Holding strap to strap button

Nickie

Reaction score
I have a pretty old uke strap on, and it is so soft on the ends that it keeps slipping off the button. I stuck a stretched paper clip over it, but it looks tacky, and I suppose it's only a matter of time before I poke myself with it. Somewhere I saw a website with one for sale, but I lost track of it before I could order it. Does anyone know of it?

Hey Nickie, musicians friend sells strap locks. I have a soft leather strap that I can't trust either. I use it on my Bari that has a pickup Jack, so, I have an old cable though with a 90deg angle on it and I just cut off cable and stick it in the Jack and it works like a strap lock and it was free.

aha, thanks bunny! I shall search around here to see if there's a loose cable end, if not, I will try Musician's Friend or Elderly.

Hi Nickie (From across the state)

Ten cent rubber washer from Home Depot does the job well, and looks good.

Hi Nickie (From across the state)

Ten cent rubber washer from Home Depot does the job well, and looks good.

That's what I use though from a different source being in the U.K. I actually got mine from eBay

there's also this called 'Strap Keeper':

sk1_2.jpg
sk1_5.jpg

http://www.elderly.com/strap-keeper-...dpin-jacks.htm

Nickie

Here is my best and cheapest McIver solution to the "loose, stretched strap hole"........Scotch Tape. Just pinch the strap slot together and wrap some tape around it. Never comes off now.

20170728_172927.jpg

Nickie

Here is my best and cheapest McIver solution to the "loose, stretched strap hole"........Scotch Tape. Just pinch the strap slot together and wrap some tape around it. Never comes off now.

View attachment 101845

LOL!

Dave that's GREAT!

Best example of Occams Razor I have ever seen in a real life musical use.

Thank you bunny, Keith, Prattism, Geoff, Booli, Ukecaster, jane, Stagehand, Dave!
I found a soft washer and a cable end, and put them on with a hard washer too. It looks kinda funky, but it passed the hold test whilst picking and strumming wildly. (That's about the only way I can play, wildly)
I had tried a rubber band, ala Dave's method, but it broke during a jam session I was leading, unraveled, and went flying through space.
Then I was messing around in the tool shed (I have tools that I don't know how to use) and found a Dunlap set of universal strap holders, and will try to make something work out of that. If that fails, come payday, I'll order one of the actual guitar/uke ones.
But, so far, so good!

Last edited:
I've switched most of my strap buttons to the DAddiro elliptical strap button. This design eliminates the need for washers, clips. etc. Certainly a little more costly than washers,etc but, to me anyway, definitely worth the peace of mind I get when considering how I'd feel dinging my favorite Boat Paddle or Pono.

Top Bottom