What tuner do you use?

Ive got the Musedo T-64C tuner that I bought U-Space Ukulele in Los Angeles that Jason Arimoto recommended. No buttons to press, turns on automatically when you lift the display or off when you lower the display, and it just works great. It works for GCEA and Bb whereas my old one was GCEA only. Highly recommended.

I've got two an O'ahu and a Korg PitchHawk U2. The Korg is better in that it has a bigger display, has different modes for different tunings and can be calibrated but the O'ahu is smaller and seems to work OK (they both agree on what's in tune.) I'm assuming the O'ahu which I got from HMS is a rebranded Chinese tuner of some sort.

-- Gary

Last edited:
I just bought a KLIQ UberTuner during Amazon Prime day and I really like it. Nice large bright display and very accurate. I don't know about the battery yet as I've only had it a few weeks. It's a bit expensive but worth it.

KLIQ UberTuner

I have one of these as well and like it a lot. Eight D'Addario Micros on my most commonly used ukes, a couple of Snark SN-2 Chromatic Tuners for Guitars and Ukes with non-standard tunings, and the KLIQ Uber I use a lot when switching strings out in particular. Big easy to read display, fast to settle, and accurate. The D'Addario Micros are just so dang convenient, batteries averaging over 6 months (four of them are newer and haven't needed a change yet.)

I have a freestanding Korg, didn't like the idea of clipping something to the uke. Playing by myself, does the job nicely.

How long have you had the Tetra-Technica tuner? Reviews on Amazon are rather mixed. Do you have the tuner version or the tuner/metronome?

I've had my Tetra-Technica since April. I have only had to charge it once. This is my favorite tuner now, although I'm still using the others as well, until they run out of battery. I like the display very much, as I said, it tells me how many cents I'm away from the note. It works great to check/fix intonation.

I'm not buying batteries any more.

I only have the tuner version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2OCQYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I have to admit that I have a certain modicum of reverence for those people who can naturally hear an "A", can tune their A string, and then can tune the other three strings to that A string. If I use a snark to get the A for me, I can do the rest...but I've not been able to do it from scratch.
I have a modicum of impatience with people who think that they can naturally hear an A and then tune their other strings to it and really can't. Especially when I have to wait ten minutes for said person to not get his ukulele in tune before we can get started. There are some people who can, but there are a lot more people who think the can, but can't. Not starting a fight, just still frustrated from last night.

I have a modicum of impatience with people who think that they can naturally hear an A and then tune their other strings to it and really can't. Especially when I have to wait ten minutes for said person to not get his ukulele in tune before we can get started. There are some people who can, but there are a lot more people who think the can, but can't. Not starting a fight, just still frustrated from last night.

Maybe in these cases it's more a matter of ego (or hubris), and admitting to others the inability of their own hearing perception to do it accurately.

YouTube is full of folks who think this way or believe that their tuner is lying to them, and after 10 seconds of listening to a player with a flat E string or sharp C string, I cannot close the browser tab fast enough, as it's line nails on a chalboard to me when the instrument is +/- 15 cents out of tune, yet the person yammers on, way out of tune...

If I am in a group setting, either everyone tunes electronically to some standard, hopefully A-440, otherwise I will just leave.

Maybe it's harsh or intolerant, but often I find the arrogance of not wanting to be in tune, and/or the willful ignorance of WHY it is important on part of other folks in the group, usually manifests in other personality deficits later on, and then the whole experience just becomes sour for all involved, even if I say NOTHING and try to live through the auditory torture.

OTOH, maybe it's just me and I've become a miserable, rotten, sociopathic person in my mid-life age...LOL

Tuning nuisances are maybe one of the best reasons for just playing for my own amazement. I tune, most of the time, but, if I just pick up a uke and play, I probably can't hear if the tuning is perfect anyway.

Every cloud has a silver lining . . . :eek:ld:

Maybe in these cases it's more a matter of ego (or hubris), and admitting to others the inability of their own hearing perception to do it accurately.

YouTube is full of folks who think this way or believe that their tuner is lying to them, and after 10 seconds of listening to a player with a flat E string or sharp C string, I cannot close the browser tab fast enough, as it's line nails on a chalboard to me when the instrument is +/- 15 cents out of tune, yet the person yammers on, way out of tune...

If I am in a group setting, either everyone tunes electronically to some standard, hopefully A-440, otherwise I will just leave.

Maybe it's harsh or intolerant, but often I find the arrogance of not wanting to be in tune, and/or the willful ignorance of WHY it is important on part of other folks in the group, usually manifests in other personality deficits later on, and then the whole experience just becomes sour for all involved, even if I say NOTHING and try to live through the auditory torture.

OTOH, maybe it's just me and I've become a miserable, rotten, sociopathic person in my mid-life age...LOL

I hear ya. When I lead the jam sessions, if I hear an outta tune uke, I'll stop, try to find it, and before the next song, help them tune it. Same in the beginner workshops. If people refuse to tune in, I'm not sure what I'd do, probably confiscate the damn uke, Booli. Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.

...Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.

It's kinda like someone just went to Taco Bell and ate $40 worth of bean burritos...

I mean the "sound : stink" thing

Is there a group jam song about methane gas?

I think that some people find a zen in the process of tuning. It is interesting how much effort that one can put into the ukulele that does not actually involve playing it.

Last edited:

It is certainly a place when "gnothi seauton" applies. I have to laugh imagining you and Booli here right now. My alcoholic neighbor is evidently tipsy and singing 80's power ballads. It would be bad form to attach a snark to him, but I would estimate his straining voice is two or three half-steps away from being in tune. Oh goodness, he just started singing some Goo-Goo Dolls ballad. I am signing off to go to my front porch where the street noise will protect me and let me practice some chords in peace.

