Thread: How do you practice?

Default How do you practice?

I used to take my bass (& amp) out & just play along to CDs for fun. However, since joining a uke group I now need to practice specific songs. I've always disliked playing bass alone, so I practice with my classical guitar. Since I normally fingerpick, I play whatever bass lines I can with my thumb & the remainder of chords with my fingers. Seems to work; I now only take my bass out when I'm playing with others.

Does anyone else do this?

I practice by playing with a small group. That's how I started, it's hard to practice home, alone.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

I am the opposite of UkerDanno. I practice alone. I do play in a ukulele choir, but I view that time in our weekly sessions as observing what to focus upon rather than true practicing.

Used to be very good at practicing every day, as in I would concentrate on learning chords and techniques. Now, I practice learning new songs for the first part of a practice session and reward myself by playing then what I feel like playing, often changing ukes to get a different sound. I might go a few days without playing, which was very rare for the first few years.

When I first started, I always played in one particular chair. Now, it is on the bed when in the house, and on an outdoor lawn chair when outside.
    Last edited by actadh; 07-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

UkerDanno & Laura have very different ways; am still curious about what others do.

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    UkerDanno & Laura have very different ways; am still curious about what others do.
    I think Laura's talking about playing ukulele, not bass. I play and "practice" my uke at home all the time, but it's hard to practice bass home alone unless you have recordings or someone or something to play along with, IMHO.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

My practice regime is not as strict and structured as it should be for best progress. My Uke sits by my chair and when I get a quiet moment, at any time of day, I pick it up and play a song or two - might even sing along as well. I try to work through the list of songs that my Uke Club uses and also work on any of those that were difficult or even just tricky at our last meeting. If any new songs are emailed out then I make sure that I've played then through at home before going to the Uke Club.

At some point I plan on getting a copy of Uke 365 and working through it. I'd like to do something with finger picking too, when I find something to get me started and then fed with suitable new pieces - suggestions welcomed.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 09-13-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Thread Information