NUD: Emil Bader (S&J Crafts) Milo Concert Pineapple

Id take it to a luthier to get a full set up and crown the frets

I agree.

A luthier or guitar/uke repair expert, with experience and the right tools should be able to remedy a tall fret issue with ease and in a short time.

It's sitting at the shop right now. Fingers crossed. With a bit of luck we can get that issue cleared up and then I can start to play it!

And I got the uke back from the shop and while they took the fret down a bit, it's not enough and they haven't fixed the problem. My wife picked it up, so I wasn't able to check it till it got home, but I'm livid! Now I have to go back in again, and I just don't have time!

Robin,
I would strongly recommend you take it to Paul Mineur in North Hobart.

Robin,
I would strongly recommend you take it to Paul Mineur in North Hobart.

Should have done that to begin with. It was Modern Musician that worked on it. However, having talked to MM, they have talked me through what it needs to properly fix it, and said they would deduct the cost of work done up to this point from any future repairs, so I will probably take it back to them. I can't afford this :(

Robin - I am deeply concerned about the incomplete 'fix' and empathize with your frustration.

I truly hope that it can be resolved the second time around.

If it were me, I'd want to observe the work being done, and to make sure it was being both expedited in their work cue, as well as for them to realize that failure to completely resolve the problem is unacceptable, as well as the fact that any damage done is their responsibility, especially since this is a one-of-a-kind custom ukulele from Hawaii. I'm all for giving second chances, because we are all human, but if they handed it back to me scratched up or still not fixed, I'd have real trouble remaining quiet and civilzed.

I dont know about the laws in AUS, but in the USA if you pay for work via credit card, and the work is done wrong, poorly or damage is inflicted by the repairman, you can do a chargeback, which gets your money refunded as well as penalizes the merchant with fees, which if they are incompetent, they deserve.

I have always been suspect of buying expensive or custom things sight-unseen, and maybe this is something that should have been seen and resolved during inspection by the luthier before it was sent to you.

Whatever the end result, I would make sure that the luthier is aware of the ongoing saga of disappointment - maybe he will reimburse you for the work you are having done locally?

I dont know anything about the luthier, but if I was creating something such as a musical instrument, you bet I'd go over it with a fine-tooth comb, twice at least before it got packed and shipped...

Also, what is the likelyhood of the raised fret happening as a result of climate change during transport, or due to a difference in relative humidity from where the uke was built to the relative humidity at your house?

Righteous indignation, hell yes, but I intend to ruffle no feathers nor offend, I am just concerned is all, so please dont think bad of me. I am only trying to help. :)

Robin - I am deeply concerned about the incomplete 'fix' and empathize with your frustration.

I truly hope that it can be resolved the second time around.

If it were me, I'd want to observe the work being done, and to make sure it was being both expedited in their work cue, as well as for them to realize that failure to completely resolve the problem is unacceptable, as well as the fact that any damage done is their responsibility, especially since this is a one-of-a-kind custom ukulele from Hawaii. I'm all for giving second chances, because we are all human, but if they handed it back to me scratched up or still not fixed, I'd have real trouble remaining quiet and civilzed.

I dont know about the laws in AUS, but in the USA if you pay for work via credit card, and the work is done wrong, poorly or damage is inflicted by the repairman, you can do a chargeback, which gets your money refunded as well as penalizes the merchant with fees, which if they are incompetent, they deserve.

I have always been suspect of buying expensive or custom things sight-unseen, and maybe this is something that should have been seen and resolved during inspection by the luthier before it was sent to you.

Whatever the end result, I would make sure that the luthier is aware of the ongoing saga of disappointment - maybe he will reimburse you for the work you are having done locally?

I dont know anything about the luthier, but if I was creating something such as a musical instrument, you bet I'd go over it with a fine-tooth comb, twice at least before it got packed and shipped...

Also, what is the likelyhood of the raised fret happening as a result of climate change during transport, or due to a difference in relative humidity from where the uke was built to the relative humidity at your house?

Righteous indignation, hell yes, but I intend to ruffle no feathers nor offend, I am just concerned is all, so please dont think bad of me. I am only trying to help. :)

There are a few things to think about here

Firstly, having spoken to the guy who worked on it, it looks like he took my desire to not spend too much to heart and only worked on the immediate issue. He said that he would have to work on all the frets if he was going to do a proper job of it because they are all a bit uneven. He said that he's happy to deduct the cost of the initial work if I go ahead with this. It hasn't been damaged at all, and the issue is that they didn't want to go too far when I was looking to save a bit of money. You can also get a chargeback here, but I don't think this issue warrants that. It looks like we'll be able to resolve it. It will just require quite a bit more work on the fretboard.

I knew that I was taking a risk buying this sight unseen and if I'd been able to inspect it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Oh well. I had heard good things about this luthier from a few different sources, and IF we manage to get these issues sorted, I actually think I'll have a really good instrument. It's just really frustrating. Like I was saying over PM, it really does remind me of my old Alfa Romeo...

I'm really not sure whether to approach the luthier. I didn't buy it directly from him, but through a vendor. However, I have been in contact with him before, and I found it quite difficult to communicate with him. I don't think English is his first language, and we had quite a bit of difficulty understanding each other. Because of that, I'm not sure that contacting him would be helpful. It would probably just create more confusion and distress for both of us.

I honestly have no idea about whether the raised fret could be a humidity issue. We have humidity of between 50% and 70% here, so I don't think the humidity at this end would be the problem. Who knows what it was exposed to during transport, but it was so thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap that I don't think it could have done too much damage. I'm starting to wonder whether oiling the fretboard caused problems though. It looked very very dry when I got it. It seems plausible that soaking up the oil might have pushed out the fret.

There are a few things to think about here

Firstly, having spoken to the guy who worked on it, it looks like he took my desire to not spend too much to heart and only worked on the immediate issue. He said that he would have to work on all the frets if he was going to do a proper job of it because they are all a bit uneven. He said that he's happy to deduct the cost of the initial work if I go ahead with this. It hasn't been damaged at all, and the issue is that they didn't want to go too far when I was looking to save a bit of money. You can also get a chargeback here, but I don't think this issue warrants that. It looks like we'll be able to resolve it. It will just require quite a bit more work on the fretboard.

I knew that I was taking a risk buying this sight unseen and if I'd been able to inspect it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Oh well. I had heard good things about this luthier from a few different sources, and IF we manage to get these issues sorted, I actually think I'll have a really good instrument. It's just really frustrating. Like I was saying over PM, it really does remind me of my old Alfa Romeo...

I'm really not sure whether to approach the luthier. I didn't buy it directly from him, but through a vendor. However, I have been in contact with him before, and I found it quite difficult to communicate with him. I don't think English is his first language, and we had quite a bit of difficulty understanding each other. Because of that, I'm not sure that contacting him would be helpful. It would probably just create more confusion and distress for both of us.

I honestly have no idea about whether the raised fret could be a humidity issue. We have humidity of between 50% and 70% here, so I don't think the humidity at this end would be the problem. Who knows what it was exposed to during transport, but it was so thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap that I don't think it could have done too much damage. I'm starting to wonder whether oiling the fretboard caused problems though. It looked very very dry when I got it. It seems plausible that soaking up the oil might have pushed out the fret.

Ok. No worries brother!

All you said above makes good sense to me. Sorry if I overstepped in my thinking out loud.

I get upset when I see bad things happen to good people.

It will be a glorious day when you can play it soon and put these issues into the rear-view, and focus back into the music.

Ok. No worries brother!

All you said above makes good sense to me. Sorry if I overstepped in my thinking out loud.

I get upset when I see bad things happen to good people.

It will be a glorious day when you can play it soon and put these issues into the rear-view, and focus back into the music.

I've let the vendor know that there is an issue. I haven't made any demands, but they can talk with the luthier, and who knows what they'll decide to do about it (if anything).

Well the music shop decided not to charge me for any extra work, which was extremely generous considering not only involved fret leveling, but also building up the nut slot for the A string. Fingers crossed that it all works now. It's been really stressful, but in the end, it may have all been worth it. My advice to any prospective buyers now that I've been through this is to be prepared for stress, frustration, and extra costs, but in the end, you might just end up with a nice-sounding instrument.

Well, after about a week I started to notice fret buzz on a different fret. I took it to a luthier named Paul Mineur on the recommendation of Mountain Goat and others. He said "it is so poorly made that I don't want to touch it. I could spend hours on it, and it would just develop more problems." So there's my answer. It's a wall hanger (although I don't really feel like displaying it, so I suppose it's very expensive firewood). I'm a bit pissed off.

Congratulations, nonetheless, it's beautiful. It sure reminds me of how my Cocobolo Ukulele looks, with that sapwood stripe down the middle. I have a wallhanger too, so I sympathize with you.

what about just getting Paul to make a new nut? (and adjust the saddle accordingly)
at least to make the instrument playable?

Top Bottom