Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a Uke around?

Quote Originally Posted by acmespaceship View Post
    #1 - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    #2 - Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World
    #3 - Tiptoe Through the Tulips (in which case I play Somewhere Over the Rainbow)
    #4 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (in which case I laugh and say I wish and play Somewhere Over the Rainbow)
    lol! Just know you got a good chuckle out of me.. cause it's so true!
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor
    Islander AC-4 Concert (Car Uke!)

I'm more of a cache and play uker, kinda like a squirrel with nuts. I keep a sop I won via the seasons at the beach house, a Cordoba baritone hanging at work and another is frequently "on loan" at a friend's house for when I drop by.

A tenor fluke in the original gig bag is tough enough to sling over my shoulder and take anywhere. I occasionally take it to the dog park on weekends. There's another gent there that frequently shows up with a guitar and we jam on occasion. The dogs seem to like it anyway.

I don't often hang out in public places but once in a while I will take the Fluke down to the waterfront park in Portland and hang out for an hour or two. It's not loud or particularly great sounding but there's something about it that just says "take me along dude!" and I'm usually glad I did!

ahoy

only been at it for a few months
    playing is mistake filled
    try try
    do over
    oh boy got it right this time
    getting better
    would not dare play in public at the VA Hospital
    Outdoor soprano was in the car
    also there is one here at the book store
    but do not play it when anybody is around

don't know how long this love affair will last
    but my oh my
    am in love

yours truly
    mac

Haha, we're on holiday, and today i made my first walk with a uke around my shoulder. Normally I'm in front becasue I have long legs, today I was trailing, because I was playing all the time. I loved it. the uke was a Kala travel soprano w. strap buttons added. Its flatness causes it to almost vanish against the body. Totally no problem manouvering with this thing around my shoulder.

I wish I could bring my uke around. I just bought a Kala to leave in my office.
    Kamaka HF-3 w/Mi-Si Pickup "Kino" | KALA KA-ZTP-CTG "Kine"
    Taylor 312ce "Noname"

"As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot."
    - John Lennon

I keep a uke in my office. A few strums here and there is great medicine for whatever ails you.

I am a nurse in a children's hospital, so I often bring my ukulele to work to play for my patients. It's also a great stress reducer to play in my office & when I take a break. My hospital is blessed with a wonderful music therapy department and they are mostly responsible for me getting a ukulele in the first place. I started messing around with one in the music room at work, and the music therapists encouraged me to get one & start learning to play. The music room is open every afternoon, and if I'm not too busy, I grab my uke and go down and jam with the music therapists, hospital volunteers & patients. Ukes, guitars, piano, bongos, mini xylophones.....you name it, we all play and have a good time.

When I got interested in the ukulele, I was looking for a portable instrument to take on my whitewater rafting trips & kayak touring trips. The ukulele is perfect. On my raft, it lives in a hard case, inside a heavy duty dry bag. It also fits neatly inside my sea kayak. It's so fun to drag out a songbook, start playing, and get my friends singing around a campfire. So far, since I started playing in April, my ukuleles have been through Stillwater Canyon on the Green River, Down the Snake & Salmon Rivers on whitewater trips, and on kayak paddling trips in Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone. Before the summer & fall are over it will go with me back to Grand Teton & down to Lake Powell. It's the best portable happiness machine ever!

For those that carry ukes around, are they mainly inexpensive ukes or do you take your expensive ukes with you? What about to uke festivals and events?
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor
    Islander AC-4 Concert (Car Uke!)

The RISA stick is made for travel. I just toss it in the suitcase (never worry about it getting broken). I usually tske a portable mini-amp just in case I want more volume.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    For those that carry ukes around, are they mainly inexpensive ukes or do you take your expensive ukes with you? What about to uke festivals and events?
    Expensive is relative I guess. I have two ukuleles and they both live in different places. One is my Mainland and the other is my Makala. I hate to label the Makala as a beater, because I think that it sounds nice and it is as easy to play as any, and I like it. But it lives in a harsher environment than the Mainland. But regardless, the ukulele that lives where I am does everything from gigging to bike rides to camping. It goes to ukulele festivals and events. So in Iowa, my Mainland is my everything, including beater. In San Juan, my Makala is the one, and it does everything from street corners to beaches. I don't have a different ukulele for every imaginable situation I might find myself. The Mainland does go visit the Makala once in a while, in which case they fight each other for my attention.
    Last edited by Rllink; 08-13-2017 at 05:20 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Thread Information