It is certainly a place when "gnothi seauton" applies. I have to laugh imagining you and Booli here right now. My alcoholic neighbor is evidently tipsy and singing 80's power ballads. It would be bad form to attach a snark to him, but I would estimate his straining voice is two or three half-steps away from being in tune. Oh goodness, he just started singing some Goo-Goo Dolls ballad. I am signing off to go to my front porch where the street noise will protect me and let me practice some chords in peace.

ha ha - yes - side story:

When in college, in the dorm, was faced with a similar person who believed that they were to become the next Frank Sinatra, but was painfully tone deaf, and would practice all hours of day and night with a PA system in his room, much to the chagrin of everyone in earshot -

At the time, a committee-agreed-upon solution was to get a recording of Shepard Tones and play the recording on an endless loop via a 1,000 watt amp into a 15" subwoofer that was acoustically coupled to the wall shared with the singer's room (via hot glue)...this ran for about 72 hrs non-stop, and after stuff started falling off the hooks in his room and items rattling off his desk, he came to investigate. A group of us had a nice chat with him about use of the soundproof rooms offered in the school's music department...the singing never occurred in the dorm again, but that equipment was re-used for similar offenders later on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNzgsAE4F0

nowadays when I am exposed to offensive sound that I cannot ignore or remove myself from, I have a 60 minute recording of "brown noise" that I can listen to in headphones. Brown noise is a kind of 'static' that is similar to the sound of being in an airplane, that low-frequncy SSSHHHH sound, and is very effective in masking and blocking other sound from entering your brain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSaJXDsb3N8 (you may have to turn up your volume to hear it well)

I, for one, am not real adept at tuning one string against another. Or tuning to a pitch pipe. I sit there for a long time plucking away, and when I think that I might have it, I put my electric tuner on it and find out that I'm not even close. Perhaps a little more effort on my part would improve it, but alas, I'm just not into the art of tuning. I'm just in a hurry to play. But as long as we are on the subject, I wonder before the advent of the electric tuner, how many people just gave up playing stringed instruments because tuning was such a pain in the butt? I know that thirty years ago I tried playing my wife's guitar, and I just got frustrated with trying to get it in tune all of the time before I could even start playing it. And I had just put new strings on it, so that wasn't helping. I wonder, if there had been electric tuners readily available back then, would I be a guitar player today, instead of a ukulele player?

Last edited:
I, for one, am not real adept at tuning one string against another. Or tuning to a pitch pipe. I sit there for a long time plucking away, and when I think that I might have it, I put my electric tuner on it and find out that I'm not even close. Perhaps a little more effort on my part would improve it, but alas, I'm just not into the art of tuning. I'm just in a hurry to play. But as long as we are on the subject, I wonder before the advent of the electric tuner, how many people just gave up playing stringed instruments because tuning was such a pain in the butt? I know that thirty years ago I tried playing my wife's guitar, and I just got frustrated with trying to get it in tune all of the time before I could even start playing it. And I had just put new strings on it, so that wasn't helping. I wonder, if there had been electric tuners readily available back then, would I be a guitar player today, instead of a ukulele player?

Back in the early 70's we were taught to tune to the teacher's guitar's top string, and then tune the strings against each other. Even at home we were told to tune the top string to a piano (if we had one) and tune the strings to each other. In the long run, the guitars were commonly out of tune but in tune to the other strings. It sounded fine at home since I had far from perfect pitch, but in class it sounded horrible. The first five minutes of each semi-private lesson (3 students) was spent tuning before showing the practice results and learning something new. Then at home we'd slowly get out of tune. Rinse and repeat. At least I grew very adept at tuning a guitar (and eventually a ukulele) to itself.

The idea of actually using a tuner, actually being in tune, and even more so, using a capo or transposition to play along with a record, eigth track, or cassette was mind-boggling.

What tuner do you use?

Tinned,sustainable,line caught.......bugger.....wrong again Dad.

You say both of those like they are Bad Things...

I have to admit, Back In The Day tuning up and playing with others was slow and tortuous. Now, with the elecronic tuners, it is pretty damned quick.

And once one of us is in tune, if someone (usually a fiddle player) asks for a note (Can I have a G, Please?) one person usually starts playing it, then everyone else tunes to that person - and with the electronic s, we are all usually dead on.

Not always, but that's a different story...

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Tuners are tuners...You can stop worrying about the tuner and get on with the music.

Bill, I think you've made some valid points, but some of us like toys and gadgets and most tuners are cheap enough to own more than one.

As has been said before, if/when playing solo, you can just tune the uke to itself even if by ear your A string is flat and at 436hz or whatever, nobody can hear you and criticize you for not being on A-440hz and when you fret the second fret on the G string to tune relative, some folks lack the hearing perception to do something like that, and this may be a factor of age, nerve damage caused by health issues or other factors.

But in a group setting, for me, and maybe I'm just evil, I feel that there is no excuse for each person in the group to avoid tuning to a known good reference, as quickly as possible, whether it's an open mic night or an old-folks home or a charity event, and none of them are paid gigs, we as uke players owe it to each other to give a performance such that the audience lets go of the common (and flawed thinking) that a ukulele is just a plinky toy for hula music and Tiny Tim comedic imitations - but this is all just my IMHO and I respect yours, even if it differs...

You say both of those like they are Bad Things...

Thanks Kurt. Some folks I know might want to (incorrectly) paint me as the guy with sandals and knee-high black socks in Bermuda shorts shaking my fist in the air and yelling at the neighborhood kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!

So I try to be ever-mindful of not becoming evil or a sociopath. Hopefully I am succeeding, day by day. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom