Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barre for a G chord

Sometimes it's easier to get into the (three string) barred G out of an F chord, or a Bb (especially if you barre three strings for the Bb instead of just two).

Three-finger G using the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers is easy to get to or from E minor.

Three-finger G using the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers is easy to get to or from G7 or E7.

I use all three, depending on context (and panic level...)
    Doctroid (Rich Holmes)
    Syracuse, NY
    Caramel acacia sopranino / Kala lacewood soprano / Makala Dolphin (metallic blue) soprano / Grizzly soprano /
    Epiphone Les Paul concert / Islander mahogany tenor / Lanikai mahogany baritone
    Twitter | Google+ | Blog/web site | Salt City Ukulele

Another thing you can do while you are still learning is to take each chord that you have learned to finger that use three fingers or less, and practice playing them using your middle, ring, and pinky fingers instead of index, middle and ring fingers.
    If your index finger is free, at any time you may just move up the fingerboard and make a Barre.
    This also helps with those I IV V transitions and down the road in your ukulele journey it will be a huge advantage.
    Have fun!
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Purple Kamoa GC-700, Kala Concert
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    Another thing you can do while you are still learning is to take each chord that you have learned to finger that use three fingers or less, and practice playing them using your middle, ring, and pinky fingers instead of index, middle and ring fingers.
    If your index finger is free, at any time you may just move up the fingerboard and make a Barre.
    This also helps with those I IV V transitions and down the road in your ukulele journey it will be a huge advantage.
    Have fun!
    That is great advice. I wish I had started that way. I am now trying this method, but it is difficult for me to break old habits. It is so much easier to play the barred minors and 7ths if you practice this method. Enjoy
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    KoAloha KTM-00 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/2014
    Kala KA-SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6/21/2016
    Koaloha KCM-00 Concert Bb Linear Tuning 4/20/2017

It's all about context. As you progress, you will find it is easy to play this shape under some circumstances and difficult under others. Alternate finger positions and chord shapes are not just about "easy" or "difficult". They are primarily tools you will need to get the results you want.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thank you all...I have many months of new things to practice!

Another consideration to mention in the interest of full analysis, it is good to have the two-fingered g chord in your toolbox because of playing with a slide. I have tried playing the slide with my pinky and it doesn't sound as good; the control isn't as subtle with that little finger. So, with the slide on the ring finger, that leaves only two fingers for chords...hence the need for the barre chord when playing with an open tuning

The 4232 You are talking about, the so called movable F shape.
    That shape is fine for Ab or F#, but I would not use it for G except in some special cases where the previous chord was also a barre.

Reason being that I don't have a strap support but my uke normally rests between the index finger and thumb (don't remember the english word) and I really can't barre in that. For barre I have to take a sort of classical guitar hold where thumb is supporting the barre behind the neck.

Hi, cohenja!

Ukulele's G is same shape as D on guitar.

I have never think barre chord is easier than three fingers on guitar. If the string tension is as high as tenor ukulele or guitar, three finger chord may be easier than barre. And barre may be easier than three finger chord on soprano.
    Last edited by zztush; 08-23-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Martin 5K, Martin D-18

Thread Information