WTB: Moore Bettah String set

bigbird1

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone happen to have a Moore Bettah string set that they would be willing to sell?

If not, does anyone know the type and gauge of each string used to make up the set?

Many thanks.

Mike

Yes, with a kind reply that no more are available at his end. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I got a set from the ukulele site a couple months ago. I put them on and then took them right off my tenor. Not for me. I don't remember if I cut them or not but I could mail to you.

I got a set from the ukulele site a couple months ago. I put them on and then took them right off my tenor. Not for me. I don't remember if I cut them or not but I could mail to you.

wow what kind of uke did you put the strings on..I really like them and have tried every set you can imagine...:) what did you not like? I have them 4 of my ukes now

I got a couple sets from Chuck a while back. The basses are guitar strings, Thomastik-Infeld, the flat-wound steel, CF30 and CF27; the trebles are fluorocarbon. I think Chuck unspooled his own.

Since I am using them on all my ukuleles, I put togther sets on my own, and the GPX Oasis clears work really well for the E and A on mine.

I got them from Strings by Mail.

This set works really well for my ukes, and I think they are just a bit better sounding than the Southcoast low-G set.

I got a couple sets from Chuck a while back. The basses are guitar strings, Thomastik-Infeld, the flat-wound steel, CF30 and CF27; the trebles are fluorocarbon. I think Chuck unspooled his own.

Since I am using them on all my ukuleles, I put togther sets on my own, and the GPX Oasis clears work really well for the E and A on mine.

This set works really well for my ukes, and I think they are just a bit better sounding than the Southcoast low-G set.

Yeah I like um to Steve...Chuck and Andrew using another brand of fluorocarbon E and A strings though...:)

excellent info steve. thank you.

I personally have no idea which fluoros Chuck uses along with the Thomastik Infeld C27 and C30, but I use Savarez Alliance KF classical guitar strings. These are the same strings that Savarez uses in their 140R and 150R ukulele sets. You can get individuals under the "specialty singles" section on Strings by Mail (great guy to buy from IMO!). I've tried all sorts of different gauge combinations, and had worked out my preferred high G all fluoro set quite a while back, so I just carried the trebles over to pair with the Thomastiks. For my MB tenor, currently am using the KF71 and KF60 for the E and A. These are just slightly thicker than what Savarez puts in their tenor set, but slightly thinner than their concert set. Depending on what John has in stock, you can get the Savarez singles in 2 meter lengths, which is nice.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...specialty-singles-147/alliance-kf-carbon-602/

-Steve

Last edited:
Great info from Steveperrywriter regarding pairing up the Thomastiks with Oasis warms and Telperion suggestioning the Savarez. I have used both combos with good results. I have the Thomastiks paired with the E and A string from Worth CT on a Kinnard and they sound wonderful as well. The Thomastiks seem to go well with any florocarbon of your choice. Tone and tension are very personal so some experimenting can go a long way.

They just weren't for me. I am not a very good player so my opinion maybe suspect. But on the Mya moe tenor i felt the sweetness of the instrument was completely lost. And I tended to squeak a lot more dealing with 2 wound strings. I have a wound low g on my Martin tenor. Sounds good. But after hearing someone playing their koa tenor with high g and a wound c, I may try that combo someday.

Wow, thanks (to everyone) so much for all your great responses and wealth of knowledge. I didn't know what to expect when I put this thread out there!!

Best, Mike

I was just recommending these strings on another thread. They are fantastic, and well worth the wait if you are still waiting. :)

Top Bottom