Home recording of practice sessions

When I wanted to record for the Seasons, I was hampered by insufficient income to afford a $100 mic. I bought a $15 web cam on Amazon and just went for it. Later I bought a $15 Mic and have been using that with the web cam video. I did buy $75 worth of software ( Debut and Video pad) but later found out I could have downloaded free stuff to do the same things.

It's not perfect or Professional quality but way good enough to find out I was playing better and better. It has really helped me learn to sing less badly!

Valid suggestions from all, for computer and smarphone, but I need to remind that the OP has said she already owns a Zoom H1, and presumably is already familiar with it.

Smartphone will require the purchase of additional hardware, computer recording will not (H1 can work as USB mic) but either of these introduces complexity of new software and it's learning curve, however simple it may seem to those of us already using it, to a person new to recording in these ways, it's frustrating and requires additional time and effort invested...

For these reasons, let me clarify the simplicity of something like and in fact the Zoom H1 already owned by the OP...

1. Cost - $0

2. Actual use - Out of the box, insert battery, insert microSD card, turn it on, set levels and RECORD. That's it!

I am incapable of finding something with less hassle, and high-enough audio fidelity., especially if only to monitor one's own progress.

But maybe despite my decades of experience, and successful recording efforts, I am somehow incompetent.

Anything is possible :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom