SOTU 285 Lightnin' Roun'!

This is a beauty, Brian. I wish you didn't have to sing it.
I wonder if Charlie will play it for her pals so they won't have to sing it when we're gone.

Just wanted to share this with friends - if you object Alan I'll take it to the other instruments thread.
Charlie came over yesterday for some guitar playing - we were working on this chord progression - I told her I'd have some lyrics for it for next week so I just now worked them up.
Called it Ploughshares Into Swords

Thanks for keeping up, kids.
I seem to have caught up on the playlist.
If one of yours in among the missing at the moment please advise.

Day 6 (can I make it to 7?) and I have gone for something sung by Mr Armstrong.

Hi guys. Iam frustrated. All week long I have trying to get some entries out. For one reason or another this has not been satisfactory. Now when I have some songs sounding proper and even wrote a story song for Alan's wishlist. The mic on my Logitek c615 is not working with my Windows 10 OS anymore. If anyone has an idea about this I would love to hear it. My time constraints now indicate I will be out of action after this evening. Anyway Thankyou to all the folks who've been sending positive energy my way. It helps. I would like to share some of this and kick some my own into the pot for all the folks experiencing difficulties right now.

Here's a retread that was covered by Satchmo:

I am going to offer this one up as an Armstrong/Bennet song cos I'll never have that recipe again.
Strange thing about this song everybody seems to have developed their own strum pattern.
I suppose that is why the song is a jazz standard. With music, play a wrong note once it is a mistake,
but play it wrong twice and it is Jazz. So if you play a jazz tune in many different ways it becomes a standard :)

This was recorded for my gardening channel about a week ago.
Before the elevator doors slam shut I am slipping this past the judge.
cos it is a pretty good song by Mr Armstrong. Never appreciated it when
I was young and since I have got old my sensibilities have changed, cos now I
take time to look at and observe nature. When you slow down your eyes will be opened.

I'm posting tomorrow's song today because I couldn't -- say it with me now -- "Wait for It"!

I'm not a big show tunes guy. In my large music collection, there's maybe half a dozen Broadway soundtracks. But I got the "Hamilton" soundtrack a couple of months ago, and I've been playing it more than I have any album in a long time. Leslie Odom, Jr. won the best lead actor Tony for playing Aaron Burr in the Broadway production. Burr sort of narrates the story, so he takes part in a lot of the songs, but he's only the lead singer for a couple of them. Including this one.

Feeling a bit better. Thank you to everyone that wished me well!
Louis Armstrong - The song adapted into English is recorded by Louis Armstrong on 26 June 1950 in New York City with Sy Oliver and his Orchestra.

Could'nt resist Louis Armstrong who did more for Jazz than almost any artist

OK, folks, I need your help. You have two of the greatest vocalists in rock music (Richard Manuel and Levon Helm) plus the great Garth Hudson. And then me and my uke. Sing along, play your melodica ... give me a solid! Much appreciated.

I'm more familiar with the Bobby Day version of this than The Dave Clark Five version, but here it is. Tried this on my sopranino.

Other notable recordings are by Billie Holiday and Janis Joplin.

And here's another. A little backstory.

Stalwarts of the open Mic I go to are a duo called the 2 Chiefs. Couple of old timers, one plays ridiculously smooth guitar while singing, the other's a devil on the harmonica. Proper crowd pleases so they'll normally close the night, and normally they'll end their set with this song and when you're a few pints in at the end of a night of music, it's sheer perfection. Obviously I knew it was a cover but I had no knowledge of this song beyond the Chiefs. Until tonight.

Off I stroll to YouTube to find a Louis Armstrong song that isn't Wonderful World, and what should I find but a song called Summertime, which was a duet with Ella Fitzgerald. I wondered if it was that Summertime, and it only took a few notes to confirm. Listened all the way through, thought, bloody hell what a gorgeous track, and went straight to learning it, didn't even bother exploring the origins more. For all I know that version could be the version and I'm telling you all about a new invention called the wheel. Someone educate me. Please.

Anyway. This is for Keith and Keith. The 2 Chiefs. Next time I see them I'm gonna ask them if I can play it with them.

i sometimes have trouble when combining different vids and audios in windows movie maker, the software i use, sometimes things sound glitchy and i can't make them work and like you, i sometimes have to give up on combining things and just keep it simple. it's a problem i have with movie maker in windows 8.1, i also find synching audio to video more hit and miss with 8.1, in the glory days of XP *sad nostalgic sigh for the good old days* i could synch vids and audio, and combine vids, much more easily and reliably

I clap my hands sharply three times at the beginning before I do anything else, and then I use that bit to sync up the audio with the video, and then cut that bit before I save the final video. Like the clapperboard they use in the movies before they call "action."

Last edited:
I clap my hands sharply three times at the beginning before I do anything else, and then I use that bit to sync up the audio with the video, and then cut that bit before I save the final video. Like the clapperboard they use in the movies before they call "action."

Yep you got it - it's called a clapperboard.

Top Bottom