What are the Pros and Cons of buying a used Ukulele?

Rollie-

Please don't take this the wrong way...

I can't help but have the feeling that for you to receive someones used ukulele, is almost like you seeing someone toss chewing gum on the ground, and what it would be like for you to pick up the discarded gum and begin to chew it yourself.

I am sorry you feel this way and I am also sorry if I am incorrect.

Please understand that I am not judging nor criticizing you, but merely just making an observation.

No problems Booli, you should know that I would not take anything that you said as a personal assault. We all have our own opinions. I don't think that the chewing gum analogy really fits. I mean, who would buy used chewing gum? Nobody would. I'm sure you wouldn't do that. I don't have an analogy that would fit. I can not defend myself. I have no reason for how I feel, I just do. I am who I am.

I'm pretty much the same, in that I'm not over keen on pre used, but I think in my case it stems from my childhood where almost everything I had had been handed down from my brothers.

(Having said that, I have just taken a gamble on a pre used piccolo, so I hope it works out OK.)

There are many legitimate reasons for "casting off" that have virtually nothing to do with the real worth of a uke. My first standard-sized uke was a used Mainland concert. It was in pristine condition, plays and sounds like a dream, and I got it for $100 less than new, with a gig bag included. It probably sounded better than a new one because it already had four years of seasoning—there's no substitute for time, and ukes generally improve with age. Had I only been looking at new ukes, I'd have ended up with a lesser uke due to my target budget, and it probably wouldn't have been set up properly. I wouldn't have even been looking at Mainlands. So for me, buying used was a boon all around.

I don't see the sense in paying extra money just to lose that value the moment you hand over the dosh. It's like gambling against a rigged wheel.

Ubulele, you are a very practical person. Sometimes I wish that I were more so. (But in this case not really.) I can see from your perspective where my opinion on the subject would not fit into your frame of logic, but I do not think the same as you. So that is me. As I said to Booli, I can't defend how I feel about things. That is how I am. But I find the defense of your stance is well thought out. I would expect nothing less from you. I just look at it differently.

No problems Booli, you should know that I would not take anything that you said as a personal assault. We all have our own opinions. I don't think that the chewing gum analogy really fits. I mean, who would buy used chewing gum? Nobody would. I'm sure you wouldn't do that. I don't have an analogy that would fit. I can not defend myself. I have no reason for how I feel, I just do. I am who I am.

Ok. No worries.

Maybe it was a flawed analogy.

I appreciate that we all think differently based upon our experiences in life. I was just trying to understand your perspective. I am sorry that I failed to do exactly that.

Nobody should fault you for holding to your own true beliefs and opinions, especially not me, for I have not walked in your shoes. I respect your opinion and just wanted to also thank you for the kindness in your reply. :)

I've only bought 1 uke used, and it was from ebay.

Now.. the caveat, was that I bought it as a beater. Something I could take camping/hiking/etc where damage was likely.
I was careful about checking detailed pics, and it was a well known model (kala cedar top).
And I got a great deal on a good uke.

But... maybe that was luck.

There's always a bit of risk that you have to accept buying used. But it can be mediated by detailed pics, and seller ratings.

I would never buy a used custom built ukulele. Not only is it a cast off, but it is a ukulele that was custom built for someone else. I don't care if it cost $5000 and it is being sold for $500. At one time someone else said this is exactly what I want. If I were to get a custom built, I would have one custom built exactly the way I want. I don't want to settle for someone else's custom ukulele.

This is really cool because I'm the exact opposite right now. The only way I'd get a custom uke is by buying it second hand on account of the lower price.

Some day, after winning the lottery, maybe things will change. Who wants in on the next big Powerball with me?

I'm big on used. They can be a great bargain. Key word CAN. I've bought and sold here on UU with only positive experiences. If I found, down the road that a particular uke didn't suit, I have not paid full price and can resell without any kind of big hit. Now on the other hand I have made a few vintage purchases (not on UU) that were disappointing. I didn't lose a ton, but in retrospect I would not go down that road without being more knowledgeable or ONLY buying from a truly trusted source. My best used deal was my Pono PC Bari that I got used, 1/2 price, locally, from a TBUS member who bought it as their starter uke from HMS and only played for a couple of months. I don't rule out new, though. Sometimes it's hard to get what you want used. I've got my eye on a Pono steel string tenor guitar. I'll just keep my eyes out for a sale 'cuz I doubt I'll find it used anytime soon.

Last edited:
Hi, I see you live over the water in the USA. Maybe Kala are different over there, all of mine have been very good. Modest prices and very playable. I could buy an expensive uke, but I can play my Kalas and get good sounds from them, especially fingerstyle, so why change?

I really liked the Kala KA‑SRT‑SC I bought. But, I think my not keeping it was meant to be. The first one had warped top board (really warped - just did not look at it from the side.), the second one had a noticeable buzz. It was delaminating from the inside. It was bad enough for me to put a borescope inside. Someone did not do a proper quality inspection. So, I've had it with Kala. That's why I thought to look for one in the Marketplace. However, I did just today buy a new uke. . .

It all depends on how much you crave a pristine instrument and how tolerant you are of scratches and wear marks.

Other than a lack of warranty, I don't think there are any cons to buying used - as long as you take the necessary precautions when dealing with a private seller (Paypal, etc).

And the notion that people only sell lousy sounding ukes is absolutely incorrect. Ask Corey at HMS about the used Cuban Mahogany Ko'olua I sold him! Moreover, every vintage instrument ever purchased was a used instrument.

It is actually a great way to save money on purchases (and also limits your downside if you decide you want to sell it yourself).

