What tuner do you use?

I am new to ukulele, about 2.5 weeks, but not to guitar like instruments.
For tuning I use my Android Tablet or phone and a free application DaTuner.

I could maybe get some tuner attached to my uke, as i always need to unlock the android with pattern, gets a bit much if done many times daily as nylon strings do creep and uke needs constant retuning. But I like the accuracy of DaTuner.

I tune the first string about 2.5 cents below standard 440 Hz, Same goes to the 4th g string. These strings are the thinnest.
The middle strings I try to tune less thn but about 5 cents below the standard.

Why below? There is the nut and tension we cause to strings pressing down near it. Also my experience from my guitars. Depending of the uke those values could be different or if you want somewhat equal temperament in upper frets and in the end all depends of the instrument in case.

I got today Boss TU-01. This miniature clip-on tuner is chromatic. It has also Guitar, Bass and Ukulele modes. I prefer the default chromatic mode.

Will see how long it lasts. I compared it to DaTuner (ref. A4 set to 440Hz) phone microphone using app and both gave the same tuning within 5 cents. It is good to have a phone app as a backup.

Last edited:
So how many here are just using the tuner that came in a package with their first ukulele, compared with how many went through a long and detailed process to find exactly the best tuner? How many here just have a case of TAS?

So how many here are just using the tuner that came in a package with their first ukulele, compared with how many went through a long and detailed process to find exactly the best tuner? How many here just have a case of TAS?

A lot of trying different ones to find what suits me best and a little of TAS. I eventually settled on the Planet Waves NS and have them on most of my ukes now as I can just leave them on.

I have a lot of redundant tuners now though I am doing a ukulele "taster day" today, so they could prove useful.

Anybody remember "the good old days" when jamming and the cry would go up, "someone give me a G?"

Started using a Snark a few months back. So far so good
I was watching PBS a few nights back and saw a group called The Mavericks. They had 2 horns, a tenor sax and trumpet. The trumpeter had a Snark attached to his horn. Interested me as I'm also a trumpeter.
I had never heard of this group and really enjoyed their performance. They kind of reminded me of Roomful Of Blues when Duke Robilard fronted the band They were on a program called Bluegrass Underground. It's a 30 minute program, wished it had been longer.

I keep using a Snark even though they keep breaking. I don't know what is up with them. They just stop working. People tell me it must be low battery and I change the battery and it still doesn't turn back on. I also have some tuner apps on the phone and a cheap off brand that came with the cheap-uleles.

My pitch pipe and my A 440 fork.
Grandkids say........"That's cute grandpa. It doesn't even have batteries. You're smart grandpa."

Eno ET-33. It came in a package with my first ukulele, before I ever heard of snark or planet waves. It is still going strong.

Yes this is what i use, been solid no problems very cheap it also can tune different stringed instruments as well

I keep using a Snark even though they keep breaking. I don't know what is up with them. They just stop working. People tell me it must be low battery and I change the battery and it still doesn't turn back on. I also have some tuner apps on the phone and a cheap off brand that came with the cheap-uleles.

I've heard this before (Snark tuners breaking) I'm wondering just how and where they break? I have a number of family members that use them, have yet to see one break.:)

I use either the built-in tuner or Planet Waves Mini, simply because these can reside on the headstock and thus are always where I need them.
Using a removable tuner sooner or later results in the tuner being out of reach, at least for me. Loose things tend to get lost.....

I bought one of these a few days ago from a local music shop. I normally use a Snark, but wanted something more low profile to tuck into the small pocket on my soprano gig bag. I can't get used to the Korg. It seems to jump back and forth between too flat & too sharp and never lands on the solid green light. Also, the G looks almost the same as the C on the display. I have a couple of the Planet Waves Eclipse tuners on order from Amazon to try out.

Last edited:
Because the distributor we get violin bits and pieces from also sells Snarks I get them cheap. In fact, I carry them around with me and give them away if someone comes up short a tuner. One lives in my shop drawer and has been abused in all sorts of ways. It still works. One battery change I can remember. For the money, Snarks are my favorite, even if you pay full retail.

I also have an NS Micro sound hole tuner and it's really a very nice solution -- aside from putting it on and keeping it on. If I were a gigging musician this would be my first choice, and I'd do a little fiddling to make it a snug fit. Because I walk around with one of the carbon fiber hybrid ukes I'm just about done prototyping the MS Micro is a no-go. When someone asks about the uke I can seldom resist banging it on a tabletop or chair back to make the point about durability. Everyone jumps when I do this, every time. If I've been dumb enough to do this with the NS Micro in place, it jumps too, either onto the floor or into the uke. Oh bother. However, despite this sort of senseless abuse it still works.

Big thumbs up on the D'Addario Planet Waves Eclipse tuners. Mine arrive from Amazon today and I like them a lot. Compact, yet easy to read. They clip on and swivel for easy viewing. The tuner is very easy to tell whether you are flat, sharp, or locked in. The smaller size fits much better in my soprano gig bag zipper pocket, and it's less bulky to leave on the headstock while playing.

Reverb tuners for me. They do everything I want them to do, and are really sturdy and inexpensive. Had the blue and black Snark and gave them away to family starting to play the ukulele as they are easier for a newbie. Still have the red Snark, my favorite of that brand, but it seems to go through batteries faster than the Reverb ones.

Top Bottom