Thread: Acckkkk! I just trimmed my fingernail by mistake!

Default Acckkkk! I just trimmed my fingernail by mistake!

Oh man. What a dope. I trimmed my other nails and mistakenly trimmed my picking nail.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Oh man. What a dope. I trimmed my other nails and mistakenly trimmed my picking nail.
    I can empathize, and I know, it sucks.

Sometimes a nail gets damaged and I have to clip and/or file it back to prevent it from splitting, etc...and it takes me about 2 weeks for it to grow out to a usable length again where I can file and shape it properly.

I detest both finger picks (tried them ALL) and flatpicks on a uke, so I feel handicapped until the nail grows back.

I refuse to use fake nails that are superglued on because to me, that's just both toxic and gross..

No sense in punishing yourself over it, just use the time as an exercise in patience until the nail grows back and in the meantime try to adapt so you can still keep up your practice and playing schedule...
    Please click here for Booli's Help Page which contains tips & answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
    If you are a uke newbie, this will be good reading for you.
    [ o>==::

When I do that I use the time to practice with a flat pick. I tried finger picks but like a flat pick better, unless my nail is out good.

It'll grow out. In the meantime, learn what fun it is to pick with the pad of your thumb. I prefer it over a nail. Much easier, for me.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Yeah, what Nickie said: It will grow out.

I don't let my nails grow out - when I try, they break and catch on things, and rip off, leaving bloody hangnails. I just use the pads of my fingers, and prefer the mellow sound they give me.

Just keep playing, and keep embracing the joy of the ukulele.

-Kurt
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    In the Saying of the Ancients, If that's the worse thing you have to complain about then you are one lucky SOB!

-- Gary

Learning a lot about nail care. Educating myself. Here are two videos I like:

Fingernails Section II: Shaping the Fingernails:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWJ22B07Zo&t=474s

Nail Care and Repair for Classical Guitarists with Antigoni Goni:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgsWEIXWAg

Like many said, it will grow back. I caught my index finger nail on something just last night. It broke just a little bit. I took a trip to the local pharmacy and bought a tube of Super Glue. After I put the glue over the cracked section I took a nail file and smoothed out the dried glue. Works pretty well. After the nail grows out I carefully cut the glued section off with a nail cutter and shape the nail with a file.

Thread Information