SOTU 285 Lightnin' Roun'!

thanks alan, you know i USED to tap sharply, 1-2-3-4, on the body of the uke, that was a handy way to synch, but i keep forgetting to do it these days!!! hopefully your post will inspire me to try a bit harder to remember!

Wrappin' things up now.
There are a few other songs to sing maybe so there are two straggler artists here.
A couple things:
-When I say John Cage I mean John Cale Bothserious dudes though.
- The reason for the Ringo thing is because of his first wife Maureen. Here's a tidbit about her:
The very first song in the Apple Records catalogue was a special private recording by Frank Sinatra. In 1968, as a favour to Starr, Sinatra recorded a special version of his previously released song, "The Lady Is a Tramp", for Mo's birthday. Sammy Cahn re-wrote the lyrics, and personalised them: "She married Ringo, and she could have had Paul/That's why the lady is a champ".[SUP][48][/SUP][SUP][49][/SUP] Sinatra's recording was pressed as a single in Los Angeles, and notated as Apple 1

And finally, thank you thank you thank you. This was my dream season. You each brought joy wonder and weirdness... see you soon:

I was reading about Garth Hudson, and discovered that he had been in a band called Burrito Deluxe in the early Naughties. I remembered I had some tracks somewhere and found this one...

I probably should've went with some band or group or person that I've heard of before but the name velvet underground intrigued me. They are brand new to me as is this song but it only seemed appropriate.

love you Pops.
couldn't let this week go past.
my favourite song I learnt in the last couple of months.
(by last couple of months, I mean today).

Know very little about Velvet Underground except that Lou Reed was a member - was surprised to find this sad little song with a female vocalist - hope it's the same group

Hows this for another choice. Just play me your favorite song you've worked out in the last couple of months?

Right. Here's one I've been working on. The Harmonica club forum has a monthly "Alphabet Challenge" You have to play tunes beginning with the letters of the alphabet in turn. This month it's "F" and here's two tunes I've been working on for the Alphabet Challenge. It has added accompaniment from my Brueko Tenor ukulele.

Flatwater Fran was written by Scottish Accordionist, Phil Cunningham. The story I heard is it's named after his sister who's a flatwater canoist. The Footsteps of Childhood is one I wrote some years ago originally as a tune for setting a poem I found on the internet written by someone who grew up in a village close to the mouth of the river Tees but I extended it to create a 32 bar waltz.

I put my instrumental stuff on Vimeo, mainly because the software used for Harmonica Club seems to have problems with You Tube. Embedded videos from Vimeo don't seem to show up in tablets so I've added the link underneath.

https://vimeo.com/228473904

This week is so confusing, I nearly posted my Satchmo song again. But not, it's Saturday, so it must be the Dave Clark Five. To be honest, I didn't even know they did this one - a bigger hit for them in the US than back home apparently. But I do know Showaddywaddy did it. Now that would be a Season...;)

Thornton rule liberally applies to this video. None of the singers or song writers mentioned this week are involved whatsoever with this song. However, no ukuleles were harmed in the making of this video.

Last edited:
Very nice Geoff! Flatwater Fran was on Vimeo and didn't show up on YT so I couldn't add it to the season but please accept my thanks and admiration for this video. Top notch stuff.

This year at UWC we sang and played the whole first Record, The Velvet Underground and Nico. The plan is to do the same for the next three years since they put out one a year for the first 4 years. Here's the first recordhttps://dochub.com/alanthornton/J1VWxx/velvet-underground-and-nico-uke-fakebook-uwc-ix-pdf?dt=eqt4ni9s72gilvbm

And thanks for the above to the Worlds Greatest VU Ukulele band Thumbs Up from New Jersey.

[/COLOR]

ooooooooooooooooooooooh beaten to this by BDU, gonna go check his version out right now!!!!!

sunday morning by velvet underground

This may not be the end but you can see it from here

You folks have been so generous with your time and talent this season. I'd like to say thank you from the bottom of my tiny petrified heart.
Here's a Lou Reed song from Transformer that is certainly not that OTHER song by the same name. I did this for a season years ago. At that time this little Banjo Uke was making it's way around the States around the same time that Brian's LWU was traveling the World.

Good Night for Now!

Very nice Geoff! Flatwater Fran was on Vimeo and didn't show up on YT so I couldn't add it to the season but please accept my thanks and admiration for this video. Top notch stuff.

Thanks for the comment, Alan. I don't usually put my harp videos on YT because of the problem with YT and the harmonica forum. It also keeps my Vimeo account active and gives it focus.

There is a comment facility on Vimeo and they email you when you get comments, so I'd pick them up.

Edit to add: Of course, you knew that as you had commented on Roslin Castle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom