Hamano H-100 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Maybe that sticky finish is so you wont need a strap , just stick it on your shirt . :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Maybe that sticky finish is so you wont need a strap , just stick it on your shirt . :biglaugh:

Ha haaa

Stop press coming soon. Been rubbing the finish back with micro mesh pads - seems to be shining up nicely and not sticky underneath.

Baz - thanks for another great review!

I got a cheapo 'Melokia' brand soprano a few yrs ago ($35) that has that same kind of chestnut brown 'stain' kind of finish, and it is the same kind of stuff that is on the cheapo Rogue ukes, and I found that it comes off easily, revealing bare wood and no sanding required, if you used a wad of cotton-balls soaked in acetone (nail polish remover) as per a tip from Sven over in the Luthier's area of UU...

Be warned though that if you use ACETONE, you need to to this OUTSIDE and at the very least with a painters mask, since the acetone fumes are toxic and will simply knock you out if doing this in your basement, as well as damage your lungs due to their caustic nature. Also, wear stronger rubber gloves, as the acetone can leech into your system from your skin, and also cause the skin on your hands to peel.

The problems did not happen to me since I had worn protective gear, but if I had to sand the thing down, I would have just thrown it out and bought something with a nicer finish, as the sound of the Melokia, while serviceable was not anything really worth writing home about.

After the experience with the Rogue, I decided to leave the Melokia as-is, and now have it strung with the Aquila 30-U strings made for GDAE fifths tuning, and for this purpose it is fine, but I would not want this uke as a daily player...and may replace it with an Ohana SK-14 once I get some funds together.

The SK-14 I would also string and tune in fifths, which is very chimey and bright due to the highest pitch string being tuned to an E5 note....

I have also given thought to doing a video of the immolation of the Melokia uke to anoint our fire-pit, similar to that video you put up a few weeks ago, of that totally-dreck uke...

BONFIRES AWAY! LOL.

I think there need to be more viking funerals of ukulele shaped objects that are unfit for purpose... Anyway - the Hamano is not one of those. Shining quite nicely now! - Could not feel or look more different. Strung now with martin strings - sound superb!

_DSC0746.jpg
_DSC0747.jpg

I think there need to be more viking funerals of ukulele shaped objects that are unfit for purpose... Anyway - the Hamano is not one of those. Shining quite nicely now! - Could not feel or look more different. Strung now with martin strings - sound superb!

View attachment 101708
View attachment 101709

WOW so shiny now! You got that just with micro mesh? Seems like you have the Midas Touch there. Can you tell me what brand and model of micro mesh you used as that is quite impressive compared to how it looks in the photos in the review...

Micro Mesh is the brand - just their standard cushioned pads (though you can buy it in plain sheets too). Started at 1500 grit and worked through 9 more levels up to 12,000 grit.

To be honest, the photo is extremely flattering as there are a lot of swirl marks in it and it's a bit uneven on the top - but I'm no luthier and I just wanted to merely get rid of the gunk. With more time and care i am sure I could have got a mirror. The pads were recommended by a UK luthier I know.

I grabbed them on ebay for a couple of quid each

Micro Mesh is the brand - just their standard cushioned pads (though you can buy it in plain sheets too). Started at 1500 grit and worked through 9 more levels up to 12,000 grit.

To be honest, the photo is extremely flattering as there are a lot of swirl marks in it and it's a bit uneven on the top - but I'm no luthier and I just wanted to merely get rid of the gunk. With more time and care i am sure I could have got a mirror. The pads were recommended by a UK luthier I know.

I grabbed them on ebay for a couple of quid each

Ok. I will look for them and thanks so much for the info. :)

BTW - do you think these pads could be used to clean up some tiny bubbling on a matte finish? They are like little bumps on one of my ukes. They are not visible, but if you run your fingertip over it, the bumps feel like tiny Braille marks in one spot...

I reply with a huge caveat - i am NOT A luthier!

The advice I took was - if the finish is already flat, that i could go straight to the pads, but if it was uneven it might be better to flatten the finish with some 1200 grit silicon carbide paper first, run over the instrument wet. Mine didnt have any ripples or bubbles, so I went straight to micro mesh, but wonder if you first need the 1200 paper.

The other thing to bear in mind - mine was not a touch up as I was doing the WHOLE thing. Not sure how you go about just cleaning one area - you might need to do the whole top.

I reply with a huge caveat - i am NOT A luthier!

The advice I took was - if the finish is already flat, that i could go straight to the pads, but if it was uneven it might be better to flatten the finish with some 1200 grit silicon carbide paper first, run over the instrument wet. Mine didnt have any ripples or bubbles, so I went straight to micro mesh, but wonder if you first need the 1200 paper.

The other thing to bear in mind - mine was not a touch up as I was doing the WHOLE thing. Not sure how you go about just cleaning one area - you might need to do the whole top.

Baz, thanks for the reply - of course I would be proceeding at my own risk and would indemnify you, or anyone else who had kindly offered helpful advice.

Right now, it's just kind of a 'thought experiment' on what is 'possible' and since the bumps have no effect on the sound, I will probably just leave it alone. It does not bother me, but I know the bumps are there.

Also, I would like to apologize for taking your review thread so far adrift - once again, thank you for your comments and your patience with me. :)

Wow, now that looks good - think I might get hold of these pads and have a go at mine. I have cleaned up the finish - but it's no way as good as that! :bowdown:

Interesting that the bad finish on these Hamano's is actually a 'thing' - had loads of messages from others saying the same today!

Top Bottom