Coming from my viola/violin background, buying used instruments is second nature. Comparatively few players buy those new. I buy almost everything used. I wouldn't buy a new house, vehicle, furniture or clothes (well, except underwear - LOL). I shop in thrift stores, and on Craigslist and eBay frequently. I love to find bargains I can be proud of spending little on for how good they are. Craigslist hasn't yielded much in instruments over the years, mainly just a few that I've found super-cheap and flipped for more money, but I've bought virtually all my 'keeper' instruments online. The one exception is a mandola someone made for me.

bratsche

Last edited:
bratsche,
I totally agree, both my fiddles were used, one was pretty old (1930s). I would never consider a brand new fiddle. But as for a house, after living in this 1956 vintage house, I'd take a brand new one any day. Old (used) houses are nothing but a pain in the bank account. If I had the money, we'd dump this sucker and move into a brand spanking new home.

To me, a used ukulele is someone's cast off. Even if it is in pristine condition. I know that a lot of people here buy them, play them once or twice, and then get rid of them to make room for the next one. My logic tells me that there is a deal there, but in my gut tells me that it is the one that they didn't want. It is the one they were most willing to get rid of.

I think I get the idea of what you're saying, but I think it might depend on why someone is selling the ukulele.

For example, I'm toying with the idea of selling a ukulele that is a great ukulele, (IMO), but I'm realizing that I play better on smaller ukuleles, and can play longer on smaller ukuleles. (Might eventually sell the tenor, but keep Ohta San, soprano, and concert.) If I sell it, it's not really a cast off, but one that isn't right for me.

Some people sell because they've lost interest in ukulele, or have a health or financial situation that makes it necessary to stop playing.

Some people here on UU seem to like to experiment with different ukuleles, and try one out, and then pass it along so they can try something else. Their "cast off" might be a fantastic ukulele in perfect condition.

And, yes, some are probably less desirable, but we all differ in taste, and those cast offs might be perfect for someone else.

I did buy one used ukulele from the Market Place here. It was just what I was wanting, (Kinnard soprano), including the woods I wanted. The advantage of buying used was I got it right away instead of a long wait on the Kinnard build list, and got it for a great price. I love it.

There is risk in buying used, but I think that there a number of people here on UU who can be trusted to give an accurate description, and make it a painless process. When I was buying the used soprano, I went back through the person's posts, and felt like I could trust the person. (And fortunately, that was accurate.)

There is also risk in buying new, as the OP seems to have experienced with your unfortunate experiences with the Kala.

While buying from HMS, Mim, or Uke Republic can help you make sure that the ukulele is well set up, many of the ukuleles for sale here have been purchased from those places, and are well set up also.

We all have our personal preferences, and Rollie is very entitled to prefer to buy new, (I feel the same about some other items). But you might find a good price for a well loved and cared for ukulele if you buy used, so it will be up to the OP to decide what is comfortable for him/her. It might be one that someone regretfully is parting with, (wrong uke for the person, or circumstances requiring selling), but it might be the perfect ukulele for you.

Edited to add:
There are some stores who sell used ukuleles as well. Someone mentioned Elderly, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one from them.

I recently contacted Acoustic Music Works about a used ukulele, and they basically told me that it's a lovely ukulele, but based on what I told them, they suggested that it wasn't right for me, so I think I would trust them as well, since they gave up a potential sale, preferring to have a happy customer.

There are other places as well, depending on your budget, (I think Ukulele Friend is mostly high end ukuleles, correct?)

Lots of options, and trustworthy places to get a good price on a potentially perfect-for-you ukulele.

Last edited:
80% of my 40sh uke collection has come from the us market place. Just make sure you deal with an established member. It's part of the aloha spirit of UU.

Just a thought:
I have two ukuleles that I love very much that I am going to post for sale soon because there is a rather expensive high-end ukulele, also used, that I would not otherwise be able to afford.
There are only three or four of the 10 ukuleles that I have that are really worth anything in the resale market, so I have chosen to sell two of them to try and raise money to buy the one I want.

It was not an easy decision.
I have played this high-end ukulele and I know there is only a slim chance that a deal like this will materialize again.
I have played the two I want to sell and I really do love them, but they are each kind of redundant in my ukulele collection so I would be OK with letting someone else enjoy them as much as I have. Plus it will give me an opportunity to get something else. Sure I am losing money on the deal, but I figure I have had my time with the ukuleles I am selling and that time was easily worth it. I hope the potential buyer(s) feel the same way.

@Bill - there is a lot of great wisdom in your words posted above. +1 :)

Ivan has also very adeptly summed up many things into a concise and accurate one-liner. +1 :)

Just my 2 cents of feedback and I welcome other points of view as well...\m/

@Pueo - your thoughts and process are very similar to my own at the moment.

Likely this is a common experience for many. :)

Reading about those ukes that are discarded and not wanted anymore, makes me wish I was rich and could buy them all to give them a home.:(

Weird, I know. You'd have to know my past to understand . . .

But I also understand the wanting the new uke smell! :eek:

Of the half dozen ukuleles I've owned, I've bought a few new and a few used, and haven't had issues with any of them. Like others on the thread have mentioned, as long as you're buying it from a reputable place (like this forum), you're good.

For what it's worth, the only ukulele I haven't been super happy with was the one someone bought for me as a gift - not a bad ukulele at all, and lots of people like this particular brand and model, but it's just not what I would have chosen and I've always kind of felt stuck with it.

I've bought both new and used instruments and have a few nice eBay guitars. If you buy off eBay make sure it can be returned.

On another note... you live in West LA. There has to be tons of used ukuleles not far from you on Craigslist, as has been mentioned, or at one of the many music stores and pawn shops. Just get out and see what available. Some of the best times can be had just searching for that one particular instrument. The downside are the ones you wish you didn't pass on and kick yourself down the road... Chris Squire bass, pre-Gibson Tobias bass, etc...

John

Top Bottom