Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: maximum baritone uke scale length

Default maximum baritone uke scale length

stewmac says baritone ukes can have a scale length of 20-24 inches, but alot of other sites, and indeed real life ukes and listings, tend to say/be more like 19-20 inches

how long of a scale length could you have, and still call the instrument a baritone uke?

Well if it is a longer scale than normal, 19~20", you could get away with calling it a 'long neck' baritone.

I think it may actually come down to construction, ukes are lightly constructed, (with generally less tension in the strings than a guitar, from what I can tell).
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    stewmac says baritone ukes can have a scale length of 20-24 inches, but alot of other sites, and indeed real life ukes and listings, tend to say/be more like 19-20 inches

how long of a scale length could you have, and still call the instrument a baritone uke?
    I am by no means an authority on these matters, but the following is what I have observed:

13"-14".........soprano uke
    14.75"-16"....concert uke
    17"-19".........tenor uke
    19"-21.5"......baritone uke
    22"-23".........tenor guitar
    24"................7/8 size 'short scale' guitar
    24.75"...........'Les Paul' scale length standard
    25.5"..............Strat, Tele, classical guitar scale lengths standard

I know of a few others in this range, like Mandola, Irish Tenor Banjo, Octave Mandolin, but these are maybe outside the realm of what you are looking for, no?

Maybe this wiki page is helpful?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_...g_instruments)

It seems most commercially made baritones have a scale length of 19" - 21-1/2" as Booli pointed out. LfdM is a custom builder who makes his baritones 22-1/4", that is the longest I am aware of at the moment
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

thanks guys! my friend who just made me a fab 2 string cigar box geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetar says she'll make me a uke too, i was wondering how long of a scale i could have and still call it a baritone uke and be able to take it to the seasons! i suspect i might use the following get-out-of-jail-free card, and call whatever it turns out to be...

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    a 'long neck' baritone.
    Last edited by bird's eye view of my ukelele; 07-21-2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: can't type

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    thanks guys! my friend who just made me a fab 2 string cigar box geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetar says she'll make me a uke too, i was wondering how long of a scale i could have and still call it a baritone uke and be able to take it to the seasons! i suspect i might use the following get-out-of-jail-free card, and call whatever it turns out to be...
    YES!

Maybe PART of what makes it an ukulele or not is the TUNING and the music played on it, no?

I think if you tune it like a uke, it is a uke.

OTOH...

I have several ukes that were made and sold as ukes that I have in 5ths tunings, GDAE on a soprano, like a mandolin, and CGDA on a tenor, like a mandola or 'tenor guitar', what should they be called now?

They are NOT tuned GCEA nor gCEA, but the GDAE soprano is using the Aquila 30-U strings specially made for soprano ukes in this tuning, and I am using the D'Addario EJ99-TLG strings for CGDA, with the #3 & #4 strings from the set switched, which gives me a re-entrant 5ths tuning, and I just have the E string tuned only up to a D, thus C4-G3-D4-A4...

I will be 'calling' them 'ukes in fifths tunings' but the die-hard purists from either the mando or uke magisteria will likely call this blasphemy, but it matters not to me, for I make MUSIC, and that is what I care about.

So, BEV, I'd called it whatever you like and play whatever you like...and if worried that it can be used for Seasons - maybe it's time to learn multi-tracking so you can pull out one of your kewl-and-funky sopranos and have a duet with yourself and your new-to-be-built goodness from your CBG-making friend?

May I suggest that your own happiness should outweigh other concerns?

The Pono Nui has a 23" scale length. I haven't heard anyone comment that it is not a baritone.
    Main players:

Soprano: Laughlin 2K | Maui Music Deluxe Mango

Concert: Collings UC2 | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple | Blackbird Clara

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    May I suggest that your own happiness should outweigh other concerns?
    Definately! If I ever get any good on my harmonicas, it is likely to 'feature' in a future Season along with any of my ukes.
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

thank you for the new posts!

that is a good point about the pono nui

and of course when the bari uke first came out, the idea was for something easier to play than guitar, for kids and lovely ladies with small hands, so 4 rather than 6 strings is key, i think that is a bigger factor even than reduced scale length, plus the smaller body makes the instrument so much easier to handle, i think we can safely say a cigar box will cover that and then some!

and thank you booli, for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by WCBarnes View Post
    The Pono Nui has a 23" scale length. I haven't heard anyone comment that it is not a baritone.
    I completely forgot about the Pono Nui. I consider it more of a nylon string tenor guitar because of the body size but most refer to it as a ukulele. I know those that own them really like them
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information