UKE Popularity Soars - interesting article

Seems more or less like an advertisement to me, a decent reporter would have at least asked one other person about the sudden soaring popularity that coincidentally coincides with Fenders new thing.

Well Mike since you are in the BUSINESS what is your take. Soaring popularity, slumping sales or just about the same over a five year period

Well Mike since you are in the BUSINESS what is your take. Soaring popularity, slumping sales or just about the same over a five year period

I'd say the fad part of it crested a few years back followed by a slump in sales for a year that has since rebounded somewhat. At present I see a lot of committed players who still get new folks hooked. Schools seem to be a little late into the game, but I am noticing more and more schools creating ukulele programs in the past couple of years.
Overall, I'd say we aren't disappearing from the cultural scene anytime soon, but the great ukulele gold rush is over.

I'd say the fad part of it crested a few years back followed by a slump in sales for a year that has since rebounded somewhat. At present I see a lot of committed players who still get new folks hooked. Schools seem to be a little late into the game, but I am noticing more and more schools creating ukulele programs in the past couple of years.
Overall, I'd say we aren't disappearing from the cultural scene anytime soon, but the great ukulele gold rush is over.
If the Ukulele World Congress is any indication, I would say that there is still plenty of interest and excitement in the ukulele world.

If the Ukulele World Congress is any indication, I would say that there is still plenty of interest and excitement in the ukulele world.

I agree, someone in the know said we had hit "critical mass" and it is popular enough to be self sustaining, not just a fad. The fact younger people are playing it, make hit songs with it and doing YouTube videos with it seems to bear this out.

Everytime I play a uke I go........"man I love that sound". Thats good enough for me.

I would really enjoy seeing the uke become more widely thought of as something other than a 'toy guitar', since I am kinda sick and tired of explaining myself to folks who only know of Tiny Tim.

I used to try to explain it.
Now I find its easier to just play it and show them.
It's faster.

I used to try to explain it.
Now I find its easier to just play it and show them.
It's faster.

Great idea!

I'm just gonna do this from now on. :)

More reasons to master that Jumpin Jim John King Classical book, and try to transcribe Jake's 'Piano Forte'. :music:

Top Bottom