Maton Tenor Ukulele...........

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I'm wondering why these aren't sold in North America at all. At least to my knowledge. I saw the concerts a few years ago and thought... perhaps a tenor would be nice as I'm a tenor player. Well, they have it now. Our Canadian $ is close to par. I see Southern Ukulele Store in UK sells them. Am I missing something?

Spec are Australian Blackwood body with Queensland Maple neck and rosewood fret board. Sound sample seem good........ Blackwood in in the acacia and koa type family and I see custom builder in Australia using it.

I'd personally like to pick one up and try it out but guess I have to go to Australia or UK.

Anybody own one or have experience with them? Any reason they are not sold in North America?

I'm wondering why these aren't sold in North America at all. At least to my knowledge. I saw the concerts a few years ago and thought... perhaps a tenor would be nice as I'm a tenor player. Well, they have it now. Our Canadian $ is close to par. I see Southern Ukulele Store in UK sells them. Am I missing something?

Spec are Australian Blackwood body with Queensland Maple neck and rosewood fret board. Sound sample seem good........ Blackwood in in the acacia and koa type family and I see custom builder in Australia using it.

I'd personally like to pick one up and try it out but guess I have to go to Australia or UK.

Anybody own one or have experience with them? Any reason they are not sold in North America?

I think you'll find it's rather difficult to export things from Australia.

For what it's worth, I was thinking about buying one a little while ago, but decided against it because I didn't like the sound. Blackwood is a lovely wood though. We have a dining table made from it.

I've never seen a Maton guitar in a music shop in the USA in the past 37 yrs. I know that Tommy Emmanuelle plays them, but other than his use of them, they seem pretty obscure here in the USA.

I'd think that finding their UKES here, would be like finding a unicorn.

I don't like to say this as an Australian but your not missing anything regarding the Maton Tenor. Its OK but it sounds "tight". My brother owns one and it wasn't setup that well either. One day I'll work on and make it better but honestly its no better or worse than any other overbuilt ukulele.

I don't like to say this as an Australian but your not missing anything regarding the Maton Tenor. Its OK but it sounds "tight". My brother owns one and it wasn't setup that well either. One day I'll work on and make it better but honestly its no better or worse than any other overbuilt ukulele.

Tight is a good way to describe it.

Maton ukuleles were sold at Artisan Guitars in Nashville, perhaps two or so years ago. I don't think they are carried there any longer. I believe Artisan used to carry a concert model made of bubinga. I've never played a Maton, nor have I any experience with bubinga wood. I will say though that I adore the sound of blackwood and consider it one of my favorite woods. Scott Wise, Allen MacFarlane, and Dennis O'Neil are Australian luthiers who do use blackwood in their builds. All three produce fine sounding instruments.

I've never seen a Maton guitar in a music shop in the USA in the past 37 yrs. I know that Tommy Emmanuelle plays them, but other than his use of them, they seem pretty obscure here in the USA.

I'd think that finding their UKES here, would be like finding a unicorn.

Music Mart, in Solana Beach, CA is a authorized dealer for Maton Guitars. Perhaps they could acquire Maton ukulele also if there was much demand. Tommy likes to use his instruments for percussion, lead, and rhythm, simultaneously. I suspect he uses Maton because they can build him instruments that will take his abuse without falling apart. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that their ukuleles are built strong, which may hamper acoustic resonance. One could check with Peter at Music Mart to see what is available to him.

Thanks for all the input. I'll pm Camsuke to get his opinion after owing and playing. I am aware that Scott and Alan build with it. Been on the fence for a few years on getting a Baron River......mostly just saving up. For BR..... my spec would Blackwood Back and sides and adi spruce most likely. I'm curious, about Maton cause they are a big name in Australia.......but then Fender has only made a token attempt at the Uke market. Kala with their experience and now the Kala Elite would likely be a safer bet, especially purchased from HMS. I do like to try different woods. A comment from a player who has one would be helpful. Thanks All

I have a Maton concert that I bought in February this year, and I like it a lot, but since I bought my tenor from Scott Wise, I rarely play it. My wife started to play this year, and has taken possession of the Maton, and she seems to like it. It looks well made, and probably a bit over built, has no pickup which I think would change the sound of the instrument. It comes with an awesome case, stays in tune etc. I don't know what the Maton tenor is like.

Maton ukuleles were sold at Artisan Guitars in Nashville, perhaps two or so years ago. I don't think they are carried there any longer. I believe Artisan used to carry a concert model made of bubinga. I've never played a Maton, nor have I any experience with bubinga wood. I will say though that I adore the sound of blackwood and consider it one of my favorite woods. Scott Wise, Allen MacFarlane, and Dennis O'Neil are Australian luthiers who do use blackwood in their builds. All three produce fine sounding instruments.

The wood that some Matons (and other Australian instruments) are made from is Bunya Pine. Bubinga is an African wood.

I played ONE Maton Concert ukulele once that sounded fantastic. It was very lively and open. I was hoping that Maton had turned the corner but I've never seen another one like it. The Maton tenors are a disappointment to me. No life at all.

Aussie speaking too...
I've owned Maton concert and tenor ukes, and 3 Maton guitars.
The git fiddles sing like the birds at dawn.
Dead be the ukes.
Don't chase one mate,
a Kala or Ohana (or anything) sounds more alive.

The wood that some Matons (and other Australian instruments) are made from is Bunya Pine. Bubinga is an African wood.

I played ONE Maton Concert ukulele once that sounded fantastic. It was very lively and open. I was hoping that Maton had turned the corner but I've never seen another one like it. The Maton tenors are a disappointment to me. No life at all.

Yes! Thanks, Anthony! My mistake on that one.

Aussie speaking too...
I've owned Maton concert and tenor ukes, and 3 Maton guitars.
The git fiddles sing like the birds at dawn.
Dead be the ukes.
Don't chase one mate,
a Kala or Ohana (or anything) sounds more alive.

Which hints at a supposition, that a great guitar builder isn't necessarily a good ukulele builder. There must be something about shifting scales...
I've been to 2 of Tommy Emanuel's concerts, and yes, those Maton guitars take quite a lickin' and keep on tickin'. (He's my favorite guitarist, even though I prefer Classical and Bluegrass style pickin')

I was a little suspicious of the over built Uke thing. Also, as Nickie points out......guitar builder not necessarily good Uke builders. I'd have to play one. Maybe they are just to early in development of their ukes or don't see the market. I'd suggest they talk to Andrew and his crew at HMS if they really want to get serious with exports. Saying that, I have heard a few good sound samples but nothing like playing one. When Larivee got back into ukes I recall some comment from reputable sellers saying they needed to thin their tops. All good fodder for discussion. The point from down under is understood, don't chase a Uke when lots of other good ukes out there. Still would like to see a big successful maker like Maton get the ukes right!

Except ONE of them 's a Kiwi :D

Just reviving this thread with some very subjective thoughts on my Maton Tenor.

I came from a guitar background and I bought a Maton Tenor and found it very 'guitar-like', in the sense that it was extremely well built and 'solid'. Not 'feather-light', like some ukes I tried, but not heavy either. It sounds very much like some mahogany ukes I tried - deep and woody would be how I'd describe the tone. Loud also. But it never seemed as harmonious with re-entrant tuning and bright strings, in the way that other more 'traditional' Tenors I tried did (not bad, just a bit brash for my liking). However, when I put a wound low G on it (soloist), accompanied by Worth Browns, it sounded absolutely gorgeous (to me). All four strings are well balanced and the intonation is spot on. It's beautiful to finger-pick folk tunes with and I'd love to hear someone with some serious flamenco or blues skills play it, I imagine they could really make it sing.

Anyway, my 2 centsworth. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I think you'll find it's rather difficult to export things from Australia.

For what it's worth, I was thinking about buying one a little while ago, but decided against it because I didn't like the sound. Blackwood is a lovely wood though. We have a dining table made from it.

The Duke 10 is sold by an Australian company, but they (banjo ukes) are now made in China. Maybe shipping from China is easier, although he was selling his banjo ukes - made in Australia - before introducing the Duke 10.

Top Bottom