Barre for a G chord

cohenja

Reaction score
Let me preface this question with the fact I've only been playing for three or four months.

I saw a YouTube video where the G chord was barred on the 2nd fret across the C,E and A strings and the E string fretted on the 3rd fret. I don't know why I didn't think to play it like that as it is very easy to do.

Is there a technical reason not to play it that way? I realize that there are many ways to play the same thing, but I just wondered if more experienced players do this but when they teach they use the three finger fretted method in order to not confuse beginners?

The simple answer to your question is beginners usually find barr chords difficult. I know some people that have been playing for a year or more and can't play barr chord.

Barring it the way you describe also frees up the other fingers to play other notes up the neck. You'll be able to reach much farther and still play the chord.

That's basically the F shape moved up two frets. Moveable everywhere.

Let me preface this question with the fact I've only been playing for three or four months.

I saw a YouTube video where the G chord was barred on the 2nd fret across the C,E and A strings and the E string fretted on the 3rd fret. I don't know why I didn't think to play it like that as it is very easy to do.

Is there a technical reason not to play it that way? I realize that there are many ways to play the same thing, but I just wondered if more experienced players do this but when they teach they use the three finger fretted method in order to not confuse beginners?

I'm not an expert (just been playing a couple of years or so and learning all the time) but I find that there can often be more than one way to achieve the same thing and that some things work better for some folks than others.

In my limited experience beginners typically find 'Barre Chords' to be difficult if not impossible to do effectively, I've found that mine have improved with practice, observation (part of which is to individually check that each string rings) and a well set up Uke. I suspect that, like a lot of other things, it's easy when you know how and a puzzle of imperfect results until then. I used to find the Bb chord impossible but four out of five times it's fine for me now, practice and looking at what's happening (or not) helps. I've a good idea of what I'm not always doing correctly and barre chords are still work in progress for me - some things in Uke playing take a lot of time to get consistently right.

Early on in learning I too noticed that the G chord could be played with just two fingers but I find that (for me now) it's normally quicker and more reliable to use three. Of course YMMV but I suggest that you too will find it better to keep things simple and reliable by using the 'standard' three fingers for now.

I'd leave the moveable F chord and barre (another way to play a G chord, and higher ones up the neck) alone for now too. To my mind there's no point learning to run before you can walk so the barre chords should be left until you're no longer a beginner.

Last edited:
Barring it the way you describe also frees up the other fingers to play other notes up the neck. You'll be able to reach much farther and still play the chord.

Also you can move up and bar the third fret and use an A formation instead of the F formation, and you have a C. Move that up two frets to he fifth, and you have a D. You have the I-IV-V progression in the key of G right there. If you didn't already know that. A lot of people do that. Change the A formation to an A7 formation on the IV and the V and you have a twelve bar blues progression that you can just slide up and down between that G, C7, and D7.

Rit on. Barre chords open up a whole new world. Learn them as soon as you can.

for me, the only consideration is transitioning. If you use the 3-finger technique then you can easily attain the Gsus2, the Gsus4, or the G6 chord and even the Eminor chord by moving one finger. If you're not needing to do those things, then the barre chord serves your purpose.

Sometimes it's easier to get into the (three string) barred G out of an F chord, or a Bb (especially if you barre three strings for the Bb instead of just two).

Three-finger G using the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers is easy to get to or from E minor.

Three-finger G using the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers is easy to get to or from G7 or E7.

I use all three, depending on context (and panic level...)

Another thing you can do while you are still learning is to take each chord that you have learned to finger that use three fingers or less, and practice playing them using your middle, ring, and pinky fingers instead of index, middle and ring fingers.
If your index finger is free, at any time you may just move up the fingerboard and make a Barre.
This also helps with those I IV V transitions and down the road in your ukulele journey it will be a huge advantage.
Have fun!

Another thing you can do while you are still learning is to take each chord that you have learned to finger that use three fingers or less, and practice playing them using your middle, ring, and pinky fingers instead of index, middle and ring fingers.
If your index finger is free, at any time you may just move up the fingerboard and make a Barre.
This also helps with those I IV V transitions and down the road in your ukulele journey it will be a huge advantage.
Have fun!

That is great advice. I wish I had started that way. I am now trying this method, but it is difficult for me to break old habits. It is so much easier to play the barred minors and 7ths if you practice this method. Enjoy

It's all about context. As you progress, you will find it is easy to play this shape under some circumstances and difficult under others. Alternate finger positions and chord shapes are not just about "easy" or "difficult". They are primarily tools you will need to get the results you want.

Thank you all...I have many months of new things to practice!

Another consideration to mention in the interest of full analysis, it is good to have the two-fingered g chord in your toolbox because of playing with a slide. I have tried playing the slide with my pinky and it doesn't sound as good; the control isn't as subtle with that little finger. So, with the slide on the ring finger, that leaves only two fingers for chords...hence the need for the barre chord when playing with an open tuning

The 4232 You are talking about, the so called movable F shape.
That shape is fine for Ab or F#, but I would not use it for G except in some special cases where the previous chord was also a barre.

Reason being that I don't have a strap support but my uke normally rests between the index finger and thumb (don't remember the english word) and I really can't barre in that. For barre I have to take a sort of classical guitar hold where thumb is supporting the barre behind the neck.

Hi, cohenja!

Ukulele's G is same shape as D on guitar.

I have never think barre chord is easier than three fingers on guitar. If the string tension is as high as tenor ukulele or guitar, three finger chord may be easier than barre. And barre may be easier than three finger chord on soprano.

Last edited:
Top Bottom