Enya EUR-X1 Soprano Camp Uke: Looking for a bargain?

I tried using rational thinking along the "I really do't need another cheap ukulele" but gave up and ordered one anyway when I saw the "Until" note!

"Resistance is futile, buying ukuleles is inevitable!"

I would like to offer this rationale: Everyone needs to keep one extra ukulele around for emergency wedding gifts.

I ordered 4 based on feedback from the FB site. I was looking for some for young grandkids and these seem perfect. I got an extra one for me, too.

I have been contemplating getting a cheap soprano car uke to practice on while I wait for the wife to finish her shopping. I was going back and forth on a makala dolphin or a waterman (possibly even the newer concert versions). Seeing as you have experience with both of those how would you rate this enya as compared to those? I could care less about volume. Playability, sturdiness and tone are my priorities for such a setting.
Also how does the shape affect comfort when playing? One of the great things about a ukulele to me is the ability to tuck it in my arm (even tenors). I've never played a camp style so I don't quite know how that would feel.

@sagarji

Camp styles are actually usually pretty comfortable - lots of uke body to cradle. The issue with this on is how far south the bridge is. I find that when standing the arm cradling the uke ends up resting on the bridge and can be quite uncomfortable.

Er, that would require TWO MATCHING extra ukes, would it not??? :D

Seeing as its an "emergency" wedding you should get maternity clothes for the bride. The groom gets the uke in case he might need to destress while he kills some time in a hospital waiting room.

Seeing as its an "emergency" wedding you should get maternity clothes for the bride. The groom gets the uke in case he might need to destress while he kills some time in a hospital waiting room.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Well since I don't like sopranos much, I am safe from temptation - this time. But do they make a similar laminate uke in a tenor?

Yes...the whole X1 series. However...this is the only model on the $29 (US only) pricing. Everything else seems to start at the $129 entry point.

Yes...the whole X1 series. However...this is the only model on the $29 (US only) pricing. Everything else seems to start at the $129 entry point.

Their standard soprano is $105 at Amazon.

Decided to pull the trigger today, but I guess I was too late. "Currently unavailable". I immediately thought that bazmaz must of posted a review and they got flooded. Checked out gotaukulele and what do you know. Oh well can't blame anyone but myself.

oops... sorry about that! I am convinced they will come back in stock though - madness for them not to do that.

Well since I don't like sopranos much, I am safe from temptation - this time. But do they make a similar laminate uke in a tenor?

I wondered about a tenor, too. I've never had a tenor and I'm looking for a good budget one to try. They cost a good bit more than this deal!

As I said, can't blame anyone but myself. I self-sabotaged in a way. Based on ukestuff.info's review and the knowledge that you had one for review and you seemed to like it I guessed these things wouldn't last at that price till the 15th. Either they would sell out or they'd prematurely bump them back up to full price. I still procrastinated trying to weigh this against a purple transparent waterman. What finally tipped me over the edge was the removable neck on these x1s. I am curios enough about how well it works that I wanted to take a closer look. And at $30 why not. I snooze I lose. And I'd just like to say thanks for all the great content you produce. I would gladly take your timely reviews and participation in the community over scoring this cool little uke at such a deal.

Mine arrived yesterday. I think that this is a decent uke for camping or wherever you don't want to bring your good uke and it looks better than most ukes in its price range but the tone is not anything to write home about, intonation is not bad. I put on some Martin strings. I think that Aquila new Nylguts would be better on this animal but I didn't have any sitting around. For $29 I am glad to have it so I don't have to put my Mainland at risk on a bike trip.

I make it sound like I take a lot of bike trips, my wife and I went on one 60 mile round trip bike/camping trip a couple of years ago but I have gone on a few more in my head.

The next real or imaginary bike trip will feature this uke tied to the back of the bike.

At the original promotional price ~$30, this seems a more robust beater/travel uke than that disastrous Schoenhut copy of the Flea, however at 3x-4x the promo price, it's not so attractive to me any more.

I hope they offer it again at that price, otherwise if price remains ~$129, and you really want a 'camp uke', I wonder if that one painted in a baby-blue sunburst from Gretsch might be a better sounding and playing instrument...

510oKmbLiTL._SL1200_.jpg

I ordered one and it arrived today. What a bargain! The volume is a little low, but it is a very playable uke. Best $29.00 I've ever spent.
--G

At the original promotional price ~$30, this seems a more robust beater/travel uke than that disastrous Schoenhut copy of the Flea, however at 3x-4x the promo price, it's not so attractive to me any more.

I hope they offer it again at that price, otherwise if price remains ~$129, and you really want a 'camp uke', I wonder if that one painted in a baby-blue sunburst from Gretsch might be a better sounding and playing instrument...

510oKmbLiTL._SL1200_.jpg

My review remains the same - terrible volume due to bridge position, but I WOULD buy one again at the full RRP

Top Bottom