Song Help Request Adjusting for re-entrant Uke

JerryR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I received a lot of help on a previous thread, thanks to everyone who provided insight, and now I have the song ready for a Low G Uke.

Previous thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?128259-Need-help-with-complicated-Guitar-chords/

Low G version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1geuip8m6jkcxtc/38 He Will Make You Strong— Low G Uke.pdf?dl=0

Now I'm trying g to figure out how to adjust for a re-entrant Uke.

My minimal music theory knowledge says to move everything up until the lowest note, a G3, becomes a C4.

If this is correct, then I know how to do that via Guitar Pro. Then I believe I would need to adjust all the chords up the equivalent number of semi-tones as well.

If true, I do not know how to to that. I'm a little familiar with the circles of fifths, but only with the principal chords, not all the variants used in the song.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Now I'm trying g to figure out how to adjust for a re-entrant Uke.

My minimal music theory knowledge says to move everything up until the lowest note, a G3, becomes a C4.

I'm not sure I understand. There really should be no theory needed, nor transposing, simply take ALL of the G3 notes, and replace them with a G4 note and see how it sounds - if it's ok, then you are done.

If it's not ok, i.e., 'too many unison notes' or 'chords have intervals too close', then you might have to re-voice certain intervals (by using a different inversion of the chord), but I dont see a need for the circle of fifths nor theory because the difference between linear and re-entrant is ONLY the octave of the open G pitch on the 4th string and NOT anything to do with changing key.

Please let me know if this makes sense to you, and if not, I will try again. :)

Booli,

Yes, that makes sense. I'll play as suggested and see how it sounds.

In the piano version that G4 is the base sound, so that is why I thought it might sound better by keeping that note as the lowest in the song, hence the idea of adjusting to middle C.

Thanks for the input!

Booli,

Yes, that makes sense. I'll play as suggested and see how it sounds.

In the piano version that G4 is the base sound, so that is why I thought it might sound better by keeping that note as the lowest in the song, hence the idea of adjusting to middle C.

Thanks for the input!

ok great! Please let me know how it works out. :music: :)

I guess that I don't know what you are trying to do. Re-entrant is not linear and moving up a couple of octaves is not how you do it. It appears to me that your brain is stuck in linear mode. There are techniques and methods that you can incorporate into your playing to take advantage of the unique sound of the re-entrant tuning. To me that is the beauty of it. You have to be creative with it. But the first step is to quit thinking linearly and to go out and discover how to use the re-entrant tuning to make your playing unique.

Looking at the tab, I see that it has tabs for the melody, and also some chords listed - but those are not in the tab.

Are you planning to play the chords, the melody or both?

If you just play the chords, and either leave out the melody or play in a duo with someone who plays it on a low G uke while you strum a reentrant uke, there is no need to transpose anything.

But if you want to play the melody line on a reentrant uke, you will of course need to transpose it.
Moving one note an octave up is fine in a chord, but will sound wrong in a melody.

I see that the deepest note is an a (4th string 2nd fret) the highest a d (1st string 5th fret). To play it on a reentrant it can't go lower than c, so you would need to transpose everything up at least 3 half steps. That way for the lowest note, play the 3rd string open, for the highest you need to move up to the 8th fret on the first string.

Last edited:
Top Bottom