Enya EUR-X1 Soprano Camp Uke: Looking for a bargain?

We just got ours, which we bought on the strength of the reviews here. Thanks to everyone, and especially Bazmaz.

Quick impression, from a complete n00b:

Quality seems very good.
Love the roomy fret board.
Mine example is very pretty.

It is, as many noted, very quite. Probably less than half the
Volume of my economy Donner soprano.
This is good for us as we now have a ukulele that I can play in the very late night or early morning without making
enemies of my neighbor.

Overall I'm very happy.

Mine arrived (had it shipped to the office) and I opened it up with my non-musical colleague watching and even he was impressed. For what I paid it certainly seems a keeper. The round body even makes a usable bongo! I did not tune it up, I do not have that little to do at work!

One question for those who have one. Do you install the strings from inside? I guess one just inserts a string through the bridge then fishes out the end through the sound hole and puts a knot/bead on the end, then put the other end in the tuner?

Last edited:
Yeah, Barry Maz guaranteed that they sold out. :). I know that 59 were sold with my referral, not counting the 14 I bought. His reach is a lot further than mine!

I know of one other person that bought more than a dozen, for a similar reason (to put in local libraries for check out).

String change: Disconnect the string, push it through the bridge, fish it out. Cut off the beads. Then feed new strings from the top, fish them through the sound hole, tie on a bead on the sound hole end, pull tight from the top, then regular attachment to the tuning pegs. I do have a video on this on my YouTube channel if you are interested, but I think you have it.

"String change: Disconnect the string, push it through the bridge, fish it out. Cut off the beads. Then feed new strings from the top, fish them through the sound hole, tie on a bead on the sound hole end, pull tight from the top, then regular attachment to the tuning pegs. I do have a video on this on my YouTube channel if you are interested, but I think you have it."

Thanks, and then there is a knock on the door and when I open it a stranger says "Hi, I'm your Uncle Bob!" :D

I have Aquila KIDS strings, which are colored Super Nylguts on 13 of them. Possibly louder--if so, just marginally, but in my opinion, a loss of a bit of fullness to the sound. Strings are so subjective.

Bonanza Pete suggested Aquila Carbon Blacks, which I am not going to try because I am fine with the Martin 600 strings on mine, and the KIDS strings are for educational use.

Top Bottom