Fluke Uke Bridge Gluing splintered top

Jtrenalone

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I had a fluke ukulele for many years and the bridge finally came loose. Unfortunately I attempted to reglue it and it didn't take. So I had to pull it back off again and subsequently splintered a portion of the top where the bridge glitches on. (See attached photograph)

I want to glue it back on properly with clamps etc., but now that there are splinters in gaps On the top, I'm wondering is there something I can use to fill that area that would bond to the wood before I glue the bridge down so I get a good bond. Or is there a different kind of glue I can use so that it holds.

I am hoping that the top isn't damaged beyond repair, but any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Joel

IMG_0389.jpg

Hi Jtrenalone - I would send this to the kind folks at Magic Fluke Co. and see what they say. If you call their # they'll answer. They're actual real people (which is always cool). (413) 229-8536

Greetings all,
I had a fluke ukulele for many years and the bridge finally came loose. Unfortunately I attempted to reglue it and it didn't take. So I had to pull it back off again and subsequently splintered a portion of the top where the bridge glitches on. (See attached photograph)

I want to glue it back on properly with clamps etc., but now that there are splinters in gaps On the top, I'm wondering is there something I can use to fill that area that would bond to the wood before I glue the bridge down so I get a good bond. Or is there a different kind of glue I can use so that it holds.

I am hoping that the top isn't damaged beyond repair, but any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Joel

View attachment 101659

Hi Jtrenalone - I would send this to the kind folks at Magic Fluke Co. and see what they say. If you call their # they'll answer. They're actual real people (which is always cool). (413) 229-8536

I agree, and am surprised you did not contact Magic Fluke when this first happened, at least for advice on how to repair yourself.

I'm all for DIY, but I myself would have called first.

As far as glue recommendations, Magic Fluke can tell you what they use, especially if your bridge is the plastic one and not the wood one.

Using wood glue will not adhere plastic to wood, and using superglue, krazy glue (aka CA or cyanoacrylate glue) is not recommended however, if you have a wood bridge, most luthiers would recommend Titebond or Titebond II, which is available in lots of places.

I bought mine from Amazon, but StewMac also has it (for double the price + shipping).

Plus, if it isn't repairable, the nice people at MagicFluke can put another soundboard on your instrument for you.

Phyllis and Dale are just terrific people, and really stand by their products.

-Kurt​

Thanks so much,
I just spoke to Dale and explained my situation and he will repair at no cost...great service! I imagined since he Uke was pushing 15 years it would be an expensive fix,
Thanks again,
Joel

Thanks so much,
I just spoke to Dale and explained my situation and he will repair at no cost...great service! I imagined since he Uke was pushing 15 years it would be an expensive fix,
Thanks again,
Joel

This is GREAT news!

Please report back after your receive your repaired Fluke to let us know everything went ok. :)

Thanks so much,
Thanks again,
Joel

Wow that's super generous of them! Great people up there

Great story. I'm happy for your most perfect solution.
I hope this will be informative to others, in two respects.

First, gluing a bridge is not simply gluing a bridge. (Watch some videos and you'll see) The results of a substandard repair are always far worse than the original problem. It's always best to have it done professionally.

Second, buy high quality instruments from reputable builders and you will have more than a fine instrument. You'll have resources.

In addition, The Magic Fluke company is and has always been among the very best. (That makes three)

Follow up:
Received my uke back. It turns out the top needed to be replaced also, still only $35. Great service. And I changed colors from green to yellow. :)

Top Bottom