Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kmise. Concert Uke, Solid Spruce Top. MI2067 Spruce/Rosewood, MI2068 Spruce/Mahogany

Hi Joe,
    I've never used aliexpress, getting mine via eBay has worked well, the service was really excellent and the Ukes arrived earlier than the expected dates, free freight as well. I guess some countries have differing trade relations, even via online trade.
    It's good using PayPal, I find it keeps you covered for anything that goes wrong with the purchase which is good for peace of mind in that regard at least..
    Glad to hear you got a good Uke in the end ... Happy Ukeing Joe

I'll chime in here. I have bought about 5 Kmise to give to relatives and to have as loaners. I have had solid spruce top, solid mahog, and laminate mahog. Surprisingly the laminate mahog sounded the best to me. I also have bought 2 of their concert banjoleles, one maple and one mahog [okume?] The ukes have all been under $50 and the banjos under $100 . They are well built and surprisingly attractive with lots of nice touches. They were all shipped from china in single boxes and one of the banjos came with a hole in the drum, but the seller sent me another top and a gig bag for my trouble. If you are looking for a first uke or a beater you can't go wrong with these. I really like the banjolele, it's a keeper and a looker. It comes with a screwed on back, but I removed it and sanded the back rim and applied a little varnish . Then stuffed a rolled up sock between the metal rod and the top to tone down the overtones and volume. Sounds better to me like this.
    Last edited by strumsilly; 08-12-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thanks guys, for this info. I've always said I'd never buy a uke off Amazon, and have steered others away, with good cause. But these ukes give me a reason to take another look. I'm not in the hunt right now, but if I need a low cost uke for something, I'll look at Kmise 1st.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Hello all,

Just to let you know I offered myself a Kmise concert, solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides. Reallly nice looking, with an elegant open headstock. As for my previous tenor, the overall quality is just incredible for the price (42$, shipping incl.). I had to lower the action a bit on the saddle and nut, and the intonation is very slightly out of tune on the A string, but I suspect the stock strings (Aquila nylgut) to be not the best choice for this instrument. I just ordered a set of carbon black that might solve the problem. All in all, I'm still amazed by the quality of the Kmise ukes which sound bright and mellow at the same time. A really good bargain.
    Cheers,
    Gilles

Good One Gilles T, that's good you are seemingly well pleased with the Uke. Same model as mine, I like it.
    I think regarding the tones, there is a pretty good tonal range and the bass and trebles both sound nicely , and are clearly present both depending on what you play or what captures your attention during different times.
    I've still got the original strings on mine, still liking them but I will wait until the new Aquilas come out and put some on instead.
    I find the model with Mahogany back/sides a bit more in the mids than the Rosewood model but still good.
    I lowered the action on one mine too and I enjoyed it more afterwards, it's a lovely uke to play I think ..
    I don't mind the little Whale on the 12th fret marker , I used to go to a group their symbol was a whale, and we get some whales along the coast here they migrate down south each year with calves, they're pretty cool characters.

Happy Ukeing
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-07-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Question for the US buyers of this ukulele, how does paying the import fees work? Do you get a separate bill or does the seller pay?
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Question for the US buyers of this ukulele, how does paying the import fees work? Do you get a separate bill or does the seller pay?
    Hi kkimura, I'm not sure about US. I have seen them selling with a price set in US dollars so I'm pretty sure they can easily be purchased, as far as import duties are concerned it would be a safer and surer option to have a check with the seller, It's called superistore or Kmise , however from my experience importing into Australia I didn't pay any fees or freight ..
    Service was good actually, it was about ten days until delivery and no problems experienced ..
    Perhaps someone who has purchased one in US would give a better answer also ..
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-07-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Beaver View Post
    Hi kkimura, I'm not sure about US. I have seen them selling with a price set in US dollars so I'm pretty sure they can easily be purchased, as far as import duties are concerned it would be a safer and surer option to have a check with the seller, It's called superistore or Kmise , however from my experience importing into Australia I didn't pay any fees or freight ..
    Service was good actually, it was about ten days until delivery and no problems experienced ..
    Perhaps someone who has purchased one in US would give a better answer also ..
    Thanks Dean, sounds straight forward for Australia. Anyone out there from the US?
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Sorry I bought from France, from the Bay; so I can't be a great help...

@ Dean Beaver : thanks for your friendly message. Yes, that such a tiny instrument can host such a big beast as a whale in a tiny 12th fret, that's the magic of uke !
    Regarding the strings : I play only fingerstyle, and never liked the nylgut on a uke (no problem on my period instrument; I had a german lute-guitar which sounded gorgeous with nylgut). On the other hand, I find the Red and the Carbon black just perfect for my use, and with far better intonation.
    Regards,
    Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by gilles T View Post
    Regarding the strings : I play only fingerstyle, and never liked the nylgut on a uke (no problem on my period instrument; I had a german lute-guitar which sounded gorgeous with nylgut). On the other hand, I find the Red and the Carbon black just perfect for my use, and with far better intonation.
    Regards,
    Gilles
    Excellent. I have the Reds on my Soprano, it took me a while to get used to them but I seem to be sticking with them so I must be liking them. I've used Nylguts for several years so probably a familiarity thing with me , but more recently started to try some other strings, so am learning to appreciate differences and unique character more in due time.
    I really started Uke playing again only this year, after having a few years where I was mainly only playing guitar and barely any Uke, so with changing times I figure in due time I'll find where it's at. I also have Worths Clears on my 8-String Concert Uke and on a Mahogany Tenor, I'm liking them too.
    I like the Nylguts with fingerpicking but not so keen on them with strumming, I also like fingerpicking but am also working on my strumming but more recently.
    It will be interesting eventually to try some new strings on these Ukes, I like fingerpicking on these and personally find them to be quite a charm I'll look forward to some new feeling and sound on it.
    I never really thought of the size of whales and how the image fits into the 12th fret, but you're right the whales are seriously quite gigantic in reality and it is pretty cool how the image fits so small on the Uke.

Cheers , and Happy Ukeing ..
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-07-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Thread Information