Uke stores in San Francisco/Monterrey Area?

DanY

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm visiting the San Francisco/Monterrey area this week. Any recommended uke stores to check out? Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm visiting the San Francisco/Monterrey area this week. Any recommended uke stores to check out? Thanks!

San Francisco/Japan Town - Aloha Warehouse

A little farther down the Peninsula but well worth the trip is Gryphon Stringed Insturments in Pablo Alto. High end, collectibles, mid rants and entry level.

San Jose - Smiley Kai of Ukulele Source will have everything you need from the all the "K" brands to many of the made in China ukes. Great source for the K brands though as well as Romero Ukes.

Santa Cruz -Sylvan Music.

All of these stores will have a great selection in every price range. I'd stay away from the big box guitar stores. You can't go wrong with the shops I've suggested.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you find something you love!

San Jose - Smiley Kai of Ukulele Source will have everything you need from the all the "K" brands to many of the made in China ukes. Great source for the K brands though as well as Romero Ukes.

Santa Cruz -Sylvan Music.

Sweet I live in the bay and I didn't know about these spots! Thanks for the post and the tip!!

last time I was there Gelb Music in Redwood Ciry had a few Hawaiian Ukes

In Berkeley - Pohaku Ukuleles (Peter Hurney).

I was there a few weeks ago. He has a few completed for sale. Check out his website and make arrangement to meet. Do not walk in, its his home.

Hey bay folks. Don't mean to high jack the thread but since we are talking about bay area uke shops. Does anyone have a recommendation on getting a pick-up done (purchased and installed). I wanted to get a LR Baggs Five.O. Not sure if it is better to order the hardware and have an install done or just go to a shop to get the whole thing done.

Thanks ya'll.

deznuchs: The best in the area for any work done is Gryphon Stringed Instruments, without a doubt. Frank Ford and his crew are legendary.

deznuchs: The best in the area for any work done is Gryphon Stringed Instruments, without a doubt. Frank Ford and his crew are legendary.

I agree. I've had Gryphon install L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickups in two of my ukuleles and K & K Pure Mini pickups in two of my tenor guitars. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable.

I agree. I've had Gryphon install L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickups in two of my ukuleles and K & K Pure Mini pickups in two of my tenor guitars. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable.

mds725: did you purchase the pickups separately and have them do the work? or did you do everything with them?

mds725: did you purchase the pickups separately and have them do the work? or did you do everything with them?

So far, they have provided the pickups as well as the installation. However, I now have an L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickup that I am going to have them install for me. I paid Gryphon $149 for the L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickups back in 2015, and installation was between $100 - $110. If you can get an L.R. Baggs 5.0 for less than $149, I don't think they'd have a problem with you bringing them a pickup to install.

So far, they have provided the pickups as well as the installation. However, I now have an L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickup that I am going to have them install for me. I paid Gryphon $149 for the L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickups back in 2015, and installation was between $100 - $110. If you can get an L.R. Baggs 5.0 for less than $149, I don't think they'd have a problem with you bringing them a pickup to install.

Perfect. Thanks for the information:) :shaka:

Top Bottom