Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ko'olau Alohi Strings

Default Ko'olau Alohi Strings

Hi all. I've had a set of Alohi strings on my concert uke for about two months now and play it regularly (4-5 times a week). Everytime I come back the strings are massively out of tune and even need re-tuning whilst playing. Has anyone else had a similar problem with these strings? Do they just take a ridiculous amount of time to break in?
    Mahalo U30P Soprano (1st uke)
    Kremona Mari Soprano
    Cordoba 20CM Concert

Yes, the Alohi strings are very temperature sensitive. Tune after your fretting fingers have warmed the strings. When you put the uke away the strings will cool and not be in tune when you pick it up next. Do not retune. However, warm the strings again and they should still be in tune.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.
    Mahalo U30P Soprano (1st uke)
    Kremona Mari Soprano
    Cordoba 20CM Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Yes, the Alohi strings are very temperature sensitive. Tune after your fretting fingers have warmed the strings. When you put the uke away the strings will cool and not be in tune when you pick it up next. Do not retune. However, warm the strings again and they should still be in tune.
    Hodge:

Do you warm up the strings by just playing? How long does it take to get them back in tune if you don't tune when you pick up the Uke?

I have a set of these and have not heard of this before.

Thanks in advance.

Are they nylon? This happens all the time on my nylon string guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    Hodge:

Do you warm up the strings by just playing? How long does it take to get them back in tune if you don't tune when you pick up the Uke?

I have a set of these and have not heard of this before.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Lenny,

To expedite warming the Ko'olau Alohi or D'addario T2 strings, I would often initially wrap my fretting hand around the strings/ up and down the fretboard where I normally play. Then play/warmup a bit before I would check tuning.

Before I realized the temperature effect and did a warmup, the strings would be Cold and sound flat when I first picked up my uke. So, I'd retune right away. They warmed up and got sharp. So, I would have to retune down. I'd put the away and repeat this cycle.
    -Hodge

Hi Lenny,

To expedite warming the Ko'olau Alohi or D'addario T2 strings, I would often initially wrap my fretting hand around the strings/ up and down the fretboard where I normally play. Then play/warmup a bit before I would check tuning.

Before I realized the temperature effect and did a warmup, the strings would be Cold and sound flat when I first picked up my uke. So, I'd retune right away. They warmed up and got sharp. So, I would have to retune down. I'd put the away and repeat this cycle.
    Thanks Hodge. I'll try it. I don't know if these are new strings or not, so I am not sure if it is just detuning because they are new or it is the effect you are talking about here. Either way, I learned something new.

BTW, are these the same or similar to the T2's? It seems like D'Addario has changed packaging, keeping the 87 model number, but have removed the T2 designation.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    Thanks Hodge. I'll try it. I don't know if these are new strings or not, so I am not sure if it is just detuning because they are new or it is the effect you are talking about here. Either way, I learned something new.

BTW, are these the same or similar to the T2's? It seems like D'Addario has changed packaging, keeping the 87 model number, but have removed the T2 designation.

Thank you.
    Lenny, I thought D'addario made the Alohi strings for Ko'olau using the same materials as their T2 / Titanium strings. Both have the purple hue and nice smooth feel. Only the G string is a different diameter.

The Alohi tenor diameters are
    4th G – .032 Plain Monofilament
    3rd C – .041 Plain Monofilament
    2nd E – .033 Plain Monofilament
    1st A – .029 Plain Monofilament

The T2 / Titanium tenor string diameters are
    4th G – .029 Plain Monofilament

I liked the sound of these strings, but the temperature effect was a pain for me.
    -Hodge

Lenny, I thought D'addario made the Alohi strings for Ko'olau using the same materials as their T2 / Titanium strings. Both have the purple hue and nice smooth feel. Only the G string is a different diameter.

The Alohi tenor diameters are
    4th G – .032 Plain Monofilament

The T2 / Titanium tenor string diameters are
    4th G – .029 Plain Monofilament

I liked the sound of these strings, but the temperature effect was a pain for me.
    So, is there a string of this type that you have changed to? I do like this nylon type string.

I tried Alohis a couple of times. My experience was negative. Like yours, mine took forever to start holding a tune. Then, once they did, I didn't like the way they sounded. I don't believe the warm strings/cool strings thing. Moving up or down in pitch a but, due to temperature change? Mm...maybe, but strings re-tuning themselves? Quote the Cowardly Lion, "Imposserous"!
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thread Information