Season 284 Time to sing along

I hope this is the kind of thing you were looking for, Geoff, because it's the longest thing I've ever done and it was almost like work. A bunch of first stanzas and choruses for some gospel songs, all of which I have sung (one at a time) at the nursing home, except for "Sing to Me of Heaven," which I haven't done there yet, and the residents there sing along to all of these. Almost all in G, except for one song that I had to drop to F to hit the high note, and "dramatic" key changes for the ending. Sorry about the length, everyone, but at least now I'm one-third of the way to my 30 minutes!

Lyrics included for singing along, if you want. All the chords are pretty simple.

Video recorded with my phone, audio recorded with Goldwave and my Blue Snowball mic on the "room" setting.

I learned something by doing this. Next time I should make a list of first lines instead of a list of song titles. I had to cheat and look at the lyrics a couple of times because I couldn't remember the first lines.

I tweaked and changed it some, but this is a version of a train song medley Boxcar Willie did on a regular basis. I used to hear him sing it on the Grand Ole Opry, and it always got a great response, and I always liked hearing it. He was such a crowd pleaser anyways, but I always noticed people were singing and clapping along during this. If I ever got brave enough to attempt a nursing home gig, or something of that ilk, this would probably be a good medley to do. This was my third take on this, not close to perfect I know, but I kept this one.

I think nursing homes are probably among the easiest audiences you will ever encounter. The residents are so grateful for something to break up the monotony that they love just about anything you do. And I can promise you that at the nursing home where I play, with the kinds of songs you do, you would be an immediate and big star.

Well I enjoyed the train theme medley RD.
So here is a Walk Medley - I just quickly put together. Quite well known songs I think -

Last edited:
I believe Cash's "Flushed From the Bathroom of your Heart," also has the same tune.

I enjoyed your medley, thanks Alan.

Actually I enjoyed all of the medley's so far.

Last edited:
I'm very happy to have be able to participate in a week hosted by Tootler. I usually miss these for one reason or another, but this week I was able to mash something together. A friend recently turned me onto David Gilmour's solo stuff so I've been listening to that and a lot of Pink Floyd. I believe that Gilmour has one of the best and most unique voices in music and his epic guitar solos are amazing. So, I've thrown together this Pink Floyd sing along that I think is a rehearsal/prerecording of something I will be doing in the future. As usual, headphones recommended. I hope you enjoy.

The thought occurs to me that medleys to be played in an old folks home must change over time. So let's fast forward to about 2035, when this medley might go down OK.

I think nursing homes are probably among the easiest audiences you will ever encounter. The residents are so grateful for something to break up the monotony that they love just about anything you do. And I can promise you that at the nursing home where I play, with the kinds of songs you do, you would be an immediate and big star.

Yes, nursing homes are wonderful places to play. If there are any adult day centers nearby, you should check to see if you could play there, too. My wife is the head of nursing at a group of centers, and the participants have a great time whenever our group comes. The staff enjoys it, too.

Not really known for playing songs everyone immediately recognizes...I did chose some that my students have found on their own and played. Little medley of love songs people should know, in the easiest chords- CGAmF. Go get your Ukes.

Thornton Rule entry #1

This is "The Humline Song" written by James Gordon for the CBC show "Basic Black"

I do an open mic night about once a month (used to be more often but then life happened) and I get a set of three songs which I normally form from the Seasons songs I've enjoyed playing and which have stuck with me a bit more. When it's a quiet night though I'll often be permitted a fourth and sometimes a fifth. Because I've spent the week just building up three songs, I'll normally turn to one of my "staples" which I can play at a moment's notice, I know have gone down well in the past and also let me show off a bit.

These are three of them, which I've picked in part because I've done a bit of my own arranging on them to make them my own and fit on the uke a bit better. Probably a bit long but I wanted to include all the elements of each song.

Ok, it seems Stan and I had the same Old Time idea. Thank goodness we didn't repeat any songs. Some of these ideas are taken from Dr. Uke's site. He had hundreds of medleys already to go for you if your stuck.

I figured there was two ways to go about this week....either put a medley together on your own or find some help. I actually did this for a group in the past. It went over well.

Since themed medleys seem to be a "thing" this Season, here's my 2nd entry, a truck driving song medley I fairly hastily put together. Not perfect, but my intentions were good.

Top Bottom