What tuner do you use?

First one I bought was a Tanglewood TCT25 ... I've since figured out the TCT stands for Totally Crap Tuner!
Now use a Snark, don't need owt else :)

Snark is good enough for me. I just ordered three more at $7.00 apeice on Amazon for Cyber Monday. I don't even need them all but at $7.00 each I'd feel a fool not to buy a few.

New uke? Fresh tuner. Now I can put one in each case and not have to think about tuners anymore.

See I bought a handful of the first gen micro tuners awhile back and put one on every uke I use. Guess what... I replaced a handful of batteries way to quickly. So the Korg PC1 it is... is it a bit jumpy or imperfect *shrugs* I guess I tune a bit looser than most.

Since using one tuner I have a handful of fresh batteries waiting for use. In a pinch when I'm not at home forgetting the tuner I use a free android app called DaTuner lite. It is the only tuner installed on my devices.

~peace~

i use kala app tuning,enya tuner and snark tuner

The Boss TU-01 that I got according to this thread at 12th september last year broke a few days ago. It was nice, though poor battery holder. I used it very much so I did not bother to ask quarantee compensation. The power button just broke from my excess usage.

The new one is somewhat more higher end one, TC Electronic UniTune clip. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ectronic-unitune-clip-clip-on-chromatic-tuner
The price was 35€ at the local music store in Finland.
I like it already a lot and I am mainly using the default "needle" mode instead the "strobe" one that is supposed to be even more accurate. Problem is that uke strings are sometimes themselves not so accurate so that kind of extra is in my opinion not needed.

So easy with just colors tell if a note is exactly in tune or slightly low or high.

I have been using the same inexpensive clip-on tuner for the past 5+ years, an Eno ET-33. It's the "few dollars" kind. I bought a second, identical one a couple years ago, but it didn't seem as responsive. I also bought a €60 Polytune clip-on tuner, which I liked less than the cheapo and pretty much never use. (I also use the Tunable app for iOS/Android when I restring, and I have a tuning fork I'd like to master.)

I've still got a Korg tuner that I bought in the 70s, I might give it to our local museum! :D

I have too, Korg Micro Six (Korg GT-6J) and it is sill working! The built in microphone is a somewhat temperamental and I need to blow in it sometimes, but the guitar cable jack connection works flawlessly. Mine was bought 15th september 1984, https://offerup.com/item/detail/439874598/

As you can see from the small display. the time has gone and it is no more accurate enough on modern day standards. And no chromatic mode, only guitar one. Is I think also applicable down to bass range also with the jack input.

The modern clip-on tuners are so handy because you can tune acoustic instruments with them in noisy environments :)

I use a D’addario mini tuner on the headstock of my teaching uke. Then I have a Peterson clip on tuner that I use for everything else.

Choir guy on here turned me on to Roadie 2 tuners for tuning classroom ukes very quickly and I’ve been having fun with it quickly changing timings on my own ukes.

As many others, I too use the D'Addario mini tuners. I like the fact that they are small but I have experienced that they have a tendency to "rattle", which can be annoying...

As many others, I too use the D'Addario mini tuners. I like the fact that they are small but I have experienced that they have a tendency to "rattle", which can be annoying...

I know what you mean with the rattle. I put a piece of clear tape over the buttons on mine to stop that.

I used a snark for a while but when out and about I broke a couple. I started using a Boss TU10 bought in 2013 and still going strong.

Maybe in these cases it's more a matter of ego (or hubris), and admitting to others the inability of their own hearing perception to do it accurately.

YouTube is full of folks who think this way or believe that their tuner is lying to them, and after 10 seconds of listening to a player with a flat E string or sharp C string, I cannot close the browser tab fast enough, as it's line nails on a chalboard to me when the instrument is +/- 15 cents out of tune, yet the person yammers on, way out of tune...

If I am in a group setting, either everyone tunes electronically to some standard, hopefully A-440, otherwise I will just leave.

Maybe it's harsh or intolerant, but often I find the arrogance of not wanting to be in tune, and/or the willful ignorance of WHY it is important on part of other folks in the group, usually manifests in other personality deficits later on, and then the whole experience just becomes sour for all involved, even if I say NOTHING and try to live through the auditory torture.

OTOH, maybe it's just me and I've become a miserable, rotten, sociopathic person in my mid-life age...LOL

I can tune off a tuning fork, but I wouldn't do it in a group it takes me too long, and I am getting older and not as accurate as I once was. I've met a lot of people how claim that tuners were a waste of money. I remember someone being given a tuner during a strum-along and taking "The hump" and he was shockingly out of tune, opinionated and always disappeared before his round was due. So I think your spot on. Any way I've been a miserable intolerant git since I hit 40 it's my birthright!

After my old tuner broke I got a korg - It's not a clip on tuner. It's very accurate & durable as I've dropped it a number of times.

Used to jam with up to 15 guitars - when electronic tuners became available, it made a whole lot of difference. We thought we were in tune but that sure wasn't the case!

Another NS Mini user here.

Just got a Polytune 2 Mini from TC Electronics for my pedalboard. Really fast and accurate. Makes me feel kind of dumb for using my Baggs Venue for so long (not that it's BAD, but I think this is going to end up being a better tuner).

i got the newest version of the peterson strobo clip and it is the best, most right-on tuner i've ever had. i use it for guitars, ukes, lap steels, dadgad and other types of tunings.

play music!

A few month ago, I decided that I wanted a Peterson Stroboclip HD in stead of just that cheap clip on tuner with a Kala logo that I had from my first ukes starter Kit.
I also bougth a Snark at the same time, just for comparison.
The strobe Thing about the Peterson takes some getting used to, and I usually end up using the Snark anyway, though it was way cheaper.

That being said, the Peterson is definately more precise.

Since I posted to the thread previously I have abandoned electronic tuners and mobile apps and have chosen a more organic approach and now I use my freaking ears!!!!

...done by matching the A string with an A-440hz tuning fork and then tune unisons and octaves and harmonics across the fretboard...works great now for a few months or so...

if in a noisy room, that's what the spare dirty sock in my case is for, i.e. to silence the person or thing making noise so I can hear and tune the instrument.

Digital tuners are so hipster now.

j/k LOL

Top Bottom