning than playing. It drives me crazy when I see a video posted and the instruments out of tune.

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the PolyTune Clip. They make it in black now in addition to white. They are more expensive than most mentioned here but I find it better than the less expensive options. I just ordered a Peterson Stroboclip SC-1 as well to try. PolyTune's are about $50 online and the Peterson is $80. If you get Guitar Center or others coupons you can usually save 15% on either of these and get free shipping.

Tuning on the 12th fret using overtones can be helpful as well.

I am new to ukulele, about 2.5 weeks, but not to guitar like instruments.
    For tuning I use my Android Tablet or phone and a free application DaTuner.

I could maybe get some tuner attached to my uke, as i always need to unlock the android with pattern, gets a bit much if done many times daily as nylon strings do creep and uke needs constant retuning. But I like the accuracy of DaTuner.

I tune the first string about 2.5 cents below standard 440 Hz, Same goes to the 4th g string. These strings are the thinnest.
    The middle strings I try to tune less thn but about 5 cents below the standard.

Why below? There is the nut and tension we cause to strings pressing down near it. Also my experience from my guitars. Depending of the uke those values could be different or if you want somewhat equal temperament in upper frets and in the end all depends of the instrument in case.

Snark all the way!

I got today Boss TU-01. This miniature clip-on tuner is chromatic. It has also Guitar, Bass and Ukulele modes. I prefer the default chromatic mode.

Will see how long it lasts. I compared it to DaTuner (ref. A4 set to 440Hz) phone microphone using app and both gave the same tuning within 5 cents. It is good to have a phone app as a backup.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 09-12-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Usually, "Chicken-of-the-Sea". It's good on toast with olives or chopped up apple--YUM!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

These little clip on tunas are great https://www.stringsbymail.com/planet...t-12-7306.html
    All the best,
    Campbell

Thread Information