Band sawn bowl ukulele

Titchtheclown

Reaction score
The traditionalists should avert their eyes now.
Just a crazy idea sparked by seeing a band sawn bowl instructable and thinking about how I could make a ukulele like that.
Pinus radiata body etc
Forrest red decking fretboard
Abalone fret markers

That's great. And if you mess up the build you can still salvage a nice bowl out of it...

I like the sound and looks of that uke!

Very innovative construction method too. :)

Thanks for sharing!

I like your thinking and kudos on the final result. Looks like it was a fun project.

Titch..Einstein once said "Imagination is greater than knowledge ".. it appears that you have this gift..or is it a curse. ;)

I like it. You always do think out of the box Titch. Literally. Always makes me feel a bit conventional like the old fogy who I am.

Thanks for sharing your build instructions/log.

I have learned some nice things and enjoy seeing how things are made, even if I am not a builder myself.

If you start with two different but equal sized bits of wood you can get two stripy ones.
20171114_084012.jpg
20171114_084143.jpg
20171109_224324.jpg
This one is a mix of pine and meranti. The second one will be a mix of meranti and pine. I also staggered the cuts to taper the shape a bit.

Last edited:
I live part of the year in Peru and we have an Andean instrument that is Ukulele size with ten strings - the charango. It is usually made with a bowl back. Some even use armadillo shells but they are hard to come by so wood is used by most. Some have called it the super ukulele!
ins_charstrip.jpg

Great build by the way - thